This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Do you notice the ads you see while browsing the internet?

#1MyExtraAccountPosted 10/23/2013 6:16:54 PM
I think about a week ago I switched a Google setting that stopped "tailored ads".

Before this, I would get very very creepy ads. Ads that nobody would know I would have a relation to at all.

For example..

I applied for a job at a certain place this week, and a few days later I am seeing ads everywhere for that place on the internet. I applied to the job in person.

My girlfriend is asian. I get the "So you like asian singles" dating ads often. There's absolutely no way the internet would know of this.

Does anybody else experience stuff like this? I think it's too specific to be coincidental..

My ads are still like this, it's creepy to think that a bunch of computers can figure out this much about my life.
---
The official Tsun of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim!
#2Digital StormPosted 10/23/2013 6:17:30 PM
What ads?
---
Ooo eee, oo ah ah, ting tang, walla walla bing bang.
#3MyExtraAccount(Topic Creator)Posted 10/23/2013 6:18:21 PM
Digital Storm posted...
What ads?

Any ads anywhere...on the internet...

Unless you are of course using an ad-blocker.
---
#4Cool_Dude667Posted 10/23/2013 6:18:37 PM
Digital Storm posted...
What ads?

This.

Install a Adblock.
---
Not changing this sig until Christ returns -- Started 30 A.D
3770K @ 4.2Ghz | 16GB Corsair Vengeance | GTX 670 SLi
#5CatToyPosted 10/23/2013 6:19:21 PM
Digital Storm posted...
What ads?

Hate to be one of those guys but....

Also Ghostery.
---
pon pon way way way ponpon way pon way pon pon, way way ponponpon way way pon way pon way way.
#6JonWood007Posted 10/23/2013 6:20:40 PM
Adblock pro and ghostery, use them.
---
Desktop: Phenom II X4 965 | 8 GB DDR3 | HD 5850 | 1 TB HDD | W7 | 650W Antec | 1600x900
Laptop: A6 3400m | 4 GB DDR3 | HD 6520g | 500 GB HDD | W7 | 1366x768
#7MyExtraAccount(Topic Creator)Posted 10/23/2013 6:21:50 PM
I understand about blocking ads, I don't really mind them.

Whats freaking me out is the fact that these ads are tailored to things that I only mention or make note of in real life.
---
#8snesmaster40Posted 10/23/2013 6:23:43 PM
Adblock plus and Noscript.
---
Are we not men?
#9wizardmonPosted 10/23/2013 6:24:52 PM
MyExtraAccount posted...
Whats freaking me out is the fact that these ads are tailored to things that I only mention or make note of in real life.

If that's freaking you out than install Ghostery and Adblock. You say you understand tailored ads but I don't understand why you are continuing to freak yourself out by not removing them.
---
I think I'm the only person on gamefaqs with a daughterboard - ToastyOne
New with a moderation history more plentiful than karma. - Fossil (Moderator)
#10MyExtraAccount(Topic Creator)Posted 10/23/2013 6:27:04 PM
wizardmon posted...
MyExtraAccount posted...

If that's freaking you out than install Ghostery and Adblock. You say you understand tailored ads but I don't understand why you are continuing to freak yourself out by not removing them.

Lol,

I'm freaked out because I do not know how the internet knows these personal things.

I've seen tailored ads before and am fine with most of them because they're usually insignificant or relate to stuff I've been doing on the internet. I'm just saying that I can't get my head around how ad companys have figured out these things about me.
---