This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

The main reason why PC gaming isn't more popular is because of infrastructure!

#1mtjormitchPosted 10/23/2013 6:21:27 PM
By that. I mean most places are not equiped to handle people downloading ten gigabyte games. This is the main reason why I personally don't play PC games. The fact of the matter is that I have the best service in Montana and yet my internet speeds appear to be going DOWN as the service keeps going. I had Bresnan and I got a kickass service and ten megabytes a second, then some other guys, optimum took over and it stayed the same, now charter took over and I am simply lucky to have a megabyte of download time on any Steam game.

The Civilization 5 demo would take me 19 hours to download... wat...

This people, is why PC gaming isn't popular, it's because of the oligopoly of internet providers trying to bleed all of us dry without giving us a quality service which is actually worth that money... I envy people on Google Fiber, I hate their guts and wish Google would come save Montana and everywhere else. I don't mind monopoly's as long as they are good, like Steam.

So yeah, Infrastructure is the main problem, not money, not bias, but the sheer fact that cable service providers are cheap.
---
Story in video games have gotten more important than gameplay nowadays. I recommend dealing with this fact and learning that this is now a storytelling medium.
#2TimePharaohPosted 10/23/2013 6:23:47 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]
#3DRAGON07891230Posted 10/23/2013 6:25:58 PM
Well, TC, I have some unfortunate news:

"So why was Google buying up all that “dark fiber” and situating itself on top of key points in the nation’s telecommunications grid? Did the still-young technology juggernaut have designs on becoming an actual internet service provider? (Ultimately, Google bought 111 Eighth Ave. for $2 billion.)

On Thursday, six years later, we got our answer. And it’s still no.
"
http://business.time.com/2012/09/14/with-google-fiber-search-giant-issues-public-challenge-get-up-to-speed/
---
_______()>===<()______........._______
[__]//P[__]======^^^^^^-------------------***** ( '_') > Uh Oh! (Unofficial Godhead of ESV boards)
#4DV8ingSourcesPosted 10/23/2013 6:29:31 PM
It's money. Good internet is generally available but as you mentioned, can be quite expensive. So yeah, its about the money.

If you have friends nearby and you both game on pc you could essentially share bandwidth by both downloading different games you both want and trading the actual data. I download my games once and back them up and so far its allowed me to avoid any major inconveniences. I pay quite a lot for my internet and its not blazing fast (25d 3u), and I have a cap yet do just fine.
---
2500k @ 4.4 | P8Z68-V Pro | H80 | 8GB | 670 | 256 ssd | 6Tb hdd | Win 8 64bit | ax1200w | BD burner | cm690II
Steam: DV8ing1
#5mtjormitch(Topic Creator)Posted 10/23/2013 6:29:59 PM
DRAGON07891230 posted...
Well, TC, I have some unfortunate news:

"So why was Google buying up all that “dark fiber” and situating itself on top of key points in the nation’s telecommunications grid? Did the still-young technology juggernaut have designs on becoming an actual internet service provider? (Ultimately, Google bought 111 Eighth Ave. for $2 billion.)

On Thursday, six years later, we got our answer. And it’s still no.
"
http://business.time.com/2012/09/14/with-google-fiber-search-giant-issues-public-challenge-get-up-to-speed/

Um... they do realize that they could quite literally strong arm throughout America if they really tried. Is Google trying to be stupid about this? They could honestly set themselves out to be the freaking bastion of internet speed.

Also, checked Speed Test, says I have 10 megabytes of download speeds... I call bullcrap on that because Steam download speeds say otherwise... wait... would a 200 foot cable for internet effect speed that much? Also, do old computers just download slower naturally?
---
Story in video games have gotten more important than gameplay nowadays. I recommend dealing with this fact and learning that this is now a storytelling medium.
#6TimePharaohPosted 10/23/2013 6:31:42 PM
mtjormitch posted...
Also, checked Speed Test, says I have 10 megabytes of download speeds... I call bullcrap on that because Steam download speeds say otherwise... wait... would a 200 foot cable for internet effect speed that much? Also, do old computers just download slower naturally?

You seem like quite the computer professional. I'm glad you've finally exposed this confusing issue and blown it wide open with you vast pool of knowledge,
---
HE are genius, firstly. - ASlaveObeys
....**** you TimePharaoh - KillerzOverHere
#7VIP86Posted 10/23/2013 6:32:17 PM
I would think it's more popular than consoles now. I know way too many people who are building gaming desktops rather than wanting to buy the upcoming consoles. Either that, or pc gamers are buying more and more games than console gamers, since most of them just buy the newest COD or Madden.

http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/97047-thank-you-farmville-pc-gaming-will-soon-overtake-consoles
---
i5-3570K| MAXIMUS V GENE| ASUS DCUII 670| CORSAIR XMS3 8GB| CORSAIR 350D| INTEL 520 180GB| CORSAIR H110i| CORSAIR AX750
#8The cranky hermitPosted 10/23/2013 6:32:22 PM
PC gaming is more popular now than it was back when retailers were the only way to get the latest PC game. Sorry, but you are deluded if you think the availability of anything in Montana is the deciding factor in the success of anything that sells worldwide.
---
http://thecrankyhermit.wikispaces.com/
Year-by-year analysis of the finest gaming has to offer, and (eventually) more!
#9mtjormitch(Topic Creator)Posted 10/23/2013 6:34:11 PM
TimePharaoh posted...
mtjormitch posted...

You seem like quite the computer professional. I'm glad you've finally exposed this confusing issue and blown it wide open with you vast pool of knowledge,

...I am not a PC gamer, just a gamer who likes playing old ass PC games due to insane download speeds and amount of memory it takes to download for newer games... I am sorry, I am not waiting 3 days to download World of Warcraft Demo!

Anyways, can anyone tell me if this 200 foot cable for internet is slowing my speeds down, if so, how do I fix that? And another thing, do older computer just download slower?
---
#10TimePharaohPosted 10/23/2013 6:40:28 PM(edited)
mtjormitch posted...
TimePharaoh posted...
mtjormitch posted...

...I am not a PC gamer, just a gamer who likes playing old ass PC games due to insane download speeds and amount of memory it takes to download for newer games... I am sorry, I am not waiting 3 days to download World of Warcraft Demo!

Anyways, can anyone tell me if this 200 foot cable for internet is slowing my speeds down, if so, how do I fix that? And another thing, do older computer just download slower?

Has literally nothing to do with playing games. Your entire post basically says "I don't understand how the internet or computers work, but let me tell you why the internet and computers don't work". You also don't seem to understand words, because Steam isn't a monopoly.

For one, your internet isn't "10 megabyte". It would be 10 megabit. Not the same thing, MBps=/=Mbps.

Next, you're questioning whether it's the length of the cable (or the age of the computer) which determines speed, and not the fact that you don't actually know how fast the internet your parents pay for is.

Then there's the fact that PC gaming is more popular than ever now, because or digital downloading.

lol at 3 days to download a demo. I can download hundreds of GB's a day, and I have over 700 games installed on my system right now. Sounds like you have a case of your parents have a horrible computer.
---
HE are genius, firstly. - ASlaveObeys
....**** you TimePharaoh - KillerzOverHere