This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

The main reason why PC gaming isn't more popular is because of infrastructure!

#41alhvatrPosted 10/23/2013 9:27:19 PM
I hate Stalker because of the stupid camera bounce. That drives me insane and gives me a headache. Have the creators for that game ever walked anywhere?

http://stalker.filefront.com/file/No_Headbobbing_Mini_Mod;77365
---
For the moon and the sun and for the winds I've sung,
hear how the lovely tones dance upon my tongue.
#42JKatarnPosted 10/24/2013 7:27:08 PM
The cranky hermit posted...
Sorry for caps, I just hate it when people don't explain anything at all,

Everything has been explained to you, by multiple people. The problem is you aren't reading them. You expect a certain answer, and if the correct answer is something else, you won't make any attempt to understand it.

A.) Convenience - pop in a disc and go, system/game updates are downloaded automatically after the console is hooked into your home network

Wrong. Consoles are less convenient at this point. Recently my PS3 locked me out of using it for almost 20 minutes while it downloaded and installed an update whose main purpose was to call the online service [PSN] instead of [Playstation Network]. Updates on PC are faster and don't lock me out of using it.

B.) Consistent Performance - Don't have to worry about software/hardware compatibility/issues with games (though major problems in this area are relatively rare in PC gaming)

Wrong. Consoles have consistently *poor* performance with many games. This is not preferable to having games that perform as well as your hardware can handle them.

C.) Less/no hardware maintenance.

Also wrong. I've replaced my PS3 twice since 2008. Meanwhile my PC is just as old, and I haven't had to replace anything, and if I did, I could simply send for a new part instead of having to ship back the entire thing like I did with my PS3 (and in the meantime lose all of my saves, which REALLY blows).

A.) Updates like these aren't as common as people seem to think, and again, many people would prefer to have the system automatically get everything it needs vs. browsing through HP/Asus etc. site trying to narrow down your system/mobo model and then hope that windows doesn't somehow bork the driver install (which is rare if you have half a brain, but still, it's an extra step)

B.) Again, I have heard this as a plus from people who like the fact that they know their performance will be relatively consistent, game is tested on their hardware/everyone in MP is on a level playing field performance wise.

C.) Again, this is hit or miss, while yes, the earliest models of newer consoles are often less reliable, the first updates of a console onward are usually fairly stable. Also, you'd have to have the knowledge to know what your system supports/power requirements etc. with computer.

None of these are insurmountable obstacles, and as I said I'm first and foremost a PC gamer, but obviously they are fairly important to many people as the console market by far dwarfs the PC gaming market.
---
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 Windforce OC
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES
#43The cranky hermitPosted 10/25/2013 3:00:02 PM
A.) Updates like these aren't as common as people seem to think

They happen often enough that "pop in a disc and go" is no longer an accurate description of how consoles work.

and again, many people would prefer to have the system automatically get everything it needs vs. browsing through HP/Asus etc. site trying to narrow down your system/mobo model and then hope that windows doesn't somehow bork the driver install (which is rare if you have half a brain, but still, it's an extra step)

I haven't had to navigate my motherboard manufacturer's website in a very long time. Windows update does everything for me, and unlike PS3 update, it doesn't block me from using my PC while updating stuff.

B.) Again, I have heard this as a plus from people who like the fact that they know their performance will be relatively consistent, game is tested on their hardware/everyone in MP is on a level playing field performance wise.

This is complete nonsense. Console ports, especially to PS3, don't even have consistent frame rates. They cap low, and frequently drop below that during heavy loads. There's absolutely nothing positive about that, and anyone who says otherwise is doing whatever the inverse of sour-graping is.

C.) Again, this is hit or miss, while yes, the earliest models of newer consoles are often less reliable, the first updates of a console onward are usually fairly stable.

Then unless you can show that consoles become exponentially more popular when these "stable" models come out, you can't use "stability" as a reason that consoles are more popular than PCs.

Also, you'd have to have the knowledge to know what your system supports/power requirements etc. with computer.

Not really. If a part fails, you order a similar part to replace it.
---
http://thecrankyhermit.wikispaces.com/
Year-by-year analysis of the finest gaming has to offer, and (eventually) more!
#44arleasPosted 10/25/2013 3:28:31 PM
anyone who says otherwise is doing whatever the inverse of sour-graping is.

Google says that's "Sweet Lemons" where you talk about something bad as if it was the best thing ever so it looks like they made the right choice even if they didn't.

I don't have anything else to add... I just saw that comment and wondered what it would be and found an answer.
---
http://astats.astats.nl/astats/astats_card_76561197969913402.png
http://i.imgur.com/ByJEpRK.gif
#45Xeeh_BitzPosted 10/25/2013 3:37:00 PM
PC Gaming, LOL
---
Best Windows ever, Windows 8.1!
#46NingishzidaPosted 10/25/2013 6:04:18 PM
The cranky hermit posted...
This is complete nonsense. Console ports, especially to PS3, don't even have consistent frame rates. They cap low, and frequently drop below that during heavy loads. There's absolutely nothing positive about that, and anyone who says otherwise is doing whatever the inverse of sour-graping is.

Dark Souls' Lagtown is a case in point.

I've seen filthy console peasants on the PS3 board maintain they prefer low or inconsistent framerates, as that adds "texture" and "extra challenge" to the game-play.