This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

AMD R9-290x reviews are out (faster than Titan at half the price)

#51EpicKingdom_Posted 10/24/2013 2:23:17 AM
I must get one!?!? D:
---
http://www.youtube.com/user/PCGamingMasterRace87/videos
#52Cruzader619Posted 10/24/2013 2:29:42 AM
Twice the heat and power consumption? :D
---
"If you commit suicide on this forest, bears will poop on your corpse."
#53_GRIM_FANDANGO_Posted 10/24/2013 5:06:43 AM(edited)
Links_Big_Key posted...
Shows how ridiculously overpriced the Titan/780/770 are. Even with brand appeal on its side it will have to cut the 780 price by at least $100.

Not all that sure about this. Here in Holland I can get a MSI Twin Frozr 780 for just 35-40 euros more. Out of the box, that r9 290x will outperform it . However, the 780 runs much cooler and has more overclocking potential. If you would overclock it can actually outperform the r9 290x while still getting better temperatures.

Personally I would go for the 780 with a better cooler. As things are now, I find the GTX 780 still a more elegant solution. In terms of heat, noise and power consumption I find this card unappealing.

Not that I would spend the money to buy either card though.
---
I5 3570 | GTX 760 | FILCO Majestouch 2 tenkeyless | Zowie FK | Asus Xonar DGX | Kingston 120 GB SSD | Sennheiser HD 518 | Samsung S24A350H
#54Logical_OnePosted 10/24/2013 6:09:47 AM
_GRIM_FANDANGO_ posted...
Links_Big_Key posted...
Shows how ridiculously overpriced the Titan/780/770 are. Even with brand appeal on its side it will have to cut the 780 price by at least $100.

Not all that sure about this. Here in Holland I can get a MSI Twin Frozr 780 for just 35-40 euros more. Out of the box, that r9 290x will outperform it . However, the 780 runs much cooler and has more overclocking potential. If you would overclock it can actually outperform the r9 290x while still getting better temperatures.

Personally I would go for the 780 with a better cooler. As things are now, I find the GTX 780 still a more elegant solution. In terms of heat, noise and power consumption I find this card unappealing.

Not that I would spend the money to buy either card though.

QFT.
---
Gamefaqs....the land where pokemon is the holy grail and final fantasy is God himself--Raptorleon3
#55Flaktrooper123Posted 10/24/2013 6:19:57 AM
DiehardFFv2 posted...
Auron_59261 posted...
It does beat the Titan in quite a few, even at 1440p. All around they're trading blows. What's most impressive is the cost. Now I'm REALLY considering selling this 7970 and upgrading -_-

It would be cheaper and more advantageous to just get a second one.

Yeah, you can crossfire a 7970 with an R9 280x, so don't just throw it away.
#56Xeeh_BitzPosted 10/24/2013 6:35:28 AM
The card is pushing its heat limits, in games it hits 94c without an oc. The card doesn't OC well at all, getting an extra 100 is damn impossible without lockups

Attempting to overclock the R9 290X revealed that the GPU is basically already giving its all. We managed to extract another 90MHz (9% gain) for a core speed of 1090MHz. However, the card's GDDR5 memory skipped from 5GHz to 6.4GHz without any problems.

http://www.techspot.com/review/727-radeon-r9-290x/page9.html

Doesn't seem like I'll be swapping out my Titan for this mess, considering it OCs and performs 34% past the benchmarks. Price doesn't mean nothing, since the Titan released February of this year and this is releasing at the end of the year. If you don't own anything high end, I suggest waiting until Nvidia does something to counter or at least wait until non-reference cards because reference cards aren't good other than performance
---
Best Windows ever, Windows 8.1!
#57CheeseCurlsPosted 10/24/2013 6:36:55 AM
Xeeh_Bitz posted...
The card is pushing its heat limits, in games it hits 94c without an oc. The card doesn't OC well at all, getting an extra 100 is damn impossible without lockups

Attempting to overclock the R9 290X revealed that the GPU is basically already giving its all. We managed to extract another 90MHz (9% gain) for a core speed of 1090MHz. However, the card's GDDR5 memory skipped from 5GHz to 6.4GHz without any problems.

Doesn't seem like I'll be swapping out my Titan for this mess, considering it OCs and performs 34% past the benchmarks. Price doesn't mean nothing, since the Titan released February of this year and this is releasing at the end of the year. If you don't own anything high end, I suggest waiting until Nvidia does something to counter or at least wait until non-reference cards because reference cards aren't good other than performance
reference cards are good for SLI and crossfire, since aftermarket coolers (non blower fans that they all use) choke in multi GPU setups
---
Perhaps I am already insane, and am just the last to know.
#58CelebratoxPosted 10/24/2013 6:47:22 AM(edited)
On one hand you have this new amazing card at a price point we haven't seen in a flagship since around 2011 (Titan made all other flagship prices ****ing ridiculous).

On the other hand, Nvidia is coming out with G-sync soon, and that's huge. Huge enough for me to ignore this amazing card from AMD and buy a new monitor with a GTX 780 and take the price/performance hit. Saying goodbye to Vsync problems is something I've wanted to do for over a decade. I honestly didn't think it would happen for years, if ever. I figured it would forever remain one of those annoyances not considered important enough to be dealt with.

I never thought I'd see myself willingly pass on a card that was cheaper and more powerful, but Nvidia really has a huge trump card with G-sync. For once they came out with a proprietary Nvidia-only tech that I actually give a **** about.

---
ASUS Sabertooth P67] i7 2600k w/Antec Kuhler] Vengence 8GB 1866] EVGA GTX 580] Corsair CMPSU-850HX]
#59Xeeh_BitzPosted 10/24/2013 6:41:20 AM
CheeseCurls posted...
Xeeh_Bitz posted...

reference cards are good for SLI and crossfire, since aftermarket coolers (non blower fans that they all use) choke in multi GPU setups

I don't think these cards would manage too well on air in a CF configuration since the top card would hit its heat limit way before the bottom. These cards are great for water cooling. I say we'd see great performance out of them but these reference cards are choking on the heat.
---
Best Windows ever, Windows 8.1!
#60CheeseCurlsPosted 10/24/2013 6:48:57 AM
Xeeh_Bitz posted...
CheeseCurls posted...
Xeeh_Bitz posted...

I don't think these cards would manage too well on air in a CF configuration since the top card would hit its heat limit way before the bottom. These cards are great for water cooling. I say we'd see great performance out of them but these reference cards are choking on the heat.
reference coolers don't tend to run any hotter in crossfire than without underload, I'm running trifire 6970s and its what I experience (an these damn things hit 90 under load, so the R9 290x isn't much worse)

Techreport has also already reviewed crossfire 290x
---
Perhaps I am already insane, and am just the last to know.