This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What are some signs that your computer usage is exceeding the PSU limit?

#1MrMonkhousePosted 10/23/2013 10:29:44 PM
Let's say my Kill-A-Watt says I'm using 500W and I only have a 600W PSU. What do I do?
---
http://i.imgur.com/r9pppzV.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/BcGVG.gif
#2my_name_is_EdPosted 10/23/2013 10:37:14 PM
He's got those jumpin jumpin Jigg-o-watts!
---
http://i.imgur.com/cSf50Qs.png
#3JKatarnPosted 10/23/2013 10:39:05 PM
Poor framerates in games, poor performance while running intensive applications - black screens, monitor shutting off, computer shutting off etc etc etc. - if you are exceeding the limit of your power supply you have two options: a.) downgrade your hardware and/or lower settings so you're not putting so much strain on your psu or b.) upgrade your psu.
---
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 Windforce OC
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES
#4MrMonkhouse(Topic Creator)Posted 10/23/2013 10:43:11 PM
I'm already playing low settings in my games... but the meter says the usage keeps going up. BF3 used to be 200W on low settings... a few weeks later it was 280W.... then 350W.... then 400W... then 490W... now its at 500W.
---
http://i.imgur.com/r9pppzV.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/BcGVG.gif
#5TheMadTokerPosted 10/23/2013 11:13:57 PM
dowloadmorewatts.com
---
Pull my finger.
#6JKatarnPosted 10/24/2013 9:04:28 AM
MrMonkhouse posted...
I'm already playing low settings in my games... but the meter says the usage keeps going up. BF3 used to be 200W on low settings... a few weeks later it was 280W.... then 350W.... then 400W... then 490W... now its at 500W.

That's definitely not normal, sounds like your PSU is on its way out. When you're looking at PSUs, I would stick to reliable brands like Antec, Cooler Master, Corsair, Enermax etc. as they are far more likely to provide reliable, stable power that is very near/at their rated wattage. Cheaper/offbrand power supplies often do not provide their stated wattage/amps under load, which can of course be problematic.
---
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 Windforce OC
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES
#7ShubPosted 10/24/2013 9:15:48 AM(edited)
MrMonkhouse posted...
Let's say my Kill-A-Watt says I'm using 500W and I only have a 600W PSU. What do I do?

You do nothing, that's perfectly fine. Your Kill-A-Watt measures how much power your entire computer is consuming at the wall. Your PSU can supply 600W of power to the computer. Assuming your PSU is 85% efficient, it means that if your computer was drawing 600W from the PSU, your Kill-A-Watt would say you're using about 700W.

A typical sign that your PSU is insufficient is when you put a certain load on your computer and it just shuts down abruptly. Of course when that occurs you also want to check that your temperatures are normal before automatically assuming it's the PSU.

MrMonkhouse posted...

Agreed, that's not normal, but it could be your Kill-A-Watt acting up. Higher power consumption would usually mean the PSU would generate more heat, which would make the fan go faster. Have you noticed it getting noisier?

JKatarn posted...
I would stick to reliable brands like Antec, Cooler Master, Corsair, Enermax etc.

You wanna be careful with Cooler Master and Enermax. Cooler Master has a majority of junkyard units (although they're getting better at this), and Enermax has some very mediocre units when you're looking at their lower-priced units.
OCZ, Rosewill, XFX have had some good units and are usually very reasonably priced.

JKatarn posted...
Poor framerates in games, poor performance while running intensive applications - black screens, monitor shutting off, computer shutting off etc etc etc. - if you are exceeding the limit of your power supply you have two options: a.) downgrade your hardware and/or lower settings so you're not putting so much strain on your psu or b.) upgrade your psu.

None of that should happen with a good PSU, actually, unless it's defective. Either it provides enough power, or it doesn't. If it can't provide the power which the computer is requesting, it should shut down, no questions asked. It won't just shut down the monitor (which has nothing to do with the PSU). A good PSU is good up to 100% of its rating. If it has voltage regulation issues at high loads, then it's not a good unit, or it's defective, but instability is a symptom of poor voltage regulation, not of insufficient power.

I'm surprised no one has asked yet what the PSU in question actually is :)
---
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.
#8KeeperofthedarkPosted 10/24/2013 10:12:55 AM(edited)
Shub posted...
MrMonkhouse posted...

You do nothing, that's perfectly fine. Your Kill-A-Watt measures how much power your entire computer is consuming at the wall. Your PSU can supply 600W of power to the computer. Assuming your PSU is 85% efficient, it means that if your computer was drawing 600W from the PSU, your Kill-A-Watt would say you're using about 700W.

A typical sign that your PSU is insufficient is when you put a certain load on your computer and it just shuts down abruptly. Of course when that occurs you also want to check that your temperatures are normal before automatically assuming it's the PSU.

MrMonkhouse posted...

Agreed, that's not normal, but it could be your Kill-A-Watt acting up. Higher power consumption would usually mean the PSU would generate more heat, which would make the fan go faster. Have you noticed it getting noisier?

JKatarn posted...
I would stick to reliable brands like Antec, Cooler Master, Corsair, Enermax etc.

You wanna be careful with Cooler Master and Enermax. Cooler Master has a majority of junkyard units (although they're getting better at this), and Enermax has some very mediocre units when you're looking at their lower-priced units.
OCZ, Rosewill, XFX have had some good units and are usually very reasonably priced.

JKatarn posted...

None of that should happen with a good PSU, actually, unless it's defective. Either it provides enough power, or it doesn't. If it can't provide the power which the computer is requesting, it should shut down, no questions asked. It won't just shut down the monitor (which has nothing to do with the PSU). A good PSU is good up to 100% of its rating. If it has voltage regulation issues at high loads, then it's not a good unit, or it's defective, but instability is a symptom of poor voltage regulation, not of insufficient power.

I'm surprised no one has asked yet what the PSU in question actually is :)

Huh. A positive and informative post. Good job :)
Now why can't we have more people like you instead of ShadowThaReaper...
#9BogePosted 10/24/2013 11:37:35 AM
My nephews system recently had a PSU issue not putting out enough. He said he was playing and his screen just blanked out and wouldn't come back on. After troubleshooting, I realized it wasn't his monitor. I took his video card out and was able to boot up with visual from his onboard GPU.

I noticed one of his fans really struggling to spin. I went into the bios and saw some voltage issues with his system. It was then I decided it was his power supply.

That's the only time I've dealt with an issue like that before.
---
Don't lie to someone who trusts you.
Don't trust someone who lies to you.
#10WyzeGyePosted 10/24/2013 11:40:21 AM
Keeperofthedark posted...

Huh. A positive and informative post. Good job :)
Now why can't we have more people like you instead of ShadowThaReaper...

Hey now, I actually helped somebody yesterday. Made me feel all warm and fuzzy.
---
http://pcpartpicker.com/b/GCJ
http://youtu.be/0eSfcUzGTdk