This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Getting a PC in about a week, question regarding RAM

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Getting a PC in about a week, question regarding RAM

User Info: DG1up

DG1up
3 years ago#1
Im getting a gateway E-2610 desktop to use in my room since my laptops keep screwing up. Its not my ideal choice but I got it for $109 total and Im short on cash so it all works out. Im already getting the VGA converter, wireless keyboard, and audio cables so that I can use it with my TV. However, I have a couple of questions:

1. I can only have a maximum of 4GB DDR2 Ram. The desktop comes with three. Can anybody tell me why I'm limited to this?
If you believe in Jesus Christ and are 100% proud of it, put this in your sig.

User Info: mess98

mess98
3 years ago#2
It's probably an old/terrible motherboard that doesn't support anything newer.
Windows 8.1.Core i7 4770.Geforce GTX 660 Ti.8GB Ram.
(message deleted)

DG1up
3 years ago#4
I looked up how much itd cost to get a new motherboard and wow they are pretty expensive. I dont plan on using this desktop for anything more than school projects, a text simulator game, and some heavy youtube and netflix streaming.

I will probably just get a Mac for serious stuff whenever I get a better paying job.

User Info: Bellum_Sacrum

Bellum_Sacrum
3 years ago#5
You're probably getting a 32-bit operating system.
"Now go ahead and leap ignorantly to the defense of wealthy game companies who don't know or care about you."

User Info: MasterDonGero

MasterDonGero
3 years ago#6
DG1up posted...
I looked up how much itd cost to get a new motherboard and wow they are pretty expensive. I dont plan on using this desktop for anything more than school projects, a text simulator game, and some heavy youtube and netflix streaming.

I will probably just get a Mac for serious stuff whenever I get a better paying job.

>complains about motherboards costing too much
>wants to buy a Mac in the future

Really?
3570K (4.8 GHz) | Dual-X 7970 | ASRock Z77 OC Formula | Corsair Vengeance 2x 4 GB | WD Black 1 TB | Corsair TX750 | XSPC Raystorm 750 RS240 Kit | NZXT Phantom

User Info: mess98

mess98
3 years ago#7
If you replace your motherboard then you need to get a new CPU because chances are you won't be able to find a motherboard with your socket.

But hey,

That PC will be fine for what you're going to be doing.
Windows 8.1.Core i7 4770.Geforce GTX 660 Ti.8GB Ram.

DG1up
3 years ago#8
MasterDonGero posted...
DG1up posted...

Really?

Getting a decent spec Mac seems to be a lot cheaper than getting a new motherboard from the prices that I've seen (>$1000)

But I changed my mind on that since posting. I'll probably just get a custom PC for $600-$700 that'll be able to do the things that I need it to.

User Info: TravisCombs

TravisCombs
3 years ago#9
Getting a decent spec Mac seems to be a lot cheaper than getting a new motherboard from the prices that I've seen (>$1000)

You can build an entire PC for under $1000. Where are you getting motherboards that expensive?
i5-760 @3.80GHz | 12GB G.Skill DDR3-1600 | MSI GTX 660Ti | Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD3 | 1TB WD Caviar Black | Corsair TX650 | Antec 300 Illusion | Windows 7

User Info: MasterDonGero

MasterDonGero
3 years ago#10
DG1up posted...
MasterDonGero posted...
DG1up posted...

Really?

But I changed my mind on that since posting. I'll probably just get a custom PC for $600-$700 that'll be able to do the things that I need it to.

>looking at $1000+ motherboards

Confirmed for troll.
3570K (4.8 GHz) | Dual-X 7970 | ASRock Z77 OC Formula | Corsair Vengeance 2x 4 GB | WD Black 1 TB | Corsair TX750 | XSPC Raystorm 750 RS240 Kit | NZXT Phantom
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Getting a PC in about a week, question regarding RAM

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived