This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Holy crap, the 290X gets up to 94 degrees C under load!

#21SinisterSlayPosted 10/24/2013 7:34:35 AM
AlleRacing posted...
KtuluheroII posted...
>C
>Not using K

Top lel

You know that we've reached temperatures below what used to be considered absolute zero, right? The Kelvin scale doesn't carry much meaning any more.

We have?

Do you have links for source?
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#22UnderwaterAirPosted 10/24/2013 7:48:21 AM
We can go below 0 Kelvin. There are a number of scientific articles about it.
http://www.nature.com/news/quantum-gas-goes-below-absolute-zero-1.12146

Here's a news article written up about it with some decent references at the bottom if you're more interested.
However, the Kelvin scale is still relevant. I don't know why this AlleRacing would assume it doesn't matter anymore. lol

It's like saying the speed limit on the road is 30mph and that mph doesn't matter anymore because cars can go 31mph... wtf? xD

===========

At 94c and being as loud as it is, I don't want the 290X. I had my share of that 50+ dB and 94c with the GTX 470. No more, no thanks.
#23occonoPosted 10/24/2013 7:51:54 AM
I can't wait for the 290Xm.
#24Snuckie7Posted 10/24/2013 11:20:47 AM
sefsefsefsef posted...
It's designed to always try to run at 95C (or 1GHz, whichever comes first), regardless of what cooler is on it. A better cooler won't lower its temperature below 95C, but it will allow it to hit 1GHz more often. Water cooling will probably allow 1GHz all the time with lower temperatures.

Also, why don't people understand the relationship between temperature, thermal energy, and power?

It doesn't necessarily have to run at 95C. There appears to be a temperature target in CCC that works similarly to GPU Boost 2.0.

http://media.bestofmicro.com/2/P/405745/original/CCC-default.jpg

A better cooler will allow the card to maintain maximum clocks without operating at 95C.
---
Intel Core i7 3820 | EVGA X79 SLI K2 | MSI 7950 Twin Frozr III | Samsung / 840 120GB / 8GB RAM | 1TB WD Caviar Blue | Corsair / 550D / H70 | Silencer MKIII 600W
#25DarkZV2BetaPosted 10/24/2013 11:25:22 AM
Snuckie7 posted...
It'd be more appropriate if you replaced "290X" with "the 290X reference cooler".

Power consumption is power consumption. Given how much it's eating, one could expect it to be a relatively hot chip on any cooler.
Kind of kills it for a SFFPC card.
---
Want that Shield!
Ball and Cup on ps mobile has framerate issues. -stargazer64
#26schadowPosted 10/24/2013 6:38:42 PM
AlleRacing posted...
KtuluheroII posted...
>C
>Not using K

Top lel

You know that we've reached temperatures below what used to be considered absolute zero, right? The Kelvin scale doesn't carry much meaning any more.

Temperature is a function of atomic energy states, and as such it doesn't suddenly become invalidated when we figure out how to make new energy configurations in a lab. For example, it just becomes a negative temperature. But this is a quantum state that doesn't exist in "real life" so people have a hard time relating to it, much like with any other quantum phenomenon.

Also, what's more interesting is the spam bots in the comments:

The normal temperature, N, measured by thermometers, is an indication of hot versus cold, and reflects how much the particles being measured are moving around. It has an Absolute Zero, because you cannot move at less then zero speed.bars for hire

This can easily be done in any cold atom laboratory. I would like someone to correct me if I am wrong. Or maybe you can use the Blinds Whitstable services.
---
MageofBlood391 posted...
GameFAQs: Because if all else fails, you can always argue semantics.