This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Are you worried about the future of PC gaming?

#1KidIcarootsPosted 10/24/2013 6:02:07 AM
Let's face it. PC gaming right now is a true gamer's heaven. Cheap games, free games, great emulators (mods, remember that emulators are not illegal, nor copyright infringement. You can play legally bought games on emulators too, not just pirated stuff), great services (Steam), DRM free games (Gog.com), plenty of options (every other store front). It just can't get much better than this. But it could get a hell of a lot worse.
#2MalekuPosted 10/24/2013 6:04:46 AM
Feeling pretty optimistic over here.

This will probably be the first generation where I do not buy a console to compliment my PC gaming.
#3ThePCElitistPosted 10/24/2013 6:04:47 AM
No and it's only the delusional console gamers that say PC gaming is dying.
---
When I'm Miqo'te
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3LGf9SSWrU
#4arleasPosted 10/24/2013 6:22:48 AM
I would only be worried about the future of PC gaming if I thought that the future of Microsoft = The future of PC gaming. Kickstarter has pretty well rescued a lot of "forgotten" genres of games and I expect that in the future it'll only get better.
---
http://raptr.com/badge/dc821beb3ce7e522d4d6721ba24c11e0/fs.png
http://i.imgur.com/r5PgL.gif
#5Nagisa_ShinjuPosted 10/24/2013 6:56:24 AM
I'm more worried about my PC unable to keep up. Nothing an upgrade won't fix though. I think I may skip out on the next gen of consoles entirely. I just got a PS3 this year, worked up a backlog...and now I'm almost done with it. Only about 3 games left. I wish I could say that about my Steam library...

I think my money is better spent on a stronger GPU rather than a new console.
#6Bellum_SacrumPosted 10/24/2013 7:32:25 AM
Newsflash: PC gaming was relevant back in the late 90s, early 2ks.

Now 90% of the games are ports and PC gamers have regressed to casuals so pathetically desperate, they're happy to embrace a DRM platform as their lord and saviour.
---
"Now go ahead and leap ignorantly to the defense of wealthy game companies who don't know or care about you."
#7Worknofun370Posted 10/24/2013 7:41:17 AM
My only concern has to do with the future of the PC in general. If the PC, as it is today, will be around for the next 20+ years... PC gaming is at no risk at all.

If PCs continue to morph and things become more and more mobile/tablet etc focused... I'm not as sure, just from a hardware/software support stand point rather than game devs abandoning the platform.

I currently believe the latter is the direction we are going in. However, just because I believe that doesn't make it so, only time will tell.
#8NicodimusPosted 10/24/2013 8:02:14 AM
The only thing that worries me is how little the masses care about quality. The main draw of PC gaming to me is having the best quality because I'm willing to pay more for it. If there comes a time when only a handful of people are willing to do that, they'll stop selling PCs as we know them, and everybody will be stuck with some cheap POS tablet that can't do anything well.
---
Intel i5 4670K | Corsair 16GB DDR3 | Gigabyte GTX 770 4GB | ASUS 27" 1440p
Corsair 480GB SSD | WD 4TB HDD | Fractal Design R4 | Corsair 750MX | Win7Ult 64
#9KidIcaroots(Topic Creator)Posted 10/24/2013 8:38:37 AM
Bellum_Sacrum posted...
Newsflash: PC gaming was relevant back in the late 90s, early 2ks.

Now 90% of the games are ports and PC gamers have regressed to casuals so pathetically desperate, they're happy to embrace a DRM platform as their lord and saviour.

In this years GDC, a poll was made to ask developers what platforms they were developing for. Guess what? The majority is doing PC and something else (console, tablets, smartphones, facebook, etc.).

You being a console fanboy wouldn't even understand how huge is the gap between PC and consoles is. :)
#10HydroCannabinolPosted 10/24/2013 8:46:01 AM
Nicodimus posted...
The only thing that worries me is how little the masses care about quality. The main draw of PC gaming to me is having the best quality because I'm willing to pay more for it. If there comes a time when only a handful of people are willing to do that, they'll stop selling PCs as we know them, and everybody will be stuck with some cheap POS tablet that can't do anything well.

I hate when people say this it makes them seem so ignorant...

Do you people not realize computers aren't just for gaming? Desktops will always be around because the power will always be needed. You cannot have datacenters full of tablets... well you could, but it would be horribly inefficient. If anything, large desktops will fade out and gaming PCs will be in really small formfactors because all that is needed is an ITX motherboard and a small case which is fine by me.

Unless you think game developers will stop making games for PC at all which is also laughable. As long as consoles are around, which they will be, we will have tons of games.
---
Steam ID: Mind_Explosion
I thought I chose very easy, not brand new to the game. - CheesyPhil