This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Are you worried about the future of PC gaming?

#11Worknofun370Posted 10/24/2013 9:02:26 AM
HydroCannabinol posted...
Nicodimus posted...
The only thing that worries me is how little the masses care about quality. The main draw of PC gaming to me is having the best quality because I'm willing to pay more for it. If there comes a time when only a handful of people are willing to do that, they'll stop selling PCs as we know them, and everybody will be stuck with some cheap POS tablet that can't do anything well.

I hate when people say this it makes them seem so ignorant...

Do you people not realize computers aren't just for gaming? Desktops will always be around because the power will always be needed. You cannot have datacenters full of tablets... well you could, but it would be horribly inefficient. If anything, large desktops will fade out and gaming PCs will be in really small formfactors because all that is needed is an ITX motherboard and a small case which is fine by me.

Unless you think game developers will stop making games for PC at all which is also laughable. As long as consoles are around, which they will be, we will have tons of games.

I can certainly see your vision happening. Gaming PCs just becoming small form factors... but I'm not as convinced that's what's going to happen.

First, yes servers will be around for the foreseeable future. But that has no real impact on Desktops (It's not like datacenters have racks full of desktops now, and it's not like servers really have gaming components inside of them... for the most part) That being said, Workstations will always be around as well.

My biggest concern with the future of PC gaming will be with the consumer software (i.e. directions OSes are going) and the market share power of tablets to overtake Desktops in the home. "Desktops" will likely always be around for workstation reasons, but if the trend to tablets/mobile continues at the rate it has been, the home PC could easily be a thing of the past in 15-20 years.

If that happens (and I would never disagree that a lot of things would need to happen for that vision to become a reality) than yes.. I do think developers will stop making games for the PC because the demand simply wouldn't be there.

Only time will tell what will happen though.
#12HydroCannabinolPosted 10/24/2013 9:07:36 AM
Worknofun370 posted...
HydroCannabinol posted...
Nicodimus posted...
The only thing that worries me is how little the masses care about quality. The main draw of PC gaming to me is having the best quality because I'm willing to pay more for it. If there comes a time when only a handful of people are willing to do that, they'll stop selling PCs as we know them, and everybody will be stuck with some cheap POS tablet that can't do anything well.

I hate when people say this it makes them seem so ignorant...

Do you people not realize computers aren't just for gaming? Desktops will always be around because the power will always be needed. You cannot have datacenters full of tablets... well you could, but it would be horribly inefficient. If anything, large desktops will fade out and gaming PCs will be in really small formfactors because all that is needed is an ITX motherboard and a small case which is fine by me.

Unless you think game developers will stop making games for PC at all which is also laughable. As long as consoles are around, which they will be, we will have tons of games.

I can certainly see your vision happening. Gaming PCs just becoming small form factors... but I'm not as convinced that's what's going to happen.

First, yes servers will be around for the foreseeable future. But that has no real impact on Desktops (It's not like datacenters have racks full of desktops now, and it's not like servers really have gaming components inside of them... for the most part) That being said, Workstations will always be around as well.

My biggest concern with the future of PC gaming will be with the consumer software (i.e. directions OSes are going) and the market share power of tablets to overtake Desktops in the home. "Desktops" will likely always be around for workstation reasons, but if the trend to tablets/mobile continues at the rate it has been, the home PC could easily be a thing of the past in 15-20 years.

If that happens (and I would never disagree that a lot of things would need to happen for that vision to become a reality) than yes.. I do think developers will stop making games for the PC because the demand simply wouldn't be there.

Only time will tell what will happen though.

But why would the demand disappear? You act like every gamer will want to play on a console or a smartphone. They can already do that now. The only difference is in 30 years our desktops will be small boxes the size of a toaster and will probably be running Linux.

This is why i'm glad SteamOS is coming. It will help shift developers towards Linux and open source OS. We don't have to worry about future OS's because we will have open source OS forever and no one can take that away.

I just don't see how PC gaming will magically disappear because you think 'computers' will no longer be in homes and only graphics designers and business will use workstations. Just doesn't make sense to me.

jus my 2 cents tho
---
Steam ID: Mind_Explosion
I thought I chose very easy, not brand new to the game. - CheesyPhil
#13KidIcaroots(Topic Creator)Posted 10/24/2013 9:13:59 AM
Nicodimus posted...

You understood my point. With Microsoft closing up Windows, and Steam seeming like they might take the same path with Steam OS, I worry PC gaming will be forced "out of the zone" by these marketing decisions. Also, with decreasing sales of PCs, production is reduced and prices rise.

The essential difference between PC gaming and other platforms is the freedom that PC gives you to do what you want with it. This is what makes the software prices lower, the library infinitely bigger and everything so much more configurable and scalable. If PC operating systems become closed like iOS, we are f&$%.
#14kjellboyPosted 10/24/2013 9:16:02 AM
Why should I be? :)
---
| Mobo: Asus P8Z68-V Pro | CPU: Intel i5 2500k | GPU: Asus DirectCU II OC GTX 680 | RAM: 8 GB |
#15KidIcaroots(Topic Creator)Posted 10/24/2013 9:24:43 AM
kjellboy posted...

Because it's possible.
#16HydroCannabinolPosted 10/24/2013 9:27:06 AM
KidIcaroots posted...
kjellboy posted...

Because it's possible.

It's possible all games will be banned and there will be a huge push for education and a resurgence of intellect and our race will excel as a whole and we will learn to further push the limits of quantum physics and understanding the human genome.

I wish
---
Steam ID: Mind_Explosion
I thought I chose very easy, not brand new to the game. - CheesyPhil
#17Digital StormPosted 10/24/2013 9:35:47 AM
No, because I don't worry about anything.
---
Ooo eee, oo ah ah, ting tang, walla walla bing bang.
#18jake-sfPosted 10/24/2013 9:36:35 AM
Its the worst year of PC gaming so far, so yes I'm worried about the state of it, most importantly the state of the GAMES themselves. Its the equivalent of the entire music industry devolving into dubstep and rap. (not saying it has)

I'm not worried about it in the sense that I'm afraid it will disapear. Idiots and casuals are going to it slowly yes, but that is a TERRIBLE thing right now.
---
http://www.youtube.com/user/SFJake250?feature=watch
http://sfjake.zxq.net/
#19SzymaaPosted 10/24/2013 9:40:33 AM
jake-sf posted...
Its the worst year of PC gaming so far, so yes I'm worried about the state of it, most importantly the state of the GAMES themselves. Its the equivalent of the entire music industry devolving into dubstep and rap. (not saying it has)

I'm not worried about it in the sense that I'm afraid it will disapear. Idiots and casuals are going to it slowly yes, but that is a TERRIBLE thing right now.

I kinda agree with this. The state of the industry in general concerns me more than any one specific platform. I think the tipping point of the AAA Bubble is coming sooner rather than later. All it takes is one major title (like a Call of Duty or something similar), that costs a zillion dollars to make, that doesn't sell well, and we could see a major collapse.

In truth though, I think PC Gaming will hang around longer than consoles will, simply because it's easier to create and publish a project on PC as a platform.
---
~Bow chicka bow wow~
I survived ApocalyPS3 & ApocalyPS3 2: Among Thieves
#20LoshadtPosted 10/24/2013 9:47:29 AM
I'm not worried in the slightest for PC, it's consoles I'm worried for. It seems like my favorite genres on consoles are slowly being phased out of existence, meanwhile games like The Last of Us and Bioshock Infinite are being praised as the next coming of Christ in video game format.
---
Russian is my first language, so yes there may be a spelling error or two.
Kirino is best girl.