This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Are you worried about the future of PC gaming?

#21SteamsterPosted 10/24/2013 8:48:37 AM
I don't see any good reason to worry in any sense about PC gaming.
#22Worknofun370Posted 10/24/2013 8:48:37 AM
HydroCannabinol posted...

But why would the demand disappear? You act like every gamer will want to play on a console or a smartphone. They can already do that now. The only difference is in 30 years our desktops will be small boxes the size of a toaster and will probably be running Linux.

This is why i'm glad SteamOS is coming. It will help shift developers towards Linux and open source OS. We don't have to worry about future OS's because we will have open source OS forever and no one can take that away.

I just don't see how PC gaming will magically disappear because you think 'computers' will no longer be in homes and only graphics designers and business will use workstations. Just doesn't make sense to me.

jus my 2 cents tho

It's not like demand, or PC gaming is going to "Magically disappear" overnight. Nor am I saying that PC gamers are suddenly going to go 'I just want to play on consoles now.' So allow me to lay out why I think this is a possibility.

First would be the younger generations. If people growing up don't have computers in their house, and therefore grow up only play on consoles/steamos/tablets (And I am making the argument that a Steam Machine really isn't going to be a PC in the general sense... even moreso in the future) That can easily impact demand down the road.

Second, you'll lose the vast majority of "casual" PC gamers. Not at all by any means, and it does seem unlikely that the hardcore crowd would venture away either. I'm currently assuming that we probably have different opinions on the number of "casual" PC gamers and hardcore PC gamers (And yes, I'm putting casual in quotes for a reason)

I easily see many scenarios where nothing happens to PC gaming, where PCs never leave the home, and things go right along as they have been. I just see this as being the most likely scenario because of my day to day life. I simply see the PC as we know it being a thing of the past.

That doesn't mean the consoles will be the same than as they are now either. I don't think anybody sane would disagree that consoles have become more and more PC like over the past 15 years. What I think we'll have is a more hybrid console/PC than anything we've seen. It just makes the most sense all the way around.

As i've said though, time will tell, and I don't disagree at all that PC gaming may not change at all.
#23Huey_HueyPosted 10/24/2013 8:51:46 AM
The things that make PC great won't die out any time soon. Many dominoes need fall before anyone of them disappear. The biggest reason is there is no realistic way to monopolize PC gaming. Should one entity try to control any part of PC gaming, other options are immediately available, whether it be OS, marketplace, etc. To me PC gaming is synonymous with an open platform. It cannot be PC gaming without it.
---
All hail the SpoonyOne!
#24Knight2520Posted 10/24/2013 8:59:11 AM

But why would the demand disappear? You act like every gamer will want to play on a console or a smartphone. They can already do that now. The only difference is in 30 years our desktops will be small boxes the size of a toaster and will probably be running Linux.

Why are tablets gaining in market share while desktops are declining? It doesn't matter if every gamer wants to play on a console or a smartphone; if there aren't enough "traditional" PC gamers (meaning mouse and keyboard) left, we're not going to see the kind of titles we see now because it isn't worth the money developers would invest. On the whole, that's a bad thing, cynicism about the quality of many games aside. Younger generations are growing up with console and smartphone games, and less and less with PC games.
---
If AMD goes down Intel might safely release i9 for $300 and i7 for $200 and i5 for $100 and i3 for free. - su27Chaos<
#25dimitris0066Posted 10/24/2013 9:07:17 AM
Call me crazy but if Valve gets it right with steam box we'll finally have a quality product that is easy to handle (like really easy such as connecting the power an hdmi and done coz it's too hard for the average Joe to mess with a desktop) and offer better quality-future proofing than the next-gen consoles.
#26HydroCannabinolPosted 10/24/2013 9:08:38 AM
Knight2520 posted...

Why are tablets gaining in market share while desktops are declining? It doesn't matter if every gamer wants to play on a console or a smartphone; if there aren't enough "traditional" PC gamers (meaning mouse and keyboard) left, we're not going to see the kind of titles we see now because it isn't worth the money developers would invest. On the whole, that's a bad thing, cynicism about the quality of many games aside. Younger generations are growing up with console and smartphone games, and less and less with PC games.

PC = FINISHED
---
Steam ID: Mind_Explosion
I thought I chose very easy, not brand new to the game. - CheesyPhil
#27xanthan1Posted 10/24/2013 9:14:14 AM(edited)
KidIcaroots posted...
kjellboy posted...
Why should I be? :)

Because it's possible.

By that logic you should worry Russia will nuke you next week. Or that you'll be hit a meteor. Or that any of the unlikely crap that can happen should be worried about.

Get a real reason to worry, not being paranoid.
#28occonoPosted 10/24/2013 9:12:45 AM
Gaming laptops sell better than you guys probably think. There may be increasing focus on them as time goes on.
#29Worknofun370Posted 10/24/2013 9:15:48 AM
occono posted...
Gaming laptops sell better than you guys probably think. There may be increasing focus on them as time goes on.

Ehh... I think gaming laptops sell far less than you probably think.

I don't think my opinion on that one is going to change much without some proof.
#30LoshadtPosted 10/24/2013 9:16:41 AM
occono posted...

Which is still the same thing as the entire PC platform only with a higher chance of deep-frying your naughty bits or suddenly bursting into flame.
---
Russian is my first language, so yes there may be a spelling error or two.
Kirino is best girl.