This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Are you worried about the future of PC gaming?

#31_GRIM_FANDANGO_Posted 10/24/2013 9:21:12 AM(edited)
Not at all.

PC gaming is in a better place right now than it has been for as long as I been into PC gaming (90's).

Compared to the way things were:
-Hardware is cheaper and generally more accessible.
-More games appear on PC than ever before. Console conversions and multiplatform releases used to be rare.
-PC games now sell more than they did in the past. The best selling PC games are not the old classics like Baldur's gate and Deus Ex. They are WoW, Minecraft, Battlefield 3, sims2 (go figure) and other more recent games.
-Digital distribution of PC games have made PC gaming more accessible. No more manual patching, installation, and dodgy little PC corners in media stores where you have to buy your games.
-More people have capable multimedia PC's due to the higher demand for "multimedia".
-The emergence of new huge mainstream genres opened up a new market for PC gaming for a new sort of PC gamer. The Sims, indie games like Minecraft, MOBA's and MMO's fall into this category.

I do not believe PC gaming will suffer due to tablets. I think there are a lot of ways in which PC's are used where they are being replaced by smaller mobile devices. However, there are just as many things people do on PC where having a traditional setup with a mouse and keyboard is still the easiest way to interact with your device.
---
I5 3570 | GTX 760 | FILCO Majestouch 2 tenkeyless | Zowie FK | Asus Xonar DGX | Kingston 120 GB SSD | Sennheiser HD 518 | Samsung S24A350H
#32NicodimusPosted 10/24/2013 9:19:33 AM
HydroCannabinol posted...
Nicodimus posted...
The only thing that worries me is how little the masses care about quality. The main draw of PC gaming to me is having the best quality because I'm willing to pay more for it. If there comes a time when only a handful of people are willing to do that, they'll stop selling PCs as we know them, and everybody will be stuck with some cheap POS tablet that can't do anything well.

I hate when people say this it makes them seem so ignorant...

I hate when people are so naive.
---
Intel i5 4670K | Corsair 16GB DDR3 | Gigabyte GTX 770 4GB | ASUS 27" 1440p
Corsair 480GB SSD | WD 4TB HDD | Fractal Design R4 | Corsair 750MX | Win7Ult 64
#33Worknofun370Posted 10/24/2013 9:25:24 AM
_GRIM_FANDANGO_ posted...
However, there are just as many things people do on PC where having a traditional setup with a mouse and keyboard is still the easiest way to interact with your device.

Tablets with keyboard and mice already exist. And even around the office we have users who have replaced their desktops with a tablet. So if you believe a PC will survive because it has keyboard/mouse... well that's an advantage that is quickly disappearing.
#34aamir69Posted 10/24/2013 9:26:24 AM
Personally I wish there are wrestling/ UFC games on PC. If EA & 2kgames start releasing those games on PC i'll never use my console again
#35_GRIM_FANDANGO_Posted 10/24/2013 9:38:49 AM
Worknofun370 posted...
However, there are just as many things people do on PC where having a traditional setup with a mouse and keyboard is still the easiest way to interact with your device.

Tablets with keyboard and mice already exist. And even around the office we have users who have replaced their desktops with a tablet. So if you believe a PC will survive because it has keyboard/mouse... well that's an advantage that is quickly disappearing.

I do not believe PC's will "survive" in their current shape. These things change over time of course. When people use x86 capable tablets with a mouse and keyboard or any other peripheral that enable them to do their work most efficiently, then I would say they are just using a PC. Even in that new form factor it think it is a PC. And should they become commonplace, they will be available with different levels of performance.
---
I5 3570 | GTX 760 | FILCO Majestouch 2 tenkeyless | Zowie FK | Asus Xonar DGX | Kingston 120 GB SSD | Sennheiser HD 518 | Samsung S24A350H
#36Worknofun370Posted 10/24/2013 9:41:45 AM
Worknofun370 posted...

I do not believe PC's will "survive" in their current shape. These things change over time of course. When people use x86 capable tablets with a mouse and keyboard or any other peripheral that enable them to do their work most efficiently, then I would say they are just using a PC. Even in that new form factor it think it is a PC. And should they become commonplace, they will be available with different levels of performance.

I agree, I just personally believe that "gaming" is something that may be lost during that transition.
#37Bellum_SacrumPosted 10/24/2013 9:54:26 AM
KidIcaroots posted...
Bellum_Sacrum posted...
Newsflash: PC gaming was relevant back in the late 90s, early 2ks.

Now 90% of the games are ports and PC gamers have regressed to casuals so pathetically desperate, they're happy to embrace a DRM platform as their lord and saviour.

In this years GDC, a poll was made to ask developers what platforms they were developing for. Guess what? The majority is doing PC and something else (console, tablets, smartphones, facebook, etc.).

You being a console fanboy wouldn't even understand how huge is the gap between PC and consoles is. :)

A casual like you wouldn't even understand that the people at GDC are amateurs that make flash games, indie games and eventually end up as faceless programmers with little to no input in game design.

You can cry and whimper all you want. I was around when PC gaming made sense. Now you're here trying to glorify sloppy seconds. You're ten years too late, you missed that. Back to your CoD now.
---
"Now go ahead and leap ignorantly to the defense of wealthy game companies who don't know or care about you."
#38BogePosted 10/24/2013 11:55:03 AM
My only real worry right now is the Steam Machine.

I don't think it will be very successful, but if it is, it could change our keyboard and mouse controls and force us to go with a gamepad. That would be tragic. Mouse control is the single biggest reason I prefer to play games on a PC instead of a console. If that goes, it will be like getting kicked out of my throne into peasantry forever!!
---
Don't lie to someone who trusts you.
Don't trust someone who lies to you.
#39occonoPosted 10/24/2013 11:59:13 AM
Loshadt posted...
occono posted...
Gaming laptops sell better than you guys probably think. There may be increasing focus on them as time goes on.

Which is still the same thing as the entire PC platform only with a higher chance of deep-frying your naughty bits or suddenly bursting into flame.

Most people don't buy gaming laptops to actually use on their lap. >_>
#40arleasPosted 10/24/2013 1:10:34 PM
I don't think it will be very successful, but if it is, it could change our keyboard and mouse controls and force us to go with a gamepad.

Did nobody actually read the little FAQ that they provided when they announced the steam machine?

from the FAQ that apparently nobody ever read
Iím a happy Steam customer happily using my happy mouse and keyboard. I donít want a controller?
You canít make a sentence into a question by just putting a question-mark at the end. But weíre happy youíre happy, and by all means keep using whatever input method makes sense for you. Rest assured, we wonít abandon you. We love mice and keyboards, too.

Mouse and keyboard is not going anywhere. Steam's controller is not meant to replace it... emulate it so there's a controller option? Yes... Make the mouse/keyboard obsolete? No. Nobody is going to pin you down, take your mouse and keyboard away from you and leave you with nothing but a couple of dinky trackpads as a replacement.
---
http://raptr.com/badge/arleas/uc.png
http://www.speedtest.net/result/2868545294.png