This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Found a pair of de-lidded quad core Xeons for 25 bucks. Worth a score?

#1CC RicersPosted 10/24/2013 12:57:40 PM
They're the socket 1366 kind. 2.26ghz and Nehalem achitecture.
---
WikiLeaks scandal: WikiLeaks is not a true Wiki!
#2YoungAdultLinkPosted 10/24/2013 12:59:16 PM
If you want to build a server or something, sure. Put all your movies or somesuch on them, use 'em to host multiplayer games.
---
Once we perfect building Mechs, I expect there to be a factory in Mexico pumping out a brand call Mechsican. I wanna buy me a Mechsican.
steamid: Rohchya
#3ShubPosted 10/24/2013 1:00:49 PM
They're probably Xeon L5520s. Good CPUs for a low-cost server, especially if you put two of them together. Not sure what you can do with them outside of that, though. You can get Dell PowerEdge C1100 servers with two of those CPUs and a bunch of RAM on eBay for ~$400 these days.
---
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.
#4CC Ricers(Topic Creator)Posted 10/24/2013 1:01:49 PM
YoungAdultLink posted...
If you want to build a server or something, sure. Put all your movies or somesuch on them, use 'em to host multiplayer games.

I probably should buy them for a server but was thinking more for a workstation build.

No rush, though, they're selling in lots.
---
#5CC Ricers(Topic Creator)Posted 10/24/2013 1:04:22 PM
Shub posted...
They're probably Xeon L5520s. Good CPUs for a low-cost server, especially if you put two of them together. Not sure what you can do with them outside of that, though. You can get Dell PowerEdge C1100 servers with two of those CPUs and a bunch of RAM on eBay for ~$400 these days.

Actually it's the E5520. I think they're similar except low voltage and watt usage but the same clock speed.

Their previous home was a Mac Pro.
---