This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

cheapest dedicated physx card I can buy? pairing with my 780

#21C810Posted 10/24/2013 7:55:24 PM
Shub posted...
C810 posted...
Apparently I'm a noob since I didn't know that you could have two differently leveled cards in a PC. I thought that would cause nothing but headaches

You're half-right: if you want to use SLI, the cards must be the same, but if you just want one card to do most everything and use another card as a dedicated PhysX processor, they don't need to be the same, and they don't need to be connected together via an SLI bridge, either.

Oh, ok. How do you do that? Go into the card's settings and enable PhysX on one but not the other?
---
He has a robot body though, if he farted it would probably come out sounding like dubstep. - ISquat600lbs
http://bit.ly/1gJaKrZ
#22DarkZV2BetaPosted 10/24/2013 9:33:51 PM
C810 posted...
Shub posted...
C810 posted...
Apparently I'm a noob since I didn't know that you could have two differently leveled cards in a PC. I thought that would cause nothing but headaches

You're half-right: if you want to use SLI, the cards must be the same, but if you just want one card to do most everything and use another card as a dedicated PhysX processor, they don't need to be the same, and they don't need to be connected together via an SLI bridge, either.

Oh, ok. How do you do that? Go into the card's settings and enable PhysX on one but not the other?

In the control panel, you can select your preferred PhysX device. It's default to automatic, which will usually select a secondary geforce card if available I think, and otherwise default to the primary geforce card. You can set it to run PhysX on a particular card, or to run it exclusively on the CPU.
---
Want that Shield!
Ball and Cup on ps mobile has framerate issues. -stargazer64
#23Devil_wings00Posted 10/24/2013 9:49:00 PM
I dunno kind of thought dedicated physx cards were a thing of the past. Not to mention that only a literal handful of games actually use physx in any meaningful way (even in those cases it's just a little extra visual flair). Not worth investing a significant amount to have some dollar bills flying around the screen or sparks to be shooting at a steel mill.

I'd just turn down physx off or to low and save yourself the money ;p
---
3570k @ 1.260v - 4.6Ghz, GTX 580 @ 980/2106, ASUS Sabertooth z77, 8GB G.Skill Sniper 1600MHZ, Intel 335 SSD (boot).
#24C810Posted 10/25/2013 4:07:39 PM
DarkZV2Beta posted...
C810 posted...
Shub posted...
C810 posted...

In the control panel, you can select your preferred PhysX device. It's default to automatic, which will usually select a secondary geforce card if available I think, and otherwise default to the primary geforce card. You can set it to run PhysX on a particular card, or to run it exclusively on the CPU.

Nice. I'll have to catalog that somewhere in my brain for when I build a gaming PC
---
He has a robot body though, if he farted it would probably come out sounding like dubstep. - ISquat600lbs
http://bit.ly/1gJaKrZ