This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Media server on PC (plex etc)

#1N1GHTSPosted 10/25/2013 1:39:53 AM
So I have a samsung 5000 series TV with AllShare

I have a Synology NAS
I also have Plex installed on this PC

Some files work direct from the NAS, some dont. To be fair the Samsung TV plays quite a lot of files/reads a lot of codecs so i'm relatively happy.

For the rest of my files I was planning to use Plex on my PC.

Few issues with plex hopefully someone can help me with!

1. some codecs are "not supported" when i try to play. Is there somewhere i can get a bundle of codecs to install into plex so it will give me more successful playback that just the default codecs?

2. Plex keeps taking metadata from the internet, can i turn this off? (or if this is the whole point of plex, would i be better off with a different media server?

Thanks!
---
Sonic Adventure - Chao Information
http://chao.hippotank.com
#2betatechPosted 10/25/2013 2:00:48 AM
If plex is the reason for the codec issue (and not the TV) and it accepts codecs which works with WMP I would look at CCCP and/or klite.

I don't use plex myself, is it any good fro streaming to Android phones? Preferably compressed something like orb.

In regards to metadata, have you tried this:
http://forums.plexapp.com/index.php/topic/73174-how-to-disable-agents-completely/
---
Asus P8Z77-V Pro, Intel i7 3770K 3.5Ghz, 8GB RAM, Ati Radeon 5770 1GB, CM 690 II. Win7 x64.
#3datopgamerPosted 10/25/2013 5:05:53 AM
I personally use ps3 media server and have no problems playing on my s4.
---
Posted using GameFlux
#4Cush1978Posted 10/25/2013 6:52:45 AM
betatech posted...

I don't use plex myself, is it any good fro streaming to Android phones? Preferably compressed something like orb.

Plex is excellent for streaming to Android phones. Note, the mobile app is the only one that costs money ($5). It works great.

I haven't messed with streaming to smart TVs, but it's possible you need to create a profile on the Plex server. I think all the codec support is built into Plex; I don't recall having to install codecs. I'd pursue it on their forums.
---
Cush - Wii Friend Code: 8824 6045 3862 1803