This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

PCH smartphone users: Do you care about root access or jailbreaking your phone?

#1runromPosted 10/25/2013 9:05:15 AM
For iOS and Android users: is having root access or jailbreaking important to you? - Results (204 votes)
Yes (because I have more control over my phone)
46.57% (95 votes)
No (because I have no need or not interested in having that type of control over my phone)
53.43% (109 votes)
This poll is now closed.
Just wondering. I tend to root my Android phones when I can.
---
MBP 2009 | Intel i5 3570k + Powercolor 7870 Myst | HP Touchpad 32gb CM9 | MyTouch4g running 4.1
Now part of the 500 posts club.
#2ShubPosted 10/25/2013 9:17:46 AM
I used to and then I stopped caring as it was too much of a pain in the ass. I like to get OS updates when they come out, so having to worry about whether they can be jailbroken immediately or wait for a hypothetical jailbreak got to be annoying. In the end I realized that I was jailbreaking for illegitimate reasons anyway, so I stopped and bought the apps I love. There aren't that many anyway.
---
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.
#3emidasPosted 10/25/2013 9:25:11 AM
Only reason my Nexus is rooted is to pair my Dual Shock 3 with it wirelessly.

My iphone used to be jailbroken pre-ios7. I'll likely jb it when the new one comes out, but I really only use it for customization at this point, along with other apps that unlock basic phone features that they try to make us pay for.
---
i5-2500k @ 4.6Ghz | Gigabyte GTX 670 2GB | Crucial M4 256GB | 16GB DDR3 Corsair Vengance LP
http://i.imgur.com/3yaehOJ.gif http://i.imgur.com/pj1VJu4.jpg
#4jakeDiLLaPosted 10/25/2013 9:27:39 AM
My Samsung galaxy s3 is rooted and my previous phone HTC one x was as well. It gives you a ton of customization and extra settings with custom ROMs that you wouldn't normally have.
---
i5 3570k / Gigabyte 7970 WF3 3GB / 8GB DDR3 / 120GB SSD
#5PhilOnDezPosted 10/25/2013 9:36:12 AM
I jailbroke my phone once and proceeded to do literally nothing with it that I couldn't have done otherwise. I did like the quick menu that it added, I wish they would implement something half that smooth officially in iOS (swipe sideways across the top bar where your reception/carrier, time, and battery bar, drops down a new spring board, just tap to handle all the basic things like wifi, airplane mode, 3G, E, a brightness slider etc instantly with no load time like opening the settings menu has, not to mention finding the option you want to change) but that alone isn't worth a jailbreak to me.

I'm mildly interested in rooting my tablet, but even then that would be solely to pair a PS3 controller with it and rooting for just a single function doesn't seem like it's worth the effort, especially when I consider that I would never play anything on my tablet anyway since I only use it at home and if I'm at home I can play on my PC.
---
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez
#6gastamanPosted 10/25/2013 9:36:13 AM
I used to jailbreak my iPhones for customization purposes, but, like Shub, got tired of waiting for new jailbreaks to emerge, so I stopped. On Android, the only reason I rooted was to get rid of the bloatware, as customization was already satisfactory for me without rooting.
---
//Intel// Core i7 2600k @ 4.2 //Gigabyte// Z68X-UD7-B3 //MSI// 3x GTX 580 Lightning SLi
//Corsair// 650D / H100 / 120 GB Force 3 / 12 GB Dominator / AX1200
#7GynthaeresPosted 10/25/2013 9:48:23 AM
Got an iPhone 5 last year because I'd never owned an Apple product before.

I did jailbreak it, but I didn't actually use most of the jailbreak features available. Mostly because all of the good ones I actually was interested, cost real money. Free ones tended to do things I didn't care about (or example, I don't really need to have a dozen different swiping shortcuts to open up different apps).

So after updating to iOS7, I haven't bothered. The one feature I used a lot with my jailbroken phone was added in iOS7 (the quickmenu).
---
The sole purpose of this space is to make my post look longer.
#8DoramiPosted 10/25/2013 9:49:16 AM
I am using CM 10.2 on my phone. It's very nice to have a customizable device--officially the phone is on ICS, and the CM10.2 gave me a much appreciated group SMS--, but it's not make or break.
---
"...Ashley takes on Lord Blazer alone in a white cape with flowing rockstar hair while playing his impossibly cool sword as a guitar..." - LBoksha
#9sonicteam2k1Posted 10/25/2013 9:51:30 AM
the way the devide up storage on the galaxy phones, I need to have it rooted so I can use a program that lets me mount my physical SD card and play games off of it. For some reason you cannot move your installed games to your physical SD card. You can only move them to UBS storage. Which sucks.

I can only use the GL to SD program while rooted. If there is a program that can do this (mount your SD card) or allow installs to my physical SD card, then I wouldn't have to root.
---
See The Game Collection
http://www.gamespot.com/users/nights_team2k7/games_table?mode=own
#10fuzzymanPosted 10/25/2013 10:04:23 AM
for power users the functionality can be a dealbreaker, if a phone has or has not been successfully unlocked

I would never buy an iPhone just out of the concept, but that's not to say Carriers and Manufacturers don't put their own limits on Android phones
---
http://i.imgur.com/hOjV6w3.jpg