This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

PCH smartphone users: Do you care about root access or jailbreaking your phone?

#11prindoPosted 10/25/2013 10:49:54 AM
PhilOnDez posted...
I did like the quick menu that it added, I wish they would implement something half that smooth officially in iOS (swipe sideways across the top bar where your reception/carrier, time, and battery bar, drops down a new spring board, just tap to handle all the basic things like wifi, airplane mode, 3G, E, a brightness slider etc instantly with no load time like opening the settings menu has, not to mention finding the option you want to change) but that alone isn't worth a jailbreak to me.

iOS7 has that with their new Control Center. Airplane mode, wifi on/off, Bluetooth on/off, do not disturb, portrait orientation lock, brightness slider, music control, flashlght, timer, calculator, and camera.

Anyways, I jailbroke my phone once. Literally all I did with it was change my carrier to a text Kirby.
---
# of STP's-6
#12Knighted DragonPosted 10/25/2013 10:53:44 AM
No, I have pretty much no reason to do anything more than my Galaxy S4 lets me, I have a desktop for anything that would require so much effort that I would have to root my phone
---
Matthew 7:21
http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/2492/gyenyame.jpg
#13r7gerrabbitPosted 10/25/2013 10:55:22 AM
When I was new to smart phones custom Roms and rooting was my life.

Now I couldn't care less. My phone is a phone. I use it for texts, phone calls, and emails. Probably won't even get a smart phone next.

Everything a smart phone can do a laptop/desktop can do a million times more efficiently. And it doesn't even cross my mind to use my phone in public when I'm trying to do stuff.
---
http://i.imgur.com/Mqy7G.gif
#14wizardmonPosted 10/25/2013 11:14:43 AM
I have a Galaxy S3 which I have never bothered to root.

Why root it when it already:
Checks my email in a way that I deem perfectly fit for the device via Gmail.
Takes calls in a way that I deem perfectly fit for the device.
Browses the web via Chrome just how I want it to.
Has adblock plus installed.

I don't actually understand why so many people seem to need to root devices when it really doesn't do much for the device as a phone.
---
I think I'm the only person on gamefaqs with a daughterboard - ToastyOne
New with a moderation history more plentiful than karma. - Fossil (Moderator)
#15How1ePosted 10/25/2013 11:41:45 AM(edited)
Although I am not into as much as I was, I still like the freedom it allows. Rooting allows you to use custom ROMS which enhance the usability of a phone. Getting a bad connection? Flash a new radio. Don't like the phones interface? Use a ROM with colors you actually like that lets you customize the layout. Tired of not being able to move things to the external SD card? Getting bad battery life and want to fix it via scripts or build prop changes? Want to block advertisements? Want an all black interface to save battery life? Facebook, SMS, GPS/Maps, Gmail, Contacts, Dialer, etc. can all be blacked out. These are just a few examples.

Rooting gives you control over your phone. Change the Governer, the I/O scheduler, run custom scripts. Are you getting really bad battery life due to some of your carrier's bloatware or for whatever else reason? If your carrier is no longer releasing updates for your phone and you want to keep it up to date, rooting is awesome. CM10.2 is awesome for my Galaxy Blaze that would otherwise be on ICS. I think the importance of rooting is based on how deep you care to look into it because there are awesome things to be discovered.

You could get by with stock bloatware ROMs but to me, this is the difference between buying a preloaded HP and building your own PC and putting exactly what you want on it. It requires more time and some learning but anything worth while in life takes more time than things that instantly gratify us. I see comparisons to laptops often made and I don't really get the basis for this. They both have their own roles. One goes in your pocket, the other has to go under your arm or in a bag. I can't speak for jailbreaking stuff because I don't really plan to get an IPhone.
---
In the future, there will be robots.
#16DragnfyrPosted 10/25/2013 11:38:20 AM
No I like to get OS updates the day they're released. Also I don't like using unofficial deep level customizations as I find they all have minor imperfections which bother me.
---
MacBook Pro with Retina Display | 15.4" 2880x1800 | Core i7-3615QM @ 2.3GHz | 8GB DDR3 1600MHz | GT 650M 1GB GDDR5 | 256GB SSD | OSX 10.9 | Windows 8.1 Pro
#17How1ePosted 10/25/2013 11:56:35 AM(edited)
Dragnfyr posted...
No I like to get OS updates the day they're released. Also I don't like using unofficial deep level customizations as I find they all have minor imperfections which bother me.

Well, some ROMs have updaters that will do just that. Also, if you don't want imperfections, don't run nightlies. Use official releases. Reading change logs about bug fixes and existing bugs and the ninety pages of feedback are surefire ways to avoid this. Imperfections are unavoidable though but at least you can report your findings to developers and get feedback with custom ROMs. It is harder to get a hold of Samsung representatives or LG to correct their bugs but the truth is, stock ROMs are flawed too. The latest IOS update is proof enough. This is the reason people make their own in the first place.
---
#18akuma634Posted 10/25/2013 11:54:02 AM
I don't see the point, especially voiding my warranty. There isn't anything special I can think of that would be worth the effort.
---
http://www.last.fm/user/akuma634
#19How1ePosted 10/25/2013 12:02:50 PM
akuma634 posted...
I don't see the point, especially voiding my warranty. There isn't anything special I can think of that would be worth the effort.

You can reset your phone's flash counter in order to avoid the provider of your warranty detecting that you put unofficial software on the phone. I've had warranty work done on my phone so I'd just like to point that out.

Your point about no interest is fair though. If it's not for you, it's not for you. With some effort though, even something like voiding the warranty becomes a non issue.
---
#20WyzeGyePosted 10/25/2013 12:05:09 PM
When I got tired of waiting on Jailbreak updates for IOS, i switched to android, and funnily enough the atmosphere is switched completely, you root your device and are granted access to newer firmwares than are available to your stock phone. whereas with IOS if you jailbreak you're stuck on that version.
---
http://pcpartpicker.com/b/GCJ
http://youtu.be/0eSfcUzGTdk