This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

PCH smartphone users: Do you care about root access or jailbreaking your phone?

#31claytonbuckleyPosted 10/25/2013 8:07:08 PM
I have a smartphone, but i only use it as a phone.

Maybe i'm showing my age, but i just want a phone. i don't need or care about all the other s*** they do (except play music)

I wish they would just make a phone with a battery that last longer than a day with an MP3 player. nothing else.
---
Pointing out your stupidity is not trolling
#32schadowPosted 10/26/2013 4:33:07 AM(edited)
As smartphone operating systems have matured extremely fast, jailbreaking has become less and less important over the years. Some generations ago I would jailbreak my iOS devices to do everything. Then only for one or two tweaks. Today it's not even worth the hassle.
---
MageofBlood391 posted...
GameFAQs: Because if all else fails, you can always argue semantics.
#33Knighted DragonPosted 10/26/2013 6:38:39 AM
My mobile devices are an extension of my computer.

I firmly believe that we as a race have stopped evolving and we are now evolving vicariously through the technology we have at our disposal. Either hop on board or be naturally selected into obsolescence.

And what do you do with this extension of your computer that gives you such an edge of people who just use smartphones as a normal phone, which is to say, a weaker independent computer that still has plenty of power to interact with your desktop?
---
Matthew 7:21
http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/2492/gyenyame.jpg
#34SilentHawk29Posted 10/26/2013 6:47:55 AM
Your post makes no sense. You're saying using it as a regular phone is like using it as an independent computer?
---
PSN - Srikar || Steam - SilentHawk29
My car: http://img708.imageshack.us/img708/8583/86coupe.jpg
#35iBlackice25Posted 10/26/2013 6:52:32 AM
I used to care, but not anymore.
---
GT: DarknessSniperX
dustloop: Legion13
#36Knighted DragonPosted 10/26/2013 7:30:24 AM
Your post makes no sense. You're saying using it as a regular phone is like using it as an independent computer?

Because that's what smartphones are. You don't have to root them to have more than enough control over them to use them like a miniature computer, what are you guys doing with your phones while rooted that give them so much more power that they are an extension of your desktop? Running teamviewer and just using your desktop from them? Because I don't think you have to root to do that
---
Matthew 7:21
http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/2492/gyenyame.jpg
#37betatechPosted 10/26/2013 7:46:14 AM
Needs a third option.

I would root an iOS device because I don't like the limitations or Apple's policies but I haven't rooted my Android devices as the stock experience is good enough (besides the inferior backup method).

In regards to Android, the only reason I may root is to use a custom ROM once my devices are no longer supported.
---
Asus P8Z77-V Pro, Intel i7 3770K 3.5Ghz, 8GB RAM, Ati Radeon 5770 1GB, CM 690 II. Win7 x64.
#38SilentHawk29Posted 10/26/2013 7:38:28 PM
Knighted Dragon posted...

Because that's what smartphones are. You don't have to root them to have more than enough control over them to use them like a miniature computer, what are you guys doing with your phones while rooted that give them so much more power that they are an extension of your desktop? Running teamviewer and just using your desktop from them? Because I don't think you have to root to do that

You and I have very different definitions of "regular phone."

Anyway, reasons to root:
-root access allows you to access all directories on a phone. A lot of folders are blocked without root access.
-Ability to load other OSes or remove bloatware off of the one that came on the phone. This also gives the option to have the freedom to customize how the phone runs, looks, and so on.
-You can actually back up and keep up with your stuff with something like Titanium Backup
-Add a landscape mode to the homepage if you want
-Add features that were removed in a update (HTC's scrolling background comes to mind, the app in the store that does this is nowhere near as efficient)
-A lot of apps can work without root, but a ton more options open up with a root, like Tasker
-Overclocking/underclocking

Really now. Most of these options a PC user would love to have on any device. Are you not master race enough?
---
PSN - Srikar || Steam - SilentHawk29
My car: http://img708.imageshack.us/img708/8583/86coupe.jpg
#39Psykic PetrolPosted 10/26/2013 7:58:57 PM
I have a few apps that need root to work, as well as running a custom ROM + kernel. However, even without all that, rooting it allowed me to SIM unlock my phone really easily and for free. That more than justified doing it for me.
---
How do you ejaculate from plane? I try to press the buttons but I do not find it. Sorry for my bad english - Bean0
#40WyzeGyePosted 10/26/2013 8:14:29 PM
SilentHawk29 posted...
Knighted Dragon posted...

You and I have very different definitions of "regular phone."

Anyway, reasons to root:
-root access allows you to access all directories on a phone. A lot of folders are blocked without root access.
-Ability to load other OSes or remove bloatware off of the one that came on the phone. This also gives the option to have the freedom to customize how the phone runs, looks, and so on.
-You can actually back up and keep up with your stuff with something like Titanium Backup
-Add a landscape mode to the homepage if you want
-Add features that were removed in a update (HTC's scrolling background comes to mind, the app in the store that does this is nowhere near as efficient)
-A lot of apps can work without root, but a ton more options open up with a root, like Tasker
-Overclocking/underclocking

Really now. Most of these options a PC user would love to have on any device. Are you not master race enough?

This

I like having my way with devices I own, if I can't hack it, I don't buy it
---
http://pcpartpicker.com/b/GCJ
http://youtu.be/0eSfcUzGTdk