This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

PCH smartphone users: Do you care about root access or jailbreaking your phone?

#41YukitoRamboPosted 10/26/2013 9:34:11 PM
When I spent more money than I should for a smartphone instead of feature phone, I decided that I'm doing it because:

1. I need a better browser
2. GPS
3. Mail checking
4. I need to be able to open office docs on the move.

As neither one of these require root, I haven't rooted my Xperia V. HOWEVER, I explicitly chose the Android platform because it lets me do it when I want to do it. Just knowing that I have that freedom is good enough for me.
---
"Blessed is he who expects nothing, for he shall never be disappointed" - Alexander Pope
#42Blackfire210Posted 10/27/2013 1:57:29 PM
Been using Android since 2009 (with a brief 8 month stint with iOS) and every device along the way has been rooted. I owned a Galaxy Nexus (on Sprint) and it still didn't give me the support I craved. Flashing ROMs and debugging new software is so worth it when everything is done and my device gets 1.5x the battery life while being smoother at the same time.
---
Asus P8Z68-V Pro | Core i5 2500K | 12GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | 2x XFX DD 7970 Ghz Edition
PS3 | Vita | 3DS | Wii U
#43Psykic PetrolPosted 10/27/2013 2:36:02 PM
I like to add that for all the support they do give, Google AOSP first-party stuff has often been somewhat lackluster and if it were not for people like CyanogenMod lot and loads of others on places like xda, a lot of features would probably never have made it into AOSP in the first place (or at least still haven't).
---
How do you ejaculate from plane? I try to press the buttons but I do not find it. Sorry for my bad english - Bean0
#44jakisthePosted 10/27/2013 2:42:15 PM
No. I don't require that much out of my phone, and the stuff I would like is pretty much not available, jb'd or otherwise.
---
-Why is there yogurt in this cap?!
-It used to be milk, but, well, time makes fools of us all. (cookie for reference)::160 cookies given thus far::
#45_GRIM_FANDANGO_Posted 10/27/2013 2:42:37 PM
I used to do it, and do care about it.

However, since I got my Galaxy S3 I have not done it, and do not feel the need.
---
I5 3570 | GTX 760 | FILCO Majestouch 2 tenkeyless | Zowie FK | Asus Xonar DGX | Kingston 120 GB SSD | Sennheiser HD 518 | Samsung S24A350H