This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Can I dual monitor with only 1 VGA port?

#11ShubPosted 10/28/2013 12:01:08 PM
Most of our monitors at my work don't have a DisplayPort input, but most have DVI, we just use a DisplaytPort to DVI adapter to fix that.
Example: http://amzn.com/B002CSUZSU
---
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.
#12XxTwisted26xX(Topic Creator)Posted 10/28/2013 12:40:16 PM
Ah awesome! I hope the tech didnt buy the things yet.

Is that even possible to split 1 VGA output into 2 for dual monitoring? Or will that just duplicate the same screen?
---
Steam: xxtwisted26xx
"When you play the games of thrones, you win or you die. Theres no middle ground" - Cersei Lannister to Eddard Stark
#13DarkZV2BetaPosted 10/28/2013 2:26:30 PM
XxTwisted26xX posted...

Is that even possible to split 1 VGA output into 2 for dual monitoring? Or will that just duplicate the same screen?

It is, but you need special software for it. I bought a Galaxy GT520 for hooking extra displays into, and it was advertising that feature.
---
Want that Shield!
Ball and Cup on ps mobile has framerate issues. -stargazer64
#14LordSeiferPosted 10/28/2013 2:32:20 PM
DarkZV2Beta posted...
XxTwisted26xX posted...

It is, but you need special software for it. I bought a Galaxy GT520 for hooking extra displays into, and it was advertising that feature.

no, what he asked you cannot do.

using one vga port and splitting it will duplicate the screen on both.
---
^ this
#15KillerTrufflePosted 10/28/2013 2:38:32 PM
I have had a computer before that used a Y cable to split a single display output into two - although that was likely DVI if I recall correctly. That did not duplicate - it treated it as two separate monitors and allowed extended desktop. Since VGA is analog tho, I don't believe it would work the same way. A splitter cable would simply duplicate the signal on both screens - you could not have separate views on each screen.

I'd still say if you have DisplayPort, just get a cable to convert that to DVI. Easiest answer.
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23