This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Can I be honest?

#1GoIdenAcePosted 10/25/2013 3:07:31 PM
Back during the fifth/fourth generation, when I first got into gaming, I always wondered why a game couldn't be made longer.

A lot of them were fun, and hard, considering how young I was, but whenever I beat a game, I always sat back and though "they could have done this and this, why not make the game longer?"

Now a days I know that's an issue with memory, but that brings up a new question

If memory is not an issue like it was before, how come a lot of games main campaigns are 5-6 hours, and fairly easy, when past games were 5-6 hours, mostly from difficulty

I'm not asking this as a troll, but of genuine honestly

Why is no one extending the games if there seems to be no limitations hardware, software, or memory wise?

the TL:DR - games were short back then because of memory, extended only by difficulty. I know we don't have much of a difficulty extension now, but why not make the games longer?
---
Anna's Official Husband | Going WiiU/PC this gen | making fanfic because reasons
Official holder of the Maximus Notebook | What I draw becomes real :3
#2Killah PriestPosted 10/25/2013 3:08:29 PM
why make a 20 hour game when you can make 4 5 hour games?
---
Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Weep, and you weep alone.
The armory of god is guarding me but all you can see is holographic artistry.
#3QuestofChosenPosted 10/25/2013 3:09:28 PM
Because longer games aren't always better.
#4GoIdenAce(Topic Creator)Posted 10/25/2013 3:11:11 PM
Killah Priest posted...
why make a 20 hour game when you can make 4 5 hour games?

I'm all for that, but where is my 4 5 hour games?

No, seriously
---
Anna's Official Husband | Going WiiU/PC this gen | making fanfic because reasons
#5Orestes417Posted 10/25/2013 3:11:33 PM
Indeed. Better to make a length appropriate for the material covered. Take Spec Ops the Line, it could've been longer but it's incredibly doubtful it'd do more than detract from the experience if it was.
---
If they asked how I died tell them: Still angry.
#6GoIdenAce(Topic Creator)Posted 10/25/2013 3:12:05 PM
QuestofChosen posted...
Because longer games aren't always better.

As apposed to popular belief

it IS possible to extend a game, and ADD to the quality
instead of extending a game by stretching the quality
---
#7GoIdenAce(Topic Creator)Posted 10/25/2013 3:14:17 PM
Orestes417 posted...
Indeed. Better to make a length appropriate for the material covered. Take Spec Ops the Line, it could've been longer but it's incredibly doubtful it'd do more than detract from the experience if it was.

One thing I've been seeing a lot of, and even hearing of

Several games will show you 1 gameplay feature that could have been expanded on tenfold, then poof! once you use it, all gone and onto the next one

Honestly, a few games are more feeling like a jumbled collection of random gameplay elements put together to be shown off, not actually played and enjoyed.

Are we making games? or is this show and tell?
---
#8DarkZV2BetaPosted 10/25/2013 3:19:29 PM
Because people won't buy new games if they're still playing old games. So says the Publisher, and the great Publisher is always right.
ect ect
---
Want that Shield!
Ball and Cup on ps mobile has framerate issues. -stargazer64
#9GoIdenAce(Topic Creator)Posted 10/25/2013 3:22:15 PM
DarkZV2Beta posted...
Because people won't buy new games if they're still playing old games. So says the Publisher, and the great Publisher is always right.
ect ect

I always laugh when I hear this

Seriously, how many topics does this board get of people who still have some 10-25 games they have yet to beat?

Publishers, this is to you:

If you make a game, and I like the game, I'll buy more games
If you make a game, and I hate it, I'm not going to buy the sequel or others like it from you
---
#10Orestes417Posted 10/25/2013 3:25:28 PM
Except what you said has nothing at all to do with the game mentioned. The story went where it needed to go, was a solid experience throughout and got off the stage before it dragged on and got old. Compare that with something like Wind Waker which would've been an infinitely stronger game without the obnoxious sailing around fetching crap that made up the last third of the game.
---
If they asked how I died tell them: Still angry.