This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Warning others of new ransomware Virus "Cryptolocker" going around.

#11arrseetee(Topic Creator)Posted 10/26/2013 5:16:25 PM
nightmare75 posted...
GTRagnarok posted...
I keep everything important backed up so if I somehow got this virus, I would tell it to screw off.
Is it a cold backup? Because this thing has been known to encrypt files on every drive attached to the computer, network drives, USB drives, you name it. The only way your data is safe is if the computer can't access it.
I back up most important on a ex hdd, while most of backup is on a secondary drive, but unfortunatly was also affected as well. Guess won't do that next time lol.

-CJF- posted...
Sad to see that some people are actually paying the criminals for this. I would rather have my files deleted than fold to the demands of cyber criminals, which would only encourage this sort of activity.
Never thought I would ever consider doing something like this, but eventually I may end up having to. So much important stuff that it's very hard to let them go. It's ironic as paying actually works to retain but unfortunate as it's only feeding and encouraging them. Never thought I would have to pay as I do backup, but makes you think what would you do in this situation. And now I'm in it.
---
Posting from phone. So Police, don't whine about minor mistakes.
#12Cool_Dude667Posted 10/26/2013 7:40:24 PM
Time to run another full scan :P
---
Not changing this sig until Christ returns -- Started 30 A.D
3770K @ 4.2Ghz | 16GB Corsair Vengeance | GTX 670 SLi
#13KabtheMentatPosted 10/26/2013 8:37:37 PM
Knighted Dragon posted...
Instead of the government trying to restrict internet rights I wish they would focus on finding people who make viruses like this and break their knee caps

Would be cool to hear about some kinda Navy SEAL/Delta Force raid on these kinda people.

I don't imagine many would be captured alive.
---
Big Money. Big Women. Big Fun.
Skillz Ferguson
#14josh_bPosted 10/26/2013 8:42:58 PM
Why my pc is backed up after every major install or update. If I were to get something like this in 30 minutes I could be back up and running like nothing never happened.
---
i5 2500k 4.5GHZ OC, 32GB DDR3, Galaxy GTX670 4GB SLI, MSI P67A-GD55 Mobo, 128GB SSD, Barracuda Green 1.5TB HDD
Xbox live: tanis8585
#15DiehardFFv2Posted 10/26/2013 8:43:18 PM
stmstr posted...
Knighted Dragon posted...
Instead of the government trying to restrict internet rights I wish they would focus on finding people who make viruses like this and break their knee caps

They're too busy playing make believe and dress up

http://www.fbi.gov/news/stories/2008/october/darkmarket_102008

Literally joining the ranks of online criminals, so bad

That link doesn't really prove your point in the way you think it does.
---
Intel i5 3570k | Sapphire r9 280x | 8GB DDR3 | 256GB SSD | 3TB HDD
#16MaxCHEATER64Posted 10/26/2013 8:47:07 PM
Steam will let you redownload all your games forever. I believe Origin does this as well.
All of my important images are also stored on Imgur, and everything else on my computer is mostly programs that I could reinstall with a simple google search.

So if I got this, I'd just wipe my hard drive and reinstall everything. You should NEVER be so vulnerable, even if you've never got a virus before, that a single piece of malware would destroy you.

---
i5-3570K | HD 7850 | Z77-D3H | 700W | Intel 550 180GB | Seagate Barracuda 1T
http://i.imgur.com/xUwa3va.png
#17Kokuei05Posted 10/26/2013 9:15:58 PM(edited)
I don't need these warnings. I never get these viruses; I don't even understand how people even get them.

Vectors: In order of likelihood, the vectors of infection have been:

Email attachments: A commonly reported subject is Payroll Report. The attachment, most of the time, is a zip with a PDF inside, which is actually an executable.
PCs that are unwitting members of the Zeus botnet have had the virus pushed to them directly.
There is currently one report of an infection through Java, using the .jnlp file as a dropper to load the executable.

10/24/13 EDIT: I'm working with the latest sample of the virus and you'd have to be really lacking in basic survival skills to run it. A zip, with an exe inside, that on XP through 8 all give you a "do you want to run this untrusted application" message.

From a post in Reddit. You've got to be really stupid to get infected.
---
Girls are scary.
#18TheAspPosted 10/26/2013 8:57:07 PM
Its been beaten.... there is also a way to make your computer not able to get it..... anyone who would like more information on this nasty infection.... shoot me a pm and i will help you out....
---
q9300 @2.5ghz / 4 gigs DDR2 800 / 3.5tb HDDs / 1 gig HD 6850@stock speeds / windows 7 ultimate 64 / crappy msi mATX mobo/ CM Elite 430 case/ X-Fi Etreme Audio
#19electroflamePosted 10/26/2013 10:04:38 PM
Its been beaten.... there is also a way to make your computer not able to get it..... anyone who would like more information on this nasty infection.... shoot me a pm and i will help you out....

Does your solution end in downloading an executable?
---
Could be worse, they could have been American givers and you would have been smothered in small pox. -fakenamefignuts on Indian-Giving.
Steam ID: electroflame
#20bkkorpsPosted 10/26/2013 10:23:12 PM
electroflame posted...

Does your solution end in downloading an executable?

no, its just a pdf file in a zip file that he will email you.
---
Religion is like circumcision. If you wait until someone is 21 to tell them about it, they probably won't be interested.