This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Warning others of new ransomware Virus "Cryptolocker" going around.

#31JKatarnPosted 10/27/2013 3:35:35 PM
Po-Rayu posted...
No problem. I got a Mac.

You should know that Macs are increasingly becoming a more popular target for Viruses/Malware, and they certainly aren't immune to them - not many malware/virus authors have bothered because Windows machines dominate the market. That is changing however, so you still have to use common sense.
---
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 Windforce OC
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES
#32Benjamin_ButtonPosted 10/27/2013 3:51:33 PM
Po-Rayu posted...
No problem. I got a Mac.

*high five*
---
http://i.imgur.com/KNzJR.gif
Macbook Pro Retina i7-3840QM @ 2.8GHz | Nvidia 650m 1GB GDDR5 | 16GB DDR3L Ram | 750GB Flash Storage
#33zxelmanPosted 10/27/2013 5:29:34 PM
JKatarn posted...
Po-Rayu posted...
No problem. I got a Mac.

You should know that Macs are increasingly becoming a more popular target for Viruses/Malware, and they certainly aren't immune to them - not many malware/virus authors have bothered because Windows machines dominate the market. That is changing however, so you still have to use common sense.

Pretty much this. Don't think you're invincible. Better start practicing common sense now.
#34Orestes417Posted 10/27/2013 5:35:55 PM
TimePharaoh posted...
Knighted Dragon posted...
Instead of the government trying to restrict internet rights I wish they would focus on finding people who make viruses like this and break their knee caps

Stupid people deserve to have bad things happen to them.

Yeah and the people stuck fixing their **** don't deserve the headache. Personally I'd be vastly happier if the people being ransomed put the money towards a Tony Po style lesson for the perpetrators than I would paying to get their data back.

A few literal heads on pikes would do wonders to put their contemporaries in a more appropriate frame of mind.
---
If they asked how I died tell them: Still angry.
#35exclusiveburnerPosted 10/27/2013 5:39:39 PM
This does sound quite nasty. I'm not worried I'd get this virus because I rarely download stuff, and never open random exe's, but I should back up all my stuff. I did get a BSOD a few days ago out of no where...
#36josh_bPosted 10/27/2013 10:33:33 PM
exclusiveburner posted...
This does sound quite nasty. I'm not worried I'd get this virus because I rarely download stuff, and never open random exe's, but I should back up all my stuff. I did get a BSOD a few days ago out of no where...

You can purchase Malwarebytes PRO. Single best antivirus program on the planet.
---
i5 2500k 4.5GHZ OC, 32GB DDR3, Galaxy GTX670 4GB SLI, MSI P67A-GD55 Mobo, 128GB SSD, Barracuda Green 1.5TB HDD
Xbox live: tanis8585
#37TimePharaohPosted 10/27/2013 10:34:17 PM
Orestes417 posted...
TimePharaoh posted...
Knighted Dragon posted...
Instead of the government trying to restrict internet rights I wish they would focus on finding people who make viruses like this and break their knee caps

Stupid people deserve to have bad things happen to them.

Yeah and the people stuck fixing their **** don't deserve the headache.

Sure they do. Unless the person fixing it is a tool, they're getting paid to do it. The dumber the user is, the longer it takes, the more they pay.

Headaches=dem dollaz
---
HE are genius, firstly. - ASlaveObeys
GestapoFAQs http://i.imgur.com/prqCDHz.png http://i.imgur.com/ooNGE4u.png
#38JKatarnPosted 10/28/2013 3:50:31 PM

I wouldn't worry, the only people that get this are those dim enough to download and run EXEs disguised as PDFs within a ZIP file attached to an e-mail.
---
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 Windforce OC
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES
#39voldothegr8Posted 10/28/2013 4:34:34 PM(edited)
I heard about this a few weeks ago. Apparently some guy was able to decrypt a clients stuff but it took a good 10 hours, and he was a security guru of sorts. Pretty nasty stuff.
---
Oakland Raiders 2013: 3-4 | THE Ohio State: 20-0
Oda break tracker 2013- 8 (3)
#40HanfengLinPosted 10/28/2013 4:38:16 PM
JKatarn posted...

I wouldn't worry, the only people that get this are those dim enough to download and run EXEs disguised as PDFs within a ZIP file attached to an e-mail.

Uh, actually. If this is the ransomware I'm thinking of, this was a drive-by virus.

That being, you could ignore all the PDF.EXE you want and you'll STILL get it if you run across the virus.