This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Warning others of new ransomware Virus "Cryptolocker" going around.

• Topic Archived
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Warning others of new ransomware Virus "Cryptolocker" going around.
2 years ago#41
I'm glad I don't ever download attachments. Hell, I rarely check my e-mails as it is. I can understand if it is a 'drive by' virus and your work involves the need to receive attachments. I wonder if it's transferred from someone that gets infected and it sends it out to people in their e-mail address book (like some spam viruses do). Would make a lot of sense to have it do that - people trust those who they know after all.

It's always best to keep a backup on an external drive of your important files so you can just nuke the hard drive if you get a virus on it or just get a new one and throw the infected one to the depths of the ocean if formatting it doesn't work.
---
Thank you for saving gaming and for giving us Steam, Gabe Newell
2 years ago#42
HanfengLin posted...
JKatarn posted...
exclusiveburner posted...
This does sound quite nasty. I'm not worried I'd get this virus because I rarely download stuff, and never open random exe's, but I should back up all my stuff. I did get a BSOD a few days ago out of no where...

I wouldn't worry, the only people that get this are those dim enough to download and run EXEs disguised as PDFs within a ZIP file attached to an e-mail.

Uh, actually. If this is the ransomware I'm thinking of, this was a drive-by virus.

That being, you could ignore all the PDF.EXE you want and you'll STILL get it if you run across the virus.

Drive by virus? Is that a term for virus that's infected a website?
---
Copyright free literature available at http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Main_Page... otherwise known as Tex-Mex
2 years ago#43
I'd think that Noscript and the COMODO firewall would be enough to protect you from it.
---
"Undying, we Occuria light the path for wayward sons of man. Oft did we pass judgment on them so that Ivalice might endure."
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Warning others of new ransomware Virus "Cryptolocker" going around.

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived