This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Warning others of new ransomware Virus "Cryptolocker" going around.

#41Jason_HudsonPosted 10/28/2013 5:28:43 PM
I'm glad I don't ever download attachments. Hell, I rarely check my e-mails as it is. I can understand if it is a 'drive by' virus and your work involves the need to receive attachments. I wonder if it's transferred from someone that gets infected and it sends it out to people in their e-mail address book (like some spam viruses do). Would make a lot of sense to have it do that - people trust those who they know after all.

It's always best to keep a backup on an external drive of your important files so you can just nuke the hard drive if you get a virus on it or just get a new one and throw the infected one to the depths of the ocean if formatting it doesn't work.
---
Thank you for saving gaming and for giving us Steam, Gabe Newell
#42RequiemPosted 10/29/2013 10:45:55 AM
HanfengLin posted...
JKatarn posted...
exclusiveburner posted...
This does sound quite nasty. I'm not worried I'd get this virus because I rarely download stuff, and never open random exe's, but I should back up all my stuff. I did get a BSOD a few days ago out of no where...

I wouldn't worry, the only people that get this are those dim enough to download and run EXEs disguised as PDFs within a ZIP file attached to an e-mail.

Uh, actually. If this is the ransomware I'm thinking of, this was a drive-by virus.

That being, you could ignore all the PDF.EXE you want and you'll STILL get it if you run across the virus.

Drive by virus? Is that a term for virus that's infected a website?
---
Copyright free literature available at http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Main_Page... otherwise known as Tex-Mex
#43Dynast_KingPosted 10/29/2013 11:02:58 AM
I'd think that Noscript and the COMODO firewall would be enough to protect you from it.
---
"Undying, we Occuria light the path for wayward sons of man. Oft did we pass judgment on them so that Ivalice might endure."