This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Will an Apple computer perform better than a similarly-spec'd PC?

#21call of dutyPosted 10/26/2013 5:41:07 PM
TheAnthraxBunny posted...
BadProfessional posted...
No. Apple adds around 15-20% on almost all components compared to companies like Dell or HP/Compaq, and you can build an identical system to a Mac with either company.

This has been proven wrong way more times than it's been proven right. Apple will sometimes price a product here and there a little too high, but all brands do that.

Edit: Also, thanks for the answers you guys. You were all very helpful.

Actually they price about every component higher. Take a look at their USB cables or heck even Apple branded WiFi routers.
---
Number of people who claim that I'm an idiot because of my username, even though they were not born when I created my account nor ever played the first CoD: 14
#22SinisterSlayPosted 10/27/2013 10:09:49 AM
mrCube posted...
SinisterSlay posted...
Macs tend to perform slower in games.

Do you have benchmarks to back this up? I'm genuinely curious.

You can find them on the net, or even on system requirements pages. Macs tend to require more video power.

But there are a few reasons for this.

Video drivers, on a Mac, are almost always outdated. (By both manufacturer, or user simply not updating them)
Most Mac gaming is on laptops, and Mac laptops have their processors and graphics set to boost up to their top speed, then slow down. This is done to keep cool but still make the system feel snappy. Since a game is a prolonged process, the video chip gets slowed down to keep itself cool.
Neither is directly a fault of the OS itself.

You'll have a hard time finding fair benchmarks because most of the games are Mac ports and just like how PC gets crappy console ports, Mac gets crappy PC ports.
Here is a comparison of Portal
http://kotaku.com/5541256/just-how-fast-are-steam-games-on-the-mac
But how do we know Valve didn't just mess up the port?

If someone wants to make a hackintosh computer on their gaming machine, and do some benchmark tests, that would be helpful.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#23DragnfyrPosted 10/27/2013 10:55:32 AM
PraetorXyn posted...
TheAnthraxBunny posted...
KaiRyusaki posted...
So you're pretty much asking if OSX is more optimized than 7/8?

Pretty much.

Psykic Petrol posted...
I think you're mistaking OSX for something like iOS.

No, I think the same thing could apply to both.

OS X is actually built on top of BSD Unix, which, like Windows, is built to run on anything.
Apple didn't develop OS X from the ground up, so it's really not comparable to something like iOS optimization wise.

iOS is built on top of the OS X kernel as well.
Also OS X is definitely more optimized than Windows for Macs. At least in terms of battery life.
---
MacBook Pro with Retina Display | 15.4" 2880x1800 | Core i7-3615QM @ 2.3GHz | 8GB DDR3 1600MHz | GT 650M 1GB GDDR5 | 256GB SSD | OSX 10.9 | Windows 8.1 Pro