This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

290x: first single-gpu setup that should be recommended to have 650+ watts?

• Topic Archived
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. 290x: first single-gpu setup that should be recommended to have 650+ watts?
3 years ago#1
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/R9_290X/31.html

Power draw also increases immensely, going from just above 400 W for the whole system to around 650 W! To conclude, I expect extreme overlclockers with access to liquid nitrogen to love this card. Everyone else will probably find voltage tuning beyond +0.05 V to be too hot and too noisy.

First FX9590, and now this. So much for cool 'n quiet. Kind of odd how the tables have turned.
Want that Shield!
Ball and Cup on ps mobile has framerate issues. -stargazer64
3 years ago#2
You get what you pay for.
Megagunstarman
you do know that the ps4 has ddr5 ram right? with the speed that the ps4s ram downloads at it would only take a few seconds to download killzone
3 years ago#3
Overclocked? You realize that Titans by themselves can draw in excess of 500W when overclocked too right?
Intel Core i7 3820 | EVGA X79 SLI K2 | MSI 7950 Twin Frozr III | Samsung / 840 120GB / 8GB RAM | 1TB WD Caviar Blue | Corsair / 550D / H70 | Silencer MKIII 600W
3 years ago#4
I find that pretty hard to believe, since that's well out of ATX specification. That, and I'm not really seeing that in reviews either.
You're not talking about modded/hacked extreme overclocking, right? Because this is on air, on a stock card, without any modification.
Want that Shield!
3 years ago#5
Alot of older hardware needs beyond 650 watts, this isn't a big surprise
Are you a MexiCAN or a MexiCAN'T - Johnny Depp 'Once Upon A Time in Mexico'
3 years ago#6
1300MHz runs at 1.3V? Yeah poke around on OCN a bit and you'll see. GK110 is a huge, power hungry chip. The only reason it doesn't consume much at stock is because it's clocked conservatively.
Intel Core i7 3820 | EVGA X79 SLI K2 | MSI 7950 Twin Frozr III | Samsung / 840 120GB / 8GB RAM | 1TB WD Caviar Blue | Corsair / 550D / H70 | Silencer MKIII 600W
3 years ago#7
well amd cant win at the cool n quiet zone so they aim to take over the hot and loud zone
3 years ago#8
Ok for as long as it performs
Super Mario Kart is the single best Mario Kart ever!
3 years ago#9
Snuckie7 posted...
1300MHz runs at 1.3V? Yeah poke around on OCN a bit and you'll see. GK110 is a huge, power hungry chip. The only reason it doesn't consume much at stock is because it's clocked conservatively.

Got any links?
Want that Shield!
(message deleted)
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. 290x: first single-gpu setup that should be recommended to have 650+ watts?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived