This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How is planetside 2?

#1iPWNtheNoobsPosted 10/26/2013 5:42:27 PM
Hmm? For those who tried it what you think? Worth the download?
---
Space Waster
#2r7gerrabbitPosted 10/26/2013 5:45:21 PM
Played it when it first came out. Enjoyed it for a few days then I was done with it.

It has a huge map, sure. But everything looks the same and battles rarely/never take place outside the bases. Since all bases are pretty much copy/pasted it gets old very quickly. You just move from one base to another and then fight in the same copy/pasted environments.

Not to mention the ridiculous grind. I'm 100% against buying digital items so I tried to earn them in game. Felt too much like work to continue.
---
http://i.imgur.com/Mqy7G.gif
#3iPWNtheNoobs(Topic Creator)Posted 10/26/2013 5:48:54 PM
Okay, thanks.
---
Space Waster
#4Orestes417Posted 10/26/2013 6:02:27 PM
Do you like Battlefield? Do you want to play a giant match of conquest with no end or guarantee of evenly sized teams? Do you own an intel processor? If so Planetside 2 may be for you
---
If they asked how I died tell them: Still angry.
#5__starsnostarsPosted 10/26/2013 6:17:10 PM
Orestes417 posted...
Do you like Battlefield? Do you want to play a giant match of conquest with no end or guarantee of evenly sized teams? Do you own an intel processor? If so Planetside 2 may be for you

Sign me up. Downloading now.
#6wizardmonPosted 10/26/2013 6:25:48 PM(edited)
r7gerrabbit posted...
Played it when it first came out. Enjoyed it for a few days then I was done with it.

It has a huge map, sure. But everything looks the same and battles rarely/never take place outside the bases. Since all bases are pretty much copy/pasted it gets old very quickly. You just move from one base to another and then fight in the same copy/pasted environments.

Not to mention the ridiculous grind. I'm 100% against buying digital items so I tried to earn them in game. Felt too much like work to continue.

They changed the bases around quite a lot since it first came out - also never play it lone wolf and expect to fight anywhere but bases. Fighting in a full platoon I've been on perimeter patrol and in vehicle path bottleneck ambush squads multiple times. (That time the entire squad all jetpacked over a bunch of sunderers driving through a narrow ravine and rained C4 down upon them, so fun!)

However, the game is not without it's problems, mostly it's just a frustrating game to really get into. No matters how good your squad is, or how much teamwork you use you always run the risk of just getting overwelmed by tons of players. Even if they are really bad players the "zerg rush hoard" of players that just go from one location to the next in one big blob warfare migration will always wreck your day.

If your teams blob runs into another teams blob the game's progression will just grind to a halt and the battle sits in one spot for hours - this is both desirable for grinding XP & getting kills, but gets boring quickly, I can only take so much of "Five hours of BIO PLANT ACTION!!!" before I stop playing for a month.
---
I think I'm the only person on gamefaqs with a daughterboard - ToastyOne
New with a moderation history more plentiful than karma. - Fossil (Moderator)
#7JonWood007Posted 10/26/2013 10:24:23 PM
I just got done with an hour of it. Amazing game. One of the best of all time IMO.

It has some downsides, the two ones being

1) Poor performance, although they're apparently getting some new optimization patches next week

2) Since it's an MMO, factions can easily become unbalanced. You can end up with your faction being down to like 20-25%, while another faction steamrolls you on all 3 continents with 40%+ population.

Still a good game though. It's possible to get burnt out if you play it too much, but I'd argue the game happens with any game.
---
Desktop: Phenom II X4 965 | 8 GB DDR3 | HD 5850 | 1 TB HDD | W7 | 650W Antec | 1600x900
Laptop: A6 3400m | 4 GB DDR3 | HD 6520g | 500 GB HDD | W7 | 1366x768