This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Need help with laptop recommendations for design and animation.

#1Zin_LGPosted 10/26/2013 9:12:26 PM
I have a really long commute to and from work and while its been nice to catch up with reading and netflix I would like to use some of that time to doing some personal and other work.

I will be using it for graphic design, illustration, and animation as well as some internet browsing, school work, and general use. I do have a desktop which I currently use for those purposes as well as gaming that I hope to upgrade with in the next year. I'm looking to purchase around Black Friday/Cyber Monday to see if there are any deals.

Also if it had a tablet function where I could write/draw directly on the screen then that would be a plus.

So far my the current choices are

http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/ideapad/y-series/y410p/

Macbook Pro (although if I can find something that can fit my needs and is cheaper then I would go with that)
---
Backlog progress: PS3- 26/43, 360 - 4/8, PSP- 14/48, PC ??/??
Recent completes - Heavy Rain :DC, Bastion, L.A. Noire, Assassin's Creed 2, NIER, Dante's Inferno
#2DoramiPosted 10/26/2013 9:56:03 PM
You can check the x230t, since it has decent digitizer support and a fairly powerful M processor. It's also about to be replaced by the Thinkpad Yoga, so it should go on sale soon. But the terrible screen (TN panel, so it looks faded and goes off color very quickly; and it's only 1366x768) might make it a bad choice.
---
"...Ashley takes on Lord Blazer alone in a white cape with flowing rockstar hair while playing his impossibly cool sword as a guitar..." - LBoksha
#3self-immolationPosted 10/26/2013 10:07:08 PM(edited)
get something with an ips panel or if you can do your own color calibration something with a dedicated/discrete graphics card

most recent ultrabook have ips screens and i think intel mandates that anything with a haswell chip right now must have a touchscreen
---
SMELL THE GASOLINE
I LIGHT THE FIRE INSIDE
#4DoramiPosted 10/26/2013 10:13:04 PM
Touchscreen is mandatory for Haswell ultrabooks.

If it's just an ultrabook, or it just has Haswell, the touchscreen is optional.
---
"...Ashley takes on Lord Blazer alone in a white cape with flowing rockstar hair while playing his impossibly cool sword as a guitar..." - LBoksha
#5Zin_LG(Topic Creator)Posted 10/27/2013 12:37:35 PM
Thanks. These type of laptops seem to be more of what I wanted.
---
Backlog progress: PS3- 26/43, 360 - 4/8, PSP- 14/48, PC ??/??
Recent completes - Heavy Rain :DC, Bastion, L.A. Noire, Assassin's Creed 2, NIER, Dante's Inferno