This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Has Nvidia SLI Improved over time?

#1NfuzedXGamerPosted 10/27/2013 3:00:34 AM
Meaning have more games actually used and supported it? Because for the longest time ive considered sli with this graphics card, ive heard its excellent to SLI because the card itself is under 10 inches and it fits in most ATX Mid towers so theres plenty of headroom after installation

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130915

What are the overall pro's cons of SLI?
#2IzicialPosted 10/27/2013 3:27:06 AM
The only major con of SLI that I've heard is that some games experience artifacting until Nvidia releases new drivers for newer games but I have heard some good things about SLI that you can usually get better performance for cheaper than buying a single more powerful card.
#3DeanWhipperPosted 10/27/2013 3:48:15 AM
As far as my own experiences go, there are only two times you would want to SLI or Crossfire.

1: If you have an aging system and want a cheap upgrade then get a deal on the same card you already have. example, you have a 7850 then a friend has another 7850 he will sell you for 100 bucks.

2: The rare situations where SLI/Crossfire is actually better performance to price ration than the beefy single card.

Titan is a good example of that, from memory 2x 7970 cards is more powerful than a single Titan, but cheaper.

Otherwise in 90% of situations you're better off going for a more powerful single card than two less powerful cards.
---
Is this even legal? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Fxhiq93TTg
#4NfuzedXGamer(Topic Creator)Posted 10/28/2013 1:13:11 AM
Yea i agree, ive always thought one powerful card is more efficent than sli or crossfire, sli/crossfire is better for multiple monitor solutions ill just stick with one card.
#5DarkZV2BetaPosted 10/28/2013 1:31:52 AM
People really shouldn't even be treating Titan as a consumer product after the release of the 780. It was a novelty item, and so it shall remain.

That said, SLI has it's share of problems, from being more CPU heavy/having lower lows in most games to incompatibility with less mainstream titles, inconsistent frame timing, and even graphical glitches, sometimes for quite some time after a game releases. A common one is flickering bloom.
---
Want that Shield!
Ball and Cup on ps mobile has framerate issues. -stargazer64
#6SnipeStarPosted 10/28/2013 1:43:56 AM
ive been using SLI for a few years now, and i haven't had any major issues with it-- the worst i've experienced is games coming out that didn't support it, which isn't the fault of the cards.
---
i7 3820 / Corsair H80i | Asus Sabertooth X79 | 2x GTX 680 4GB | 16GB Corsair Vengeance LP | 2x 600GB Raptor / 2x 1TB WD RE3 | Corsair HX1000w | Silverstone RV01
#7josh_bPosted 10/28/2013 1:54:09 AM
I Agree with the above posters. Only reason I have the 2 GTX 670 4gb models I have in SLI was because I built this system around Christmas time and the second one was given to me as a gift.... having told my wife that's what I wanted but found it on newegg discounted I purchased one myself.

Decided to keep it since later on that second card is going to become handy once the single GTX 670 doesn't perform up to my standards.

I always have the second card disabled unless a game truly benefits from it. Only games ive enabled it so far was The Witcher 2 for Ubersampling and Metro: Last light which pushed my Fps well over 60.

I imagine with Battlefield 4 and games like the Witcher 3 it will help out and keep my fps around 60 hopefully.

A single card is always the better option in almost every case. Also have to have a decent CPU so you don't bottleneck. I have a i7 ready to install in my pc tomorrow so ill be prepared for BF4.
---
i5 2500k 4.5GHZ OC, 32GB DDR3, Galaxy GTX670 4GB SLI, MSI P67A-GD55 Mobo, 128GB SSD, Barracuda Green 1.5TB HDD
Xbox live: tanis8585
#8XjphPosted 10/28/2013 5:30:37 AM
DeanWhipper posted...
As far as my own experiences go, there are only two times you would want to SLI or Crossfire.

1: If you have an aging system and want a cheap upgrade then get a deal on the same card you already have. example, you have a 7850 then a friend has another 7850 he will sell you for 100 bucks.

2: The rare situations where SLI/Crossfire is actually better performance to price ration than the beefy single card.

Titan is a good example of that, from memory 2x 7970 cards is more powerful than a single Titan, but cheaper.

Otherwise in 90% of situations you're better off going for a more powerful single card than two less powerful cards.

You forgot a third option. Cases where price is not a issue and there is no single card that can meet the performance of the SLI setup. Dual 780s or whatnot. :D
---
"Much as a spiders web, it began with a single thread." - Cilym
My Library - http://xjph.net/images/Library.jpg