This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

GTX 780 Overclocked beats R9 290X Overclocked. Dealbreaker for you?

#11wildog2006Posted 10/27/2013 2:52:01 PM
steveboblarry posted...
Eh Iam going to wait for the 880 series

Punctuation is your friend, use it. Unless your name is Eh Lam. If so, my bad, but how did a caveman learn to use a computer?
---
Insert generic offensive/slightly racist/holier than thou/fanboy/douchebag/elitist comment here.
#12PanopictonguyPosted 10/27/2013 3:02:41 PM
I'm looking forward to Crossfiring two Vapor X 290x's. Get a 1200w psu and load my machine up with fans.
---
Oh, you thought they made this game for you? You clearly bought the wrong game.
#13SM1LER7Posted 10/27/2013 4:16:19 PM
Most of the reviews I have read specifically mention that the stock cooler is bad, worse than average, so I am going to reserve judgement until I see some high-end coolers tested.
---
i5 3570K/ P8Z77-V/ GTX 670 FTW/ 8GB Vengeance LP/ AX750/ Hyper 212 EVO/ Carbide 500R
#14steveboblarryPosted 10/27/2013 5:53:41 PM
wildog2006 posted...
steveboblarry posted...

Punctuation is your friend, use it. Unless your name is Eh Lam. If so, my bad, but how did a caveman learn to use a computer?

http://gifrific.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/Ron-Swanson-Says-Dont-Even-Care.gif
---
The moderators are like the watchmen, They need to be watched
#15DarkZV2BetaPosted 10/27/2013 6:04:27 PM
steveboblarry posted...
wildog2006 posted...
steveboblarry posted...

http://gifrific.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/Ron-Swanson-Says-Dont-Even-Care.gif

What's with the stupid linking images instead of typing fad?
It was barely amusing back in the early 2000s on imageboards.
---
Want that Shield!
Ball and Cup on ps mobile has framerate issues. -stargazer64
#16Bazooka_PenguinPosted 10/27/2013 6:15:18 PM(edited)
The 290x isn't aggressively overclocked out of box. AMD's new boost basically works like this. There's a target frequency (the max) and it clocks down towards a minimum frequency to compensate for heat. In other words, it's underclocking.

It's the opposite of Nvidia's boost with Kepler, which starts at a base frequency (a floor) and overclocks towards a max speed (the boost target) and then overclocks even more if the TDP allows it (Kepler boost).

Oh, and Gibbo on OCUK said he got his 290x to 1200+mhz on air
---
Deth Pen
http://i.imgur.com/eMXgU.gif
#17Orestes417Posted 10/27/2013 6:16:17 PM
Not in the market for a new card, won't be for a generation or two. So no, I don't particularly care
---
If they asked how I died tell them: Still angry.
#18The_AntiGrimPosted 10/27/2013 6:18:41 PM
wildog2006 posted...
steveboblarry posted...

chill your roll, beefcake. no one cares about his mistakes, the post was perfectly legible
---
Sidekick to the famous DarkHero
#19DarkZV2BetaPosted 10/27/2013 6:23:12 PM
Bazooka_Penguin posted...
The 290x isn't aggressively overclocked out of box. AMD's new boost basically works like this. There's a target frequency (the max) and it clocks down towards a minimum frequency to compensate for heat. In other words, it's underclocking.

It's the opposite of Nvidia's boost with Kepler, which starts at a base frequency (a floor) and overclocks towards a max speed (the boost target) and then overclocks even more if the TDP allows it (Kepler boost).

Oh, and Gibbo on OCUK said he got his 290x to 1200+mhz on air

I bet it works exactly the same internally, though. Boost speed is actually just a show variable in the bios, and doesn't make any impact on operation.
---
Want that Shield!
Ball and Cup on ps mobile has framerate issues. -stargazer64
#20DiehardFFv2Posted 10/27/2013 6:23:22 PM
The_AntiGrim posted...
wildog2006 posted...
steveboblarry posted...

chill your roll, beefcake. no one cares about his mistakes, the post was perfectly legible

Not everyone is fine with the dumbing down of language simply because something is "readable". No one expects someone else to write graduate level papers on messaging boards, but not adhering to eventhe most basic of grammar rules just demonstrates sheer laziness.
---
Intel i5 3570k | Sapphire r9 280x | 8GB DDR3 | 256GB SSD | 3TB HDD