This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

GTX 780 Overclocked beats R9 290X Overclocked. Dealbreaker for you?

#21Bazooka_PenguinPosted 10/27/2013 5:24:33 PM
DarkZV2Beta posted...
Bazooka_Penguin posted...
The 290x isn't aggressively overclocked out of box. AMD's new boost basically works like this. There's a target frequency (the max) and it clocks down towards a minimum frequency to compensate for heat. In other words, it's underclocking.

It's the opposite of Nvidia's boost with Kepler, which starts at a base frequency (a floor) and overclocks towards a max speed (the boost target) and then overclocks even more if the TDP allows it (Kepler boost).

Oh, and Gibbo on OCUK said he got his 290x to 1200+mhz on air

I bet it works exactly the same internally, though. Boost speed is actually just a show variable in the bios, and doesn't make any impact on operation.

Well it will once the 290x gets custom coolers. It's not going to continue boosting like Nvidia's kepler cards
---
Deth Pen
http://i.imgur.com/eMXgU.gif
#22SM1LER7Posted 10/27/2013 5:45:16 PM
The 290x isn't aggressively overclocked out of box. AMD's new boost basically works like this. There's a target frequency (the max) and it clocks down towards a minimum frequency to compensate for heat. In other words, it's underclocking.

It's the opposite of Nvidia's boost with Kepler, which starts at a base frequency (a floor) and overclocks towards a max speed (the boost target) and then overclocks even more if the TDP allows it (Kepler boost).

Does it also change its frequency based on load as well or will it always run at max temperature allowing?
---
i5 3570K/ P8Z77-V/ GTX 670 FTW/ 8GB Vengeance LP/ AX750/ Hyper 212 EVO/ Carbide 500R
#23DarkZV2BetaPosted 10/27/2013 5:45:44 PM
DarkZV2Beta posted...

I bet it works exactly the same internally, though. Boost speed is actually just a show variable in the bios, and doesn't make any impact on operation.

Well it will once the 290x gets custom coolers. It's not going to continue boosting like Nvidia's kepler cards

nVidia's cards all have a maximum boost as set by voltage, though, as well as a long boost table with a frequency that can only be hit at 1.345v. This is crossreferenced with the maximum allowed voltage to determine maximum clock.(which only goes up to 1.212v, gen 1 Kepler is usually set at 1.163v, which limits it to 1.175v, gen2 kepler is set at I think 1.2v or 1.87v and can be unlocked to 1.212 in software)
Ultimately, the base clock only serves as a floor that it can't throttle below, and I'm pretty sure the "offset" is factored in separately. So a kepler card won't "keep boosting" on a better cooler. It'll just hit it's maximum clockspeed more often.

So essentially, AMD displays a different number(maximum frequency) and calculates offset a different way, and might even factor in voltage differently,(via voltage offset like MSI does for TOV?) but most likely, it's internally very similar.
---
Want that Shield!
Ball and Cup on ps mobile has framerate issues. -stargazer64
#24DarkZV2BetaPosted 10/27/2013 5:47:03 PM
SM1LER7 posted...

Does it also change its frequency based on load as well or will it always run at max temperature allowing?

It's based on TDP/load as well as temperature, just like Boost 2.0.
Fan Speed/Temperature/Voltage/Power draw. Exact same variables nVidia uses.

Maybe the rumors about AMD engineers switching sides and leaking Boost to nVidia to beat AMD to market were true.
---
Want that Shield!
#25steveboblarryPosted 10/27/2013 5:47:54 PM
DarkZV2Beta posted...
steveboblarry posted...
wildog2006 posted...
steveboblarry posted...
Eh Iam going to wait for the 880 series

Punctuation is your friend, use it. Unless your name is Eh Lam. If so, my bad, but how did a caveman learn to use a computer?

http://gifrific.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/Ron-Swanson-Says-Dont-Even-Care.gif

What's with the stupid linking images instead of typing fad?
It was barely amusing back in the early 2000s on imageboards.

I like ron swanson
---
The moderators are like the watchmen, They need to be watched
#26DarkZV2BetaPosted 10/27/2013 5:48:53 PM
steveboblarry posted...
DarkZV2Beta posted...
steveboblarry posted...
wildog2006 posted...
steveboblarry posted...

Punctuation is your friend, use it. Unless your name is Eh Lam. If so, my bad, but how did a caveman learn to use a computer?

http://gifrific.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/Ron-Swanson-Says-Dont-Even-Care.gif

What's with the stupid linking images instead of typing fad?
It was barely amusing back in the early 2000s on imageboards.

I like ron swanson

Like a creepy fangirl, I bet.
---
Want that Shield!
#27steveboblarryPosted 10/27/2013 5:53:12 PM
Omg your so right, He is just so manly
---
#28MasterDonGeroPosted 10/27/2013 5:55:01 PM
DiehardFFv2 posted...
The_AntiGrim posted...
wildog2006 posted...
steveboblarry posted...

chill your roll, beefcake. no one cares about his mistakes, the post was perfectly legible

Not everyone is fine with the dumbing down of language simply because something is "readable". No one expects someone else to write graduate level papers on messaging boards, but not adhering to eventhe most basic of grammar rules just demonstrates sheer laziness.

Dude, you can't make any errors in a post that is criticizing someone's language skills.
---
3570K (4.8 GHz) | Dual-X 7970 | ASRock Z77 OC Formula | Corsair Vengeance 2x 4 GB | WD Black 1 TB | Corsair TX750 | XSPC Raystorm 750 RS240 Kit | NZXT Phantom
#29steveboblarryPosted 10/27/2013 5:56:08 PM
MasterDonGero posted...
DiehardFFv2 posted...
The_AntiGrim posted...
wildog2006 posted...
steveboblarry posted...

chill your roll, beefcake. no one cares about his mistakes, the post was perfectly legible

Not everyone is fine with the dumbing down of language simply because something is "readable". No one expects someone else to write graduate level papers on messaging boards, but not adhering to eventhe most basic of grammar rules just demonstrates sheer laziness.

Dude, you can't make any errors in a post that is criticizing someone's language skills.

Welcome to gamefaqs, home to where people think there opinions matter
---
#30Bazooka_PenguinPosted 10/27/2013 6:13:30 PM
DarkZV2Beta posted...
DarkZV2Beta posted...

nVidia's cards all have a maximum boost as set by voltage, though, as well as a long boost table with a frequency that can only be hit at 1.345v. This is crossreferenced with the maximum allowed voltage to determine maximum clock.(which only goes up to 1.212v, gen 1 Kepler is usually set at 1.163v, which limits it to 1.175v, gen2 kepler is set at I think 1.2v or 1.87v and can be unlocked to 1.212 in software)
Ultimately, the base clock only serves as a floor that it can't throttle below, and I'm pretty sure the "offset" is factored in separately. So a kepler card won't "keep boosting" on a better cooler. It'll just hit it's maximum clockspeed more often.

So essentially, AMD displays a different number(maximum frequency) and calculates offset a different way, and might even factor in voltage differently,(via voltage offset like MSI does for TOV?) but most likely, it's internally very similar.

The difference is that Nvidia's cards don't have an hard ceiling for the kepler boost. Kepler boost is (very conservatively) determined by the aforementioned parameters, not a hard limit, so if an individual chip can it will boost as high as it can for the given parameters. But 1000mhz is a hard limit, so even if the particular 290x chip could boost higher at a given voltage, temperature, and/or power limit it won't ever go over that limit; you'd have to OC it manually at that point. Nvidia's boost, as far as we know, is better than AMD's.
---
Deth Pen
http://i.imgur.com/eMXgU.gif