This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

oven trick: great success!

• Topic Archived
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. oven trick: great success!
2 years ago#1
The 8800gts 512 that I use in my media center rig gave the telltale signs last week: random dots and symbols during the post, running horizontal lines, low-bit colors. It just got worse and worse each day until it wouldn't even make it to the startup screen.

so I pulled the card, removed the heatsink and cleaned the thermal paste off, and put it in the oven at 385F for 9 minutes.

it's back in the rig and everything works like new.

http://img849.imageshack.us/img849/4845/5tbs.jpg
---
GameFAQs isn't going to be merged in with GameSpot or any other site. We're not going to strip out the soul of the site.
2 years ago#2
Did it smell weird when you baked the card?
---
Corsair 500r ~ P8Z68-V Pro ~ i5 2500k ~ Hyper 212+ ~ Corsair 2x4gb ~ TX750w v2 ~ 560 Ti ~ F3 1TB ~ Crucial M4 128GB ~ Xonar DG ~ Tt Meka G1 ~ Asus PA248Q
2 years ago#3
yeah, you could smell it a bit, but I knew it was going to outgas, so I had the vent on and the windows open. It wasn't an overpowering chemical odor at all, but enough to notice it when I opened the oven door.
---
GameFAQs isn't going to be merged in with GameSpot or any other site. We're not going to strip out the soul of the site.
2 years ago#4
Enjoy your lung cancer
2 years ago#5
A little lung cancer never hurt anyone.
---
Big Money. Big Women. Big Fun.
Skillz Ferguson
2 years ago#6
Contract lung cancer in an effort to save $30

TC made the right call.
---
*under construction*
(message deleted)
2 years ago#8
It's usually a good temporary solution, but your card's going to die again soon.
---
Intel Core i7 3820 | EVGA X79 SLI K2 | MSI 7950 Twin Frozr III | Samsung / 840 120GB / 8GB RAM | 1TB WD Caviar Blue | Corsair / 550D / H70 | Silencer MKIII 600W
(message deleted)
2 years ago#10
stmstr posted...
Enjoy your lung cancer

I already work with asbestos, silica, chrome 6 and a bunch of other fun stuff. No worries.

Snuckie7 posted...
It's usually a good temporary solution, but your card's going to die again soon.

yeah, but it was a fun experience and cheaper than buying a new card. I'll get an itx fm2 system when this finally dies.
---
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. oven trick: great success!

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived