This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Great GPU + Bad CPU = ???

#1Garquille14Posted 10/27/2013 1:18:54 PM
I have a Phenom II x4 3.4GHz at the moment and an HD5750
I can't buy a new CPU without a new mobo so I'm curious how having a 770 with the above processor would work out until I can buy both a cpu and mobo
---
backloggery.com/Garquille
"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." ~ A. Einstein
#2happyscrub1Posted 10/27/2013 1:23:03 PM
GPU >>>>>>>>>>>>> CPU

I'm still rocking duo.
---
Never forget.... Building #7
#3YoungAdultLinkPosted 10/27/2013 1:23:05 PM
I'd rather have an i5 and a 5770 than a phenom and a 770, just for useability in areas beyond gaming.
---
Once we perfect building Mechs, I expect there to be a factory in Mexico pumping out a brand call Mechsican. I wanna buy me a Mechsican.
steamid: Rohchya
#4Garquille14(Topic Creator)Posted 10/27/2013 1:23:39 PM
also I could do it the other way around, because a mobo + cpu would be about the same price as the gpu tier I want
---
backloggery.com/Garquille
"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." ~ A. Einstein
#5WyzeGyePosted 10/27/2013 1:51:14 PM(edited)
Upgrading your graphics card will give you more of a boost than a CPU upgrade would. Then you'll be in the boat im in where the CPU is the next upgrade.

If you're using that CPU there is a chance that your board supports AM3+ CPUs you may not need to upgrade your motherboard, you can use any fx cpu with it, so keep that in mind.

Edit: thought the 965 was an am3+ CPU.
---
http://pcpartpicker.com/b/GCJ
http://youtu.be/0eSfcUzGTdk
#6DarkZV2BetaPosted 10/27/2013 1:32:32 PM
WyzeGye posted...
Upgrading your graphics card will give you more of a boost than a CPU upgrade would. Then you'll be in the boat im in where the CPU is the next upgrade.

If you're using that CPU you don't need to upgrade your motherboard, you can use any fx cpu with it, so keep that in mind.

This is incorrect. Only more recent AM3 socket boards will work with AMD FX processors.
On top of that, there's nothing in the FX line worth getting anyway.

You can turn settings and resolution down to improve performance on your GPU, but a game that's CPU bound will always be CPU bound.
---
Want that Shield!
Ball and Cup on ps mobile has framerate issues. -stargazer64
#7WerdnAndreWPosted 10/27/2013 1:35:06 PM
Garquille14 posted...
also I could do it the other way around, because a mobo + cpu would be about the same price as the gpu tier I want

I'd rather get a new gpu...
---
Corsair 500r ~ P8Z68-V Pro ~ i5 2500k ~ Hyper 212+ ~ Corsair 2x4gb ~ TX750w v2 ~ 560 Ti ~ F3 1TB ~ Crucial M4 128GB ~ Xonar DG ~ Tt Meka G1 ~ Asus PA248Q
#8KabtheMentatPosted 10/27/2013 1:44:08 PM
I'm somewhat in the same boat as the TC. Have the same processor, but a 7850. So my GPU isn't that bad.

With that said, I'm able to play most games high settings at 1080 and get good frame rates (50-60FPS+). However like the guy above me said, you'll have problems with CPU intensive games. Good example of this is BF3. I've played a ton of that lately and my GPU is more than able to play it at high settings, 1080, 60FPS. Problem I run into is in the larger maps/servers with 64 players. That stuff wrecks CPUs and I'll get dips into the 40s and sometimes 30s. Even if I lower graphical settings and resolution, it still happens. So that means it's a CPU issue.

IMO, get the GPU and upgrade the CPU/motherboard a little later. You'll be able to play most games at good settings and resolutions, unless we're talking MMOs and other games with a lot of players at one time. Those are typically CPU intensive games.
---
Big Money. Big Women. Big Fun.
Skillz Ferguson
#9WyzeGyePosted 10/27/2013 1:52:33 PM
DarkZV2Beta posted...

This is incorrect.

My bad, fixed it.
---
http://pcpartpicker.com/b/GCJ
http://youtu.be/0eSfcUzGTdk
#10IzicialPosted 10/27/2013 2:05:13 PM
RTS and MMO games are the only games that really really demand a good cpu. Otherwise a better gpu will almost always be better.