This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

[Poll] Board consensus on Hybrid-Drives

#1MaxCHEATER64Posted 10/27/2013 4:32:13 PM
HSSDs vs. HDDs - Results (43 votes)
HSSD
37.21% (16 votes)
HDD
62.79% (27 votes)
This poll is now closed.
?
---
i5-3570K | HD 7850 | Z77-D3H | 700W | Intel 550 180GB | Seagate Barracuda 1T
http://i.imgur.com/xUwa3va.png
#2Orestes417Posted 10/27/2013 4:37:08 PM
They're nice in laptops, never really thought about using one in a desktop though
---
If they asked how I died tell them: Still angry.
#3DV8ingSourcesPosted 10/27/2013 4:48:11 PM(edited)
Too little information. Right now I still recommend a separate SSD and HDD combo. Hybrid SSD's seem to fill a niche that just isn't there for the desktop user. If you can only have 1 drive, it might make a bit more sense but if you can have more than one drive a proper ssd will be faster and a regular HDD larger/cheaper.

Edit: Hybrid HDD's are still more expensive than regular HDD's so I'm not sure if I'd recommend the former over the latter. It really depends on what sort of data you keep will be keeping on the hybrid hdd and how many drives in general you have. I suppose you could argue that it can help with some frequently played games but I've gotten used to just transferring over the odd game to my ssd instead. Its better than a regular HDD in most ways aside from the most important imo; cost. So if money is no object, I'd get large hybrid HDD's. Keep in mind that I'm fairly sure having the 2 technologies melded together raises the failure rate.
---
2500k @ 4.4 | P8Z68-V Pro | H80 | 8GB | 670 | 256 ssd | 6Tb hdd | Win 8 64bit | ax1200w | BD burner | cm690II
Steam: DV8ing1
#4MaxCHEATER64(Topic Creator)Posted 10/27/2013 4:40:36 PM
DV8ingSources posted...
Too little information. Right now I still recommend a separate SSD and HDD combo. Hybrid SSD's seem to fill a niche that just isn't there for the desktop user. If you can only have 1 drive, it might make a bit more sense but if you can have more than one drive a proper ssd will be faster and an regular HDD larger/cheaper.

Ah yes, I should clarify.

I mean using an HSSD instead of HDDs. Like having one SSD and one HSSD.

---
i5-3570K | HD 7850 | Z77-D3H | 700W | Intel 550 180GB | Seagate Barracuda 1T
http://i.imgur.com/xUwa3va.png
#5TheC0ndemnedOnePosted 10/27/2013 4:45:37 PM(edited)
DV8ingSources posted...
Too little information. Right now I still recommend a separate SSD and HDD combo. Hybrid SSD's seem to fill a niche that just isn't there for the desktop user. If you can only have 1 drive, it might make a bit more sense but if you can have more than one drive a proper ssd will be faster and an regular HDD larger/cheaper.

I too would recommend an SSD and an HDD, but I believe the poll is asking "in the event that you can only have one storage device -- an SSHD or an HDD - which one would you pick?".

Since SSHDs are basically HDDs with a bit better performance for a bit more money, it's a good question. SSDs are just too different to include in the poll.

MaxCHEATER64 posted...
DV8ingSources posted...

Never mind then. This thread just got a lot more pointless.
---
http://gifsoup.com/webroot/animatedgifs/55488_o.gif
http://www.d-e-f-i-n-i-t-e-l-y.com/
#6este914Posted 10/27/2013 7:31:47 PM
zzzzzzzzzzzz
---
...::: este914 :::...
The One & Only!
#7reincarnator07Posted 10/28/2013 4:50:06 AM
MaxCHEATER64 posted...
DV8ingSources posted...

If you have the room for multiple drives, there is little point in a hybrid drive. They're not as fast as SSDs and not as cheap as HDDs. Most of the stuff you'd want on a mass storage device doesn't benefit much from the extra speed.
---
Fan of metal? Don't mind covers? Check out my youtube and give me some feedback
http://www.youtube.com/sircaballero
#8SinisterSlayPosted 10/28/2013 6:51:08 AM
From what I've seen Hybrid drives do give a large performance boost similar to that of SSD's, but it takes longer as it just puts recently or frequently access files on the SSD.
So until things like the registry hive, or your favorite games get copied over, they remain slow.

As for failure, far as I know, when the SSD portion fails, the drive functions as a hard drive.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#9PhilOnDezPosted 10/28/2013 6:59:27 AM
I would only ever consider one for a laptop with a single HDD slot. I usually buy 15-17" laptops though so if I wanted to I'd probably have room for two.

For a desktop though, absolutely not.
---
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez
#10SinisterSlayPosted 10/28/2013 9:04:29 AM
PhilOnDez posted...
I would only ever consider one for a laptop with a single HDD slot. I usually buy 15-17" laptops though so if I wanted to I'd probably have room for two.

For a desktop though, absolutely not.

No it's nice for desktops too.

The speed boost of the SSD without having to worry about multiple drives.
Great for rookie users.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence