This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Thoughts about the next gen consoles

#1tirn33Posted 10/27/2013 3:53:07 PM
How long do you think this upcoming console generation will last and what resolution do you think consoles and PC's are at when the next gen (after PS4/XboxOne) comes?

Xbox 360 launched in 2005 with most users running 1024x768 on PC's. It lasted 8 years.

I personally think 4k will just start becoming viable (able to build a computer with 4k monitor for ~$2k) and it will only last 5 years.

I feel since PS4/XboxOne is a medium ~200w PC at best. No way they are around for 8 years again.
#2KalammerPosted 10/27/2013 3:56:28 PM
I think the horse is dead, Jim!
---
"My job isn't to offer help in the way that you mean." - Boogiepop
#3DV8ingSourcesPosted 10/27/2013 4:10:30 PM(edited)
Exactly what kind of conversation were you trying to start up here TC? A giant circlejerk? People patting you on the back and saying well done? Nothing you said is in any way insightful or informative and merely parrots what we already know.

Guess what? Consoles don't need to be super powerful to be useful devices. Sure we have potential to do and experience more on pc in the future but so long as game developers continue to make games for the next gen consoles, they will have value. Do I see a larger shift towards PC? Yes I do but that doesn't mean that consoles don't have their place next gen.

There are still people out there that don't have 1080p screens in the house. What makes you think the demand for 4k will be all that high? What makes you think that consoles will NEED a refresh in 5 years? I don't know about you but after playing GTA5 on ancient hardware, I was quite satisfied. The hardware in current gen systems is atrocious but next gen is fixing the biggest issue in a big way. RAM.

Games are the root cause of a gaming device's demand. Games are already at the point that graphics aren't going to be making leaps ahead like previous generations. A good game will be a good game regardless of the power behind it. You don't need bleeding edge technology to create a fulfilling well done experience.

TLDR; Next gen consoles are fine and will last as long as developers can stomach.
---
2500k @ 4.4 | P8Z68-V Pro | H80 | 8GB | 670 | 256 ssd | 6Tb hdd | Win 8 64bit | ax1200w | BD burner | cm690II
Steam: DV8ing1
#4DerPancakePosted 10/27/2013 4:10:59 PM
They will last longer than last gen.
---
Megagunstarman
you do know that the ps4 has ddr5 ram right? with the speed that the ps4s ram downloads at it would only take a few seconds to download killzone
#5EpicKingdom_Posted 10/27/2013 4:11:04 PM
Consoles will always remain crap in terms of performance compared to PC. The only useful purpose console serve us (us being the master race) is keeping the industry alive and mainstream with AAA titles etc.
---
http://www.youtube.com/user/PCGamingMasterRace87/videos
#6BogePosted 10/27/2013 4:14:26 PM
I think this next generation of consoles will last near 10 years.

I think PC resolutions will still be lower, maybe 1440p standard at that time. Reason why is because the current consoles will be holding back the standard. They'll still be pushing 1080p maybe standard by the end of the generation. Games will be ports, so performance will often be shoddy.

I know a lot of people feel this past generation of console gaming held PC gaming back. I think it will be worse this next generation. That's the reason, if any, that PC gaming will die, because it's unable to flourish due to favored console development.
---
Don't lie to someone who trusts you.
Don't trust someone who lies to you.
#7stmstrPosted 10/27/2013 4:23:29 PM
Boge posted...
I think this next generation of consoles will last near 10 years.

I think PC resolutions will still be lower, maybe 1440p standard at that time. Reason why is because the current consoles will be holding back the standard. They'll still be pushing 1080p maybe standard by the end of the generation. Games will be ports, so performance will often be shoddy.

I know a lot of people feel this past generation of console gaming held PC gaming back. I think it will be worse this next generation. That's the reason, if any, that PC gaming will die, because it's unable to flourish due to favored console development.

I agree with this, aside from PC gaming dying.

Look at what some of the most popular PC games tend to be. Competitive RTS+MOBA+FPS, strategy, indie, MMO, etc.

Majority of these things aren't affected at all by graphics or physics engines or whatever. People stick to the same PC games for years just because of the game play. That's all we need.
#8LoshadtPosted 10/27/2013 4:31:39 PM
Good potential ruined by mediocre hardware and awful launch titles.
---
Russian is my first language, so yes there may be a spelling error or two.
Kirino is best girl.
#9AlexKidd5000Posted 10/27/2013 4:40:10 PM
Not at all impressed by them. And I absolutely hate Microsoft with a passion. The new consoles are still unable to do 1080p, something PC has been able to do for nearly a decade now. Using PC hardware that is already 4 years old, performance wise. The Xbone won't have any good games for a while. I'll pass on the next gen console just like I did with the last ones.
#10AlexKidd5000Posted 10/27/2013 4:41:24 PM
And by the way, when the 360 lunched, I was already playing PC games at 1600x1200.