This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Are there any "newb friendly" tutorial guides for Civ 5? Its overwhelming.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Are there any "newb friendly" tutorial guides for Civ 5? Its overwhelming.

User Info: TheSchref

TheSchref
3 years ago#11
Came in expecting a bunch of people yelling something like, "YOU THINK CIV V IS HARD!? GO TRY CIV IV! THAT'S A MAN'S GAME!!"

Pleasantly surprised.

User Info: ShadowThaReaper

ShadowThaReaper
3 years ago#12
Civilization overall isn't a very complicated series.

User Info: Ravenoussd

Ravenoussd
3 years ago#13
TheSchref posted...
Came in expecting a bunch of people yelling something like, "YOU THINK CIV V IS HARD!? GO TRY CIV IV! THAT'S A MAN'S GAME!!"

Pleasantly surprised.

hehehe same...but kinda disappointed in a way hah
1055T | M4a77d | 6gb ddr2 | AMD 6870 | Sonata III | Antec 500w earthwatts | 500gb HD | 27" Monitor | Blu ray/dvd burner | Win 7 Prof | Razer BlackWidow Ult

User Info: lionheart5656

lionheart5656
3 years ago#14
ahahaha never heard someone say civilization was complicated.

Explore. Build whatever you can in cities. Build a few military units. Press End turn.

9 times out of 10 you'll win on normal difficulty and I assume that you are on embarrassingly easy difficulty.
http://tinyurl.com/3ljyptn
Shooting blanks, every time, all the time.

User Info: KabtheMentat

KabtheMentat
3 years ago#15
Civilization isn't a complicated game, but if you're new to the series it does throw a lot of crap at you all at once. Trying to sort through it and figuring out what you need to be doing can take some time.

Best example I could give to people already familiar with Civ is if you haven't played Crusader Kings 2, go play that right now and report back. Guarantee you'll be "WTF AM I DOING?!"
Big Money. Big Women. Big Fun.
Skillz Ferguson

User Info: TheSchref

TheSchref
3 years ago#16
KabtheMentat posted...
Civilization isn't a complicated game, but if you're new to the series it does throw a lot of crap at you all at once. Trying to sort through it and figuring out what you need to be doing can take some time.

Best example I could give to people already familiar with Civ is if you haven't played Crusader Kings 2, go play that right now and report back. Guarantee you'll be "WTF AM I DOING?!"

Can confirm.

Tried it at a friend's house with the Game of Thrones mod. Quit after a few minutes of having no idea what to do. Maybe I'll pick it up again and follow a few tutorials or something, lol.

User Info: KabtheMentat

KabtheMentat
3 years ago#17
Funny part is CK2 is stupid easy once you get the mechanics down. You'll still run into a few things that'll have you going, "WTF was that?" but otherwise you can play it like a pro.
Big Money. Big Women. Big Fun.
Skillz Ferguson

User Info: HighOnPhazon

HighOnPhazon
3 years ago#18
If you want any help in Civ V, PM me. I really love the game, especially with both DLCs. If you don't have those, do yourself a favor and get them. Anyway, watching lets plays on youtube by the previously mentioned Quill18 and lurking on the civfanatics forums gave me an incredible amount of knowledge.
GT/Steam: AncientToaster
i5 3750K / ASRock Z77 Extreme 4 / Patriot Viper 8GB /Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 3GB/ Corsair TX650

User Info: claytonbuckley

claytonbuckley
3 years ago#19
I recently got it with that Joystick voting thing. i just went straight in and played it. Sure i was probably horrible, but i got alot of it.

So that's my advice, set up a game against a couple of easy bots and just learn. you'll suck, but you'll learn.
Pointing out your stupidity is not trolling

User Info: TimePharaoh

TimePharaoh
3 years ago#20
TheSchref posted...

Pleasantly surprised.

If he's having problems playing a simplified game, why would someone tell him to play the more complex, deeper one?

Terrible logic and bad expectations, you should feel bad
HE are genius, firstly. - ASlaveObeys
GestapoFAQs http://i.imgur.com/prqCDHz.png http://i.imgur.com/ooNGE4u.png
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Are there any "newb friendly" tutorial guides for Civ 5? Its overwhelming.

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived