This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Are there any "newb friendly" tutorial guides for Civ 5? Its overwhelming.

#11TheSchrefPosted 10/27/2013 8:09:15 PM
Came in expecting a bunch of people yelling something like, "YOU THINK CIV V IS HARD!? GO TRY CIV IV! THAT'S A MAN'S GAME!!"

Pleasantly surprised.
#12ShadowThaReaperPosted 10/27/2013 8:13:35 PM
Civilization overall isn't a very complicated series.
#13RavenoussdPosted 10/27/2013 8:55:48 PM(edited)
TheSchref posted...
Came in expecting a bunch of people yelling something like, "YOU THINK CIV V IS HARD!? GO TRY CIV IV! THAT'S A MAN'S GAME!!"

Pleasantly surprised.

hehehe same...but kinda disappointed in a way hah
---
1055T | M4a77d | 6gb ddr2 | AMD 6870 | Sonata III | Antec 500w earthwatts | 500gb HD | 27" Monitor | Blu ray/dvd burner | Win 7 Prof | Razer BlackWidow Ult
#14lionheart5656Posted 10/27/2013 8:59:43 PM
ahahaha never heard someone say civilization was complicated.

Explore. Build whatever you can in cities. Build a few military units. Press End turn.

9 times out of 10 you'll win on normal difficulty and I assume that you are on embarrassingly easy difficulty.
---
http://tinyurl.com/3ljyptn
Shooting blanks, every time, all the time.
#15KabtheMentatPosted 10/27/2013 9:02:34 PM
Civilization isn't a complicated game, but if you're new to the series it does throw a lot of crap at you all at once. Trying to sort through it and figuring out what you need to be doing can take some time.

Best example I could give to people already familiar with Civ is if you haven't played Crusader Kings 2, go play that right now and report back. Guarantee you'll be "WTF AM I DOING?!"
---
Big Money. Big Women. Big Fun.
Skillz Ferguson
#16TheSchrefPosted 10/27/2013 9:27:42 PM
KabtheMentat posted...
Civilization isn't a complicated game, but if you're new to the series it does throw a lot of crap at you all at once. Trying to sort through it and figuring out what you need to be doing can take some time.

Best example I could give to people already familiar with Civ is if you haven't played Crusader Kings 2, go play that right now and report back. Guarantee you'll be "WTF AM I DOING?!"

Can confirm.

Tried it at a friend's house with the Game of Thrones mod. Quit after a few minutes of having no idea what to do. Maybe I'll pick it up again and follow a few tutorials or something, lol.
#17KabtheMentatPosted 10/27/2013 9:32:05 PM
Funny part is CK2 is stupid easy once you get the mechanics down. You'll still run into a few things that'll have you going, "WTF was that?" but otherwise you can play it like a pro.
---
Big Money. Big Women. Big Fun.
Skillz Ferguson
#18HighOnPhazonPosted 10/27/2013 11:18:52 PM
If you want any help in Civ V, PM me. I really love the game, especially with both DLCs. If you don't have those, do yourself a favor and get them. Anyway, watching lets plays on youtube by the previously mentioned Quill18 and lurking on the civfanatics forums gave me an incredible amount of knowledge.
---
GT/Steam: AncientToaster
i5 3750K / ASRock Z77 Extreme 4 / Patriot Viper 8GB /Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 3GB/ Corsair TX650
#19claytonbuckleyPosted 10/27/2013 11:41:49 PM
I recently got it with that Joystick voting thing. i just went straight in and played it. Sure i was probably horrible, but i got alot of it.

So that's my advice, set up a game against a couple of easy bots and just learn. you'll suck, but you'll learn.
---
Pointing out your stupidity is not trolling
#20TimePharaohPosted 10/28/2013 2:19:28 AM
TheSchref posted...

Pleasantly surprised.

If he's having problems playing a simplified game, why would someone tell him to play the more complex, deeper one?

Terrible logic and bad expectations, you should feel bad
---
HE are genius, firstly. - ASlaveObeys
GestapoFAQs http://i.imgur.com/prqCDHz.png http://i.imgur.com/ooNGE4u.png