This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How much of an investment would I need to build a Mid-High end PC?

#1Chaosoldier1986Posted 10/27/2013 8:27:52 PM
I want to get into PC gaming, and I was wondering what all parts do I need/buy to have a gaming Rig that would last 5-10 years? Also where on the internet can I go and learn how to construct a PC?

So far I bought a Nvidia Geforce 760 GTX and a 550w Power Source for my current computer I bought from Best Buy back in 2011. I would also like to have 16G of Ram.

Sorry for all the questions, Im a Console Peasent that wants to get on the PC Master Race Bus in-case Console Gaming crashes.
---
Rated M for Minors?
#2DerPancakePosted 10/27/2013 8:31:35 PM
A 800 dollar PC can easily last you 5 years if you don't mind low settings.
---
Megagunstarman
you do know that the ps4 has ddr5 ram right? with the speed that the ps4s ram downloads at it would only take a few seconds to download killzone
#3Chaosoldier1986(Topic Creator)Posted 10/27/2013 8:33:00 PM
DerPancake posted...

I was hoping to get the setting that's just under max.
---
Rated M for Minors?
#4TheSchrefPosted 10/27/2013 8:37:28 PM
Bought a 650 dollar computer about 2 1/2 years ago that can run Far Cry 3 on ultra between 40-60 FPS. Looks like I'm gonna have trouble with the upcoming games like Watchdogs though.
#5DerPancakePosted 10/27/2013 8:39:23 PM(edited)
Chaosoldier1986 posted...
DerPancake posted...

I was hoping to get the setting that's just under max.

Well in five years the low settings could be the max of today, i don't know. Well really depends on the game, not all PC games push the bar like Crysis.
---
Megagunstarman
you do know that the ps4 has ddr5 ram right? with the speed that the ps4s ram downloads at it would only take a few seconds to download killzone
#6El_KazPosted 10/27/2013 8:39:54 PM(edited)
5-10 years is a bit too ambitious for any budget, really. In terms of electronics, 10 years is a loooong time.

$600-700 will take you a long way (especially if we're only talking about the parts; i.e. not including peripherals, monitor(s), OS and the tower itself), but no one can really predict how slowly or quickly current parts will become obsolete.
---
Wait... what?
#7Abiz_Posted 10/27/2013 8:43:57 PM
So basically you want it to last the next console generation? Not sure what you have right now for cpu and ram but just wait til Intel comes out with a cpu that is 6 core. That will probably be able to last through next gen.
---
Interestingly enough, video game companies used to be able to make money without selling out like cheap prostitutes.-KaiserWarrior
#8Chaosoldier1986(Topic Creator)Posted 10/27/2013 8:49:26 PM
DerPancake posted...

Well in five years the low settings could be the max of today, i don't know. Well really depends on the game, not all PC games push the bar like Crysis.

Well so far my PC Libaray consists of:

Guild-Wars 2
World of Warcraft "Retired"
Path of Exile
Elder Scrolls Anthology

Other than wanting to pick up Amnesia the Dark Descent, Im not sure where to look for games that suit my tastes.

Tastes being:
RPG's
MMO's
Non--PvP Shooters
Action-Adventure
Survival Horror
Beat-Em Up's
---
Rated M for Minors?
#9Chaosoldier1986(Topic Creator)Posted 10/27/2013 8:51:44 PM
Abiz_ posted...
So basically you want it to last the next console generation? .

What Im asking in a nutshell. IMO Electronics should last that long, but than again Im an ignorant console peasant.
---
Rated M for Minors?
#10Chaosoldier1986(Topic Creator)Posted 10/27/2013 8:55:30 PM
El_Kaz posted...

$600-700 will take you a long way (especially if we're only talking about the parts; i.e. not including peripherals, monitor(s), OS and the tower itself), but no one can really predict how slowly or quickly current parts will become obsolete.

I have very little clue as to what makes a computer. I tend to being saving money until Spring 2015 when I will start this project with about $880-$1000
---
Rated M for Minors?