This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is Ever17 worth playing?

#1harcoreblazerPosted 10/27/2013 7:31:17 PM
I heard it has a good story comparable to 9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors. But it seems there are also other games on the series and within the same universe.

Do i have to play the first game first? Since apparently this is the 2nd one.
---
PSN/Steam = retrohunter95.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QS4HQWWuqP8&feature=youtu.be
#2StormKMDPosted 10/27/2013 9:59:39 PM
Idk much about that one, but....if you've never played it:

http://www.katawa-shoujo.com/

Great VN. Fantastic even.
---
MSI 660 GeForce 2GB | i5 3570K | AsRock Z77 Pro3 | Seagate Barracuda 500GB | Ballistix 8GB | Corsair CX430
#3self-immolationPosted 10/27/2013 10:37:20 PM
just play ever17

don't worry about the other games unless you become some fanboy
---
SMELL THE GASOLINE
I LIGHT THE FIRE INSIDE
#4WhereIsSelfPosted 10/27/2013 11:11:52 PM(edited)
Yeah, it's the second game in the Infinity series.

Never7 is really old, so the art style and the audio quality is kinda bad, characters are sort of cliched, but the twist ending is good, and it's not too long, so you wouldn't have to spend too much time on it. Overall it's pretty average.

Ever17 is awfully boring for the first 3 routes. The characters are annoying as f***, and about 5 hours in the story, I wanted them all to die a horrible death. This has never happened with any other VN, so good job writers, I guess.
The only really good route is the fourth one, it's worth playing just to see that IMO.
The fifth (final) route has a REALLY good twist (I'll admit, as much as I dislike the VN as a whole), but it has some weird pacing issues, and it feels like some scenes were added just because.
Also a lot of people think Ever17 is like the best thing ever, so I have to state that this is all my opinion, and not a fact.

Remember11 is a f****** masterpiece and like my third favorite VN ever.

The connections are really minor between the three, so you could play just the one and not care about the others, but if you have the time, you might as well try them all.

And Ever17 is written by the same guy who did 999, so if you enjoyed that one, you might like this one. And you probably know this already, but none of the Infinity games have gameplay like 999, it's just choices
#5MasterTurtlePosted 10/27/2013 11:57:37 PM
Ever17 is better than 999 imo but it's less balanced; the first four routes are a very slow drip of mystery and don't have that much else going for them but the last segment is amazing.

Also Remember11 and Katawa Shoujo are both bad. Though in Remember11's case the problems stem from it being unfinished.
---
Can I interest you in a...side mission?
#6WhereIsSelfPosted 10/28/2013 12:10:43 AM
MasterTurtle posted...
Also Remember11 and Katawa Shoujo are both bad. Though in Remember11's case the problems stem from it being unfinished.

Eh, it gives enough info to figure things out IMO, but I get that people would like it more if it had a "more satisfying" ending. I like it because it's really well written, it has a super unique plot and it's the only VN that I've read so far that never gets boring and there's never a scene that you'd think they added just for the lulz or because they needed some padding.
Haven't tried Katawa Shoujo yet so I dunno
#7SpacewhizguyPosted 10/28/2013 12:27:05 AM
harcoreblazer posted...
I heard it has a good story comparable to 9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors.

Story, maybe. However, Ever17's English is awful. I'm not talking about how the story was written but about poorly the translators wrote the English. There are typos everywhere (one of which can literally spoil a major plot point), sentences and phrases don't flow together, and things read pretty unnaturally.

You may or may not enjoy the story, but it doesn't read anywhere near as well as 999.

harcoreblazer posted...
Do i have to play the first game first?

No.
---
What's a sig?
#8Bikes-Posted 10/28/2013 3:14:26 AM
Spacewhizguy posted...
harcoreblazer posted...
I heard it has a good story comparable to 9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors.

Story, maybe. However, Ever17's English is awful. I'm not talking about how the story was written but about poorly the translators wrote the English. There are typos everywhere (one of which can literally spoil a major plot point), sentences and phrases don't flow together, and things read pretty unnaturally.

You may or may not enjoy the story, but it doesn't read anywhere near as well as 999.

harcoreblazer posted...
Do i have to play the first game first?

No.

I believe someone released a patch to fix the broken english a bit.
---
FC: 2921-9087-2265