This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Ok, so I bought Arma 3... I don't see the appeal.

#41josh_bPosted 10/27/2013 11:52:43 PM
Takusho posted...
This has to be a troll topic.

He is defining how a game should be played based on its perspective and partially due to its genre (not in its entirety).

Just because it is an FPS, doesn't mean every FPS has to be played the same. By your logic, every platformer should play like Super Mario, and every Adventure should play like The Legend of Zelda. I'm afraid to find out what your sport genre would play like.

Yes, the game can be described as a sim. You argue that if it is a sim, then it should mean you die once and should be no boundaries. Why do you respawn and why are there boundaries? Because in the end, it is still a game.

Arma III will not play like your typical FPS because that's the route they took. If they wanted it to play like CoD, they would have made it play like CoD (and maybe even call it CoD). If they wanted it to play like Battlefield, they would have done so. But why didn't they? Because they wanted to create their own path using the FPS genre. It's not CoD, it's not Battlefield, it's not Crysis or Borderlands or any other FPS. It's Arma, and it is what it is.

And what it is... it's a great game wrapped around a horrible control system.
---
i5 2500k 4.5GHZ OC, 32GB DDR3, Galaxy GTX670 4GB SLI, MSI P67A-GD55 Mobo, 128GB SSD, Barracuda Green 1.5TB HDD
Xbox live: tanis8585
#42Kosba_2142Posted 10/28/2013 12:05:28 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]
#43SteadyingMeatPosted 10/28/2013 1:45:37 AM
Be a bad cop on Altis Life
---
" hey meat-kun y you no sig? :| "
#44TheDocktor144Posted 10/28/2013 1:45:48 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAryFIuRxmQ

great troll
#45FeatherwindPosted 10/28/2013 3:47:25 AM
If I understand correctly the point of OP is:

ARMA 3 being a sim is not an "excuse" to not have a death match type game mode. It wouldn't be any less of a military sim if it did allow death match style scenarios where the players are confined to do combat in a small part of the map. Also they have already taken breaks from "realism" for the sake of improving the gameplay (allowing the player to respawn). The players are already confined to a map so there is no fundamental difference in confining them to a smaller part of said map but he thinks doing this would improve the combat and gameplay.

It's not bad because it's a sim, he doesn't like it because the game is unbalanced and has pointless restrictions. He would like the combat etc but not some parts of it which he feels are unnecessary (too much time spent traveling, lack of balanced "action").
---
pathological
#46Ikari GendoPosted 10/28/2013 5:15:39 AM
Okay wtf there are deathmatch and tdm maps that take place on a subset of the larger maps but no one plays them.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wdw64aHYXA
#47NfuzedXGamerPosted 10/28/2013 5:59:21 AM
Shoulda just waited for BF4 TC. Its proabbaly funner anyway, Arma is a great simulator for War but for fun factor determines what youre looking for. I never purchase games out of mere curiosity
#4801Philip01Posted 10/28/2013 6:42:33 AM
Atlis life mod!
---
Sent from my iPhone via PowerFAQs 1.12
#49wildog2006Posted 10/28/2013 6:44:19 AM
I've come to the conclusion that TC is either a self-entitled neckbeard, still living in his parents house. Or a spoiled little 12 year old that is probably an only child, who is used to getting their way no matter what.

Grow up. You're wrong. Nothing is going to change that.
---
Insert generic offensive/slightly racist/holier than thou/fanboy/douchebag/elitist comment here.