This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Which game implemented the best New Game+ mode?

#51blunderminePosted 10/28/2013 9:05:09 AM(edited)
The Tales of games have really good new game +. Your performance in the battle earns you points, then you can use those points to buy different factors you want to see in the next playthrough.

Edit: though I see this has been mentioned a few times now.
#52Raj2764Posted 10/28/2013 8:57:29 AM
Deus Ex HR
---
Welcome to GameFAQs home to even bigger Trolls then Skyrim!
You forget a thousand things everyday,Psn-EsKSYRIM
#53skyfire777Posted 10/28/2013 9:11:12 AM
personally, i think soul nomad takes the cake with the demon path. sure you can do it on your first playthrough, but i still think it counts since it's best played during the new game plus mode.

watching all those century-old plans crumble to dust just coz why not?
---
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/691088-xbox-one/66274628
#54akuma634Posted 10/28/2013 9:17:37 AM
Silent Hill 3 had a lot of NG+ content. If you beat the game on the hardest settings there's extreme mode which allows you to unlock 10 variations of it. If you kill the final boss with a melee weapon you get the unlimited SMG, you can unlock a flame thrower, future play throughs can unlock a light saber, then there's the sexy beam which requires a hidden costume and light saber which is pure Japanese cheesiness. There's a ton of secrets in the game that will only work if you've beaten the game and a lot more that require specific win conditions.
---
http://www.last.fm/user/akuma634
#55Black_AssassinPosted 10/28/2013 9:20:54 AM
Sengoku Rance & Devil Survivor 2.

Based on various things you've done during the playthrough, you are awarded points, which you can use to purchase or enable various stuff for your next playthrough.

Basically it's an achievement system that awards you for it. For example you get 100 points for beating a game, and you have those to use for the NG+. If you beat some sort of super boss in NG+, you could get for example 50 points. For NG++, you now have 150 points to spend. You don't lose those points when buying stuff for a new game, so for your possible fourth playthrough you'd still have the 150 points.

I'm not sure if I explained this well, so please ask if it's unclear.
---
lowercase
#56fallenangel2100Posted 10/28/2013 11:07:21 AM
Ninja gaiden series
---
Psn-Godkuma
#57xBrokenxHaloxPosted 10/28/2013 11:22:27 AM
link510 posted...
They're console games, but the Ratchet & Clank games always come to mind when I think of New Game + done right.

You started with all your old weapons and armor, and you can upgrade your weapons another round and there's a feature that adds multipliers to the amount of money dropped based on how many enemies you kill without taking a hit.

My thoughts exactly. Also the persona series did it quite well IIRC.
---
El Psy Congroo
#58Shadow ReaverPosted 10/28/2013 11:54:39 AM(edited)
Tommy2GoGo posted...
I personally tend to hate New Game + modes.
Usually because a majority of the time I can't skip the cut-scenes.

Some games I enjoy the gameplay a lot, but the story mode is what kills it for me.
Like Advance Wars, or Endwar for the psp.

I love the gameplay, but hate the story that I can't skip.
Or shooters in general have unskipable cutscenes at times.

I dream when games get a 'no story' in story mode.
AS IN, I can play story mode without the story elements to them. NO cutscenes, no talking no nothing.
Just go in enjoy the game and redo things you missed / you enjoyed.

That's what stops me from replaying old games at times. I can't just dive into the game. I have to listen to story mode.

Megaman Zero for example.
Megaman X/Zero games I don't care about the story. So I just skip em.

Megaman Zero games (at least the 1,2 I've played) I can't skip the cutscenes.
So I'm forced to see them when all I want is to get to the gameplay.

some games have a mode with NO story. but having a "story mode with NO story" is kind of pointless.
What you want is a game with Both Story mode and a mode that is storyless like Countdown Vampires. In that one you have to unlock Story mode.

But on to topic

Chrono Trigger/Cross -multiple Endings with everything carrying over
Diablo - multiple difficulties with random loot
Nier - new story segments BUT you only get to replay half the game
Devil May Cry series - Everything carries over to higher difficulties
Tales Series - you can choose what caries over and you get multipliers as well.
---
We each play out the parts Fate has written for us. Free will is an Illusion. - Kain
I Pray to no One! Nor will I be prayed to! - Asura
#59metalmariolordPosted 10/28/2013 11:55:18 AM
Kupin posted...
The Last of Us.
Frustrating, sure, but it's very challenging.

With check points every 3 seconds?
Go play a SNES game...
---
Do you judge games by graphics and not gameplay?Only like realistic games?
GO PLAY REAL LIFE!
#60RavenoussdPosted 10/28/2013 11:57:40 AM
In my Opinion,

I think Front Mission 3 for the Ps1 did it the best (though my opinion is obviously biased because FM3 is one of my fav games)

it has two main story lines...both about equally long (55-70 hours EACH)

when you start a new game+ you get to keep all of your acquired skills and your weapon ranks i think..and then start the other story line that INTERTWINES with the other storyline (the same events happen in both story lines. but you get to see an alternative 'side' of the story)
---
1055T | M4a77d | 6gb ddr2 | AMD 6870 | Sonata III | Antec 500w earthwatts | 500gb HD | 27" Monitor | Blu ray/dvd burner | Win 7 Prof | Razer BlackWidow Ult