This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

To wait or not to wait? Some concerns and thoughts...

#11KamenRiderBladePosted 10/28/2013 3:20:47 PM
IMO, the 280X is at the price / performance ratio sweet spot

http://techreport.com/review/25509/amd-radeon-r9-290x-graphics-card-reviewed/13

Tech Report's Value / Cost / Perf chart explains it a little better than I can.
---
Are you a MexiCAN or a MexiCAN'T - Johnny Depp 'Once Upon A Time in Mexico'
#12daveyman23(Topic Creator)Posted 10/28/2013 7:30:28 PM
I went with the 280x guys. Couldn't wait haha

How come Superbiiz didnt charge me tax? Newegg always charges me tax for stuff
#13ShebeskiiPosted 10/28/2013 7:47:34 PM
KamenRiderBlade posted...
daveyman23 posted...
Nvidia is on a similar cadence to Intel

The Tick-Tock strategy.

Since Maxwell will be a new architecture + die shrink, it should be a huge "Tock"

However, with new big releases, prices should go crazy high again in the name of profits.

That's what I'm worried about.

Right right. I'm having a hard time making a decision >_<

You're going to run into the same problem cause both AMD / Nvidia are on a roughly 1 year cycle for new release of products.

Since Maxwell won't be out until next year, I would rather get a mid range GPU that I can be content with.

I'd never waste money on a high end GPU / CPU

Mid end is usually where the best bang for your buck is, no matter which company it is.

So with that in mind, my recommendation is to go mid end.

http://sdrv.ms/16H8FbT

Here is my personal GPU Tier Chart derived from Tom's Hardware GPU Tier Chart's

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-review,3107-7.html

My Tier Chart is easier to read and compare, especially if you download it and view it in excel with split frames to allow viewing two portions of the same sheet.

Anyways, if you look at recent history, yearly minor revisions "Ticks" generally shift performance tiers down by 1 while major architectural and/or die shrinks shift performance tiers down by 2 or more.

Look at the chart yourself if you want to see the evidence over time.

Nice chart. Only gripe I have is you have the GTX 780 lumped in with the 280X and 7970GHz. That's just not true.
---
That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence. - Christopher Hitchens
#14KamenRiderBladePosted 10/28/2013 7:52:02 PM
Shebeskii posted...
daveyman23 posted...
Nvidia is on a similar cadence to Intel

The Tick-Tock strategy.

Since Maxwell will be a new architecture + die shrink, it should be a huge "Tock"

However, with new big releases, prices should go crazy high again in the name of profits.

That's what I'm worried about.

Right right. I'm having a hard time making a decision >_<

You're going to run into the same problem cause both AMD / Nvidia are on a roughly 1 year cycle for new release of products.

Since Maxwell won't be out until next year, I would rather get a mid range GPU that I can be content with.

I'd never waste money on a high end GPU / CPU

Mid end is usually where the best bang for your buck is, no matter which company it is.

So with that in mind, my recommendation is to go mid end.

http://sdrv.ms/16H8FbT

Here is my personal GPU Tier Chart derived from Tom's Hardware GPU Tier Chart's

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-review,3107-7.html

My Tier Chart is easier to read and compare, especially if you download it and view it in excel with split frames to allow viewing two portions of the same sheet.

Anyways, if you look at recent history, yearly minor revisions "Ticks" generally shift performance tiers down by 1 while major architectural and/or die shrinks shift performance tiers down by 2 or more.

Look at the chart yourself if you want to see the evidence over time.

Nice chart. Only gripe I have is you have the GTX 780 lumped in with the 280X and 7970GHz. That's just not true.

Send your complaints to Tom's Hardware.

When you have a Perf Tier, there is a range of performance, as to what criteria Tom's Hardware uses is still a mystery to me.

But the perf gap can't be that big between the top and bottom within a tier.
---
Are you a MexiCAN or a MexiCAN'T - Johnny Depp 'Once Upon A Time in Mexico'
#15ShebeskiiPosted 10/28/2013 7:56:28 PM(edited)
That's almost straight bias right there.

The 780 is way closer to the Titan than it is any of those cards it's lumped in with. The 6990 is garbage tier, too. It doesn't even perform reasonably well in new games given how bad the architecture is on that chip.

Then add in how they didn't really fix CF for the 6000 series and... it's just there as a theoretical. In practice it's probably in with the 660.

Just realized the 5970 is lumped in with the 670. I'd love to see a 5970 perform like a 670.

I guess this is true of all dual GPUs, but still...
---
That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence. - Christopher Hitchens