This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I remember yet another reason I hate MMOs

#1KillerTrufflePosted 10/28/2013 10:16:59 AM
So I downloaded Path of Exile last night cuz the large skill tree was interesting. I hadn't realized it was an MMO (missed that in the classification area on the side).

I got it installed, selected a region, selected a character class (the class descriptions were oh-so-useful :P), and typed a name. Already taken. What? This is MMO? Crap. OK... I tried a different, more unusual name. Taken. As were the next 28 or so names I tried. I finally tried "NoDamnNamesLeft," and surprisingly, it was free. Finally entered the game with NoDamnNamesLeft, killed a few things, leveled up once, got to an outpost, and saw other people running around - every single one of them with equally ridiculous names. For me, stuff like that absolutely destroys immersion. Not getting to actually build the character I wanted with the name I wanted, and then seeing people like "I Keel You" running around is just stupid.

Shortly after that, I was apparently disconnected from the server and dumped back to the region select screen (unreliable servers is another major complaint I have with online games). That was a perfect opportunity to quit, delete all local content for the game, and renew my sheer hatred for that absolute plague of a genre.
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23
#2ThePCElitistPosted 10/28/2013 10:20:02 AM
I never run out of names! I mean I am SephirothStrif3LockhartXxXxXxxxxXOMEGAWEAPON after all.
---
When I'm Miqo'te
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3LGf9SSWrU
#3ShubPosted 10/28/2013 10:22:18 AM(edited)
I enjoyed the game and didn't care much about any of what you just said, but the game frequently crashes when changing areas at random, meaning I can try to get into an area, the game crashes, I log back in, try to get back into the same area and it works. However there's now this one area I need to get into and the game always crashes when I try to get in there. There's no way around it so I'm stuck.
Sorry, I guess that has nothing to do with your post but since you brought up PoE, I had to voice my displeasure.
Anyway, back to the name thing, I used a fantasy name generator and had to go through a couple before the game didn't reject it as a duplicate.
---
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.
#4arleasPosted 10/28/2013 10:34:16 AM(edited)
The whole internet is going to be like that eventually....Imagine telling your grandkids about the time you chose the name "KillerTruffle" and didn't have to append a seemingly random 8 digit number to the end of it. They'll eCommute to school the next day and message all their friends about how their Grandfather is the ORIGINAL KillerTruffle.

"whoa... He's OLD!"
---
http://raptr.com/badge/arleas/uc.png
http://i.imgur.com/G7PNnZ8.gif
#5Maiken100Posted 10/28/2013 10:34:31 AM
Ok.
---
Next Gen: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJt3TOFUxPs
#6SinisterSlayPosted 10/28/2013 10:36:10 AM
Yeah I was surprised to see most of my names taken, including SinisterSlay, SinisterSlayer, SinSlayer, SinSlay. I'm not sure who took all of those.
I managed to get SinisterSlaya.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#7KillerTruffle(Topic Creator)Posted 10/28/2013 10:36:43 AM(edited)
(In response to Shub) Actually, it does have a bit to do with my post - unstable servers.

The thing that really stood out tho was spending 5 minutes trying to create a bloody character with NO names available. With SP games, either the character already has a name, or I can use any name I want. And I don't end up running into someone like PCElitist's character up there destroying any immersion. ;)

There are just so many drawbacks to online gaming. I can see how some people might enjoy it, but I get most of my social interaction IRL, and use gaming as an escape to fuel my imagination, creativity, or mindless violence. heh Poor mechanics, heavy time wasting built in, unreliable servers, troll players, and tendency to destroy immersion (even if you mute all the channels so you don't have to see all this immersion-breaking "LFG" or "WTB com str gem" and crap) all ruin the genre for me tho.
---
#8I_Am_On_FirePosted 10/28/2013 10:38:08 AM
It can be a bit of a challenge, but I actually enjoy thinking up new names. It's sort of cool to go back through all of the games I've played and look at the game I use.
---
HAF 912 | i3-3220 @ 3.3 GHz | SAPPHIRE HD 7850 2 GB OC Edition | Corsair CX430 | 8 GB Corsair XMS3 1600 | Seagate Barracuda 2 TB | MSI B75MA-P45 | Win 8x64
#9SinisterSlayPosted 10/28/2013 10:38:34 AM
KillerTruffle posted...
(In response to Shub) Actually, it does have a bit to do with my post - unstable servers.

The thing that really stood out tho was spending 5 minutes trying to create a bloody character with NO names available. With SP games, either the character already has a name, or I can use any name I want. And I don't end up running into someone like PCElitist's character up there destroying any immersion. ;)

There are just so many drawbacks to online gaming. I can see how some people might enjoy it, but I get most of my social interaction IRL, and use gaming as an escape to fuel my imagination, creativity, or mindless violence. heh Poor mechanics, heavy time wasting built in, unreliable servers, troll players, and tendency to destroy immersion (even if you mute all the channels so you don't have to see all this immersion-breaking "LFG" or "WTB com str gem" and crap) all ruin the genre for me tho.

I agree, the game would have been better if it was single player.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#10KillerTruffle(Topic Creator)Posted 10/28/2013 10:40:29 AM
arleas posted...
The whole internet is going to be like that eventually....Imagine telling your grandkids about the time you chose the name "KillerTruffle" and didn't have to append a seemingly random 8 digit number to the end of it. They'll eCommute to school the next day and message all their friends about how their Grandfather is the ORIGINAL KillerTruffle.

"whoa... He's OLD!"

Yeah... I've already seen variations on my name other places, and on occasion, actually found my name already taken. I've been KillerTruffle since the mid 90's or so tho, and I don't think anyone beat me to it... so I do consider myself the original. heh

SinisterSlay posted...
Yeah I was surprised to see most of my names taken, including SinisterSlay, SinisterSlayer, SinSlayer, SinSlay. I'm not sure who took all of those.
I managed to get SinisterSlaya.

I actually tried several variations of KillerTruffle, and none were available - not that I wanted any of those anyway, since I don't want to play RPGs as my online handle. :P
---