This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I remember yet another reason I hate MMOs

#31metalmariolordPosted 10/28/2013 12:01:08 PM
Happily a name like my username is always free.
---
Do you judge games by graphics and not gameplay?Only like realistic games?
GO PLAY REAL LIFE!
#32DoramiPosted 10/28/2013 12:50:03 PM
Ican usually get mundane names like Holly-BR or Katya-BR. Maybe you just need to broaden your horizons a bit?
---
"...Ashley takes on Lord Blazer alone in a white cape with flowing rockstar hair while playing his impossibly cool sword as a guitar..." - LBoksha
#33boktai3Posted 10/28/2013 1:04:26 PM
ah the benifits of having a character name nobody else uses, it's good to be orginal, or hell, play D&D once and use your characters name, it's never taken unless you just took it from a book or something.
#34KillerTruffle(Topic Creator)Posted 10/28/2013 1:14:49 PM
I actually did try a couple old D&D (well, MERPS) names, and they were indeed taken. I was seriously shocked by how *every* name I tried was used.
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23
#35boktai3Posted 10/28/2013 1:17:27 PM
they weren't very original then sadly lol, but hey, that's what you get for joining in late.
#36HippopotamusRexPosted 10/28/2013 2:17:55 PM
MMOs are the only place to get the highest level of complexity and boss difficulty. AI is nowhere near good enough to compensate for a really good human party member, and a solo game will not have the mechanics available to create an encounter as difficult. Sounds like someone just doesn't understand what the genre has to offer.

And no, the other 9, 15, whatever people in your raid are not holding you back. Your skill is holding you back. If you were good enough, you'd find people on your level to raid with, I guarantee there are plenty of really, really good players that you'll be holding back if you reach into the right stratum.
#37KillerTruffle(Topic Creator)Posted 10/28/2013 2:31:12 PM
HippopotamusRex posted...
MMOs are the only place to get the highest level of complexity and boss difficulty. AI is nowhere near good enough to compensate for a really good human party member, and a solo game will not have the mechanics available to create an encounter as difficult. Sounds like someone just doesn't understand what the genre has to offer.

And no, the other 9, 15, whatever people in your raid are not holding you back. Your skill is holding you back. If you were good enough, you'd find people on your level to raid with, I guarantee there are plenty of really, really good players that you'll be holding back if you reach into the right stratum.

You've touched on yet *another* problem I see so often in MMOs - holding each other back. I'm not even talking about skill level. I'm talking about active quests - at some point, someone ends up running a quest they don't need because a party member needs it, and doing that relatively often. You can run quests multiple times because certain characters haven't finished them. Rather than advancing your own character, you run around helping those who haven't accomplished what you have, or looking for others to help you. It's virtually impossible to find people who have *exactly* the same quest needs as you. If you play with friends, someone will always be spending time helping someone else. If you play with PUGs (which is absolutely horrible in my experience - every single game I've tried PUGs has been overloaded with trolls), you waste time "looking for group" - which is just fine with the developers who get paid more the longer it takes you to do anything...

I understand some of the draw to MMOs, but in my opinion, they really are a plague on gaming. I've played plenty of games with difficult, impressive boss fights that were not MMOs. And frankly, every single MMO boss fight I've played *or* watched has been difficult only because they give them a couple hundred thousand HP, so you basically have to grind them down, and more players help you grind them down faster.

My distaste for the genre has nothing to do with my "not understanding it." It's just not my thing. I'm not saying you have to hate it too, but every single complaint I have is entirely legitimate.
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23
#38HippopotamusRexPosted 10/28/2013 2:38:20 PM
I understand some of the draw to MMOs, but in my opinion, they really are a plague on gaming. I've played plenty of games with difficult, impressive boss fights that were not MMOs. And frankly, every single MMO boss fight I've played *or* watched has been difficult only because they give them a couple hundred thousand HP, so you basically have to grind them down, and more players help you grind them down faster.

My distaste for the genre has nothing to do with my "not understanding it." It's just not my thing. I'm not saying you have to hate it too, but every single complaint I have is entirely legitimate.

I'm very curious to get a list of these "difficult and impressive boss fights" that you've done that weren't from MMOs.

I'd say you totally don't understand it, and your complaints aren't legitimate. What you described is world boss zerging, which hasn't been a thing since I want to say LoDN back in the mid 2000's. A world boss might come out as a novelty here or there, but bosses are now done in instanced servers, with limits on raid sizes. It's been that way for a good decade now.

Hundreds of thousands of HP? Maybe a launch title will have a raid boss with hundreds of thousands of HP, but you can expect HP well into the millions. HP doesn't mean a thing either. Baal from Disgaea D2 has 400 billion HP, but he's not any harder than perhaps a 6/10 difficulty raid boss. The idea you have in your head that you're just tanking and spanking and whittling down a boss's large hp pool tells me you've no clue what you're talking about and have never fought a real raid boss.
#39EternalFlame66Posted 10/28/2013 2:42:52 PM
I don't know why you tried PoE since it's pretty much garbage and is not really representative of the MMO genre.

If you want to try a decent MMO, give guild wars 2 a shot.
---
Such is your fate.
#40Orestes417Posted 10/28/2013 2:46:47 PM
Pardon my fit of extreme laughter. GW2 is shallower than Paris Hilton
---
If they asked how I died tell them: Still angry.