This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I remember yet another reason I hate MMOs

#61KillerTruffle(Topic Creator)Posted 10/28/2013 4:32:32 PM
Judgmenl posted...
TC PoE isn't even an MMO. It's a single player game with optional multiplayer.

Furthremore: http://puu.sh/52lFP.jpg

KillerTruffle posted...
Path of Exile requires constant online connection (another no-no for me). It requires not just a unique user account, but every single *character* in the entire game must have a unique name. It has continually active channels for general chat and trade (turned those off ASAP). And it is indeed listed as an MMO on Steam, which I missed prior to downloading.

I'm not saying Steam is right, because persistent world is a big factor of MMOs - PoE is more along the lines of Guild Wars in terms of classification. But the complaints I have about the genre still fully apply to it, even if it isn't "technically" an MMO... and even if it's not, it still reminded me of another of the many reasons I hate the genre.

---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23
#62HighOnPhazonPosted 10/28/2013 5:08:35 PM
Those people aren't out there killing monsters around you unless you party with them. Only in town do you see them. Its not an MMO
---
GT/Steam: AncientToaster
i5 3750K / ASRock Z77 Extreme 4 / Patriot Viper 8GB /Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 3GB/ Corsair TX650
#63akuma634Posted 10/28/2013 5:14:52 PM
Digital Storm posted...
Nicodimus posted...
Digital Storm posted...
Since when was PoE an MMO?

Since alpha?

So you'd consider Diablo 2 an MMO then.

Diablo 2 is NOT a MMO. It is not a massively multiplayer online RPG. If D2 had 100's of players in one server at a time then it would be a MMO. Having like 6 or so people in each game room is not a MMO. It was an action RPG with online play as an option.
---
http://www.last.fm/user/akuma634
#64machetemanPosted 10/28/2013 8:23:59 PM
akuma634 posted...
Diablo 2 is NOT a MMO. It is not a massively multiplayer online RPG. If D2 had 100's of players in one server at a time then it would be a MMO. Having like 6 or so people in each game room is not a MMO. It was an action RPG with online play as an option.

exactly...and D3/PoE are action RPGs with online play as the ONLY option. thats the only difference.

Not an MMO.
#65KillerTruffle(Topic Creator)Posted 10/28/2013 8:45:47 PM
macheteman posted...
akuma634 posted...

exactly...and D3/PoE are action RPGs with online play as the ONLY option. thats the only difference.

Not an MMO.

Not the *only* difference... I don't remember Diablo 2 having chat channels that spam you constantly unless you disable them... That "feature" used to belong strictly to MMOs. It may have extended to other genres now, but every single game it's in ends up feeling like an MMO, which instantly drops my opinion of it a whole lot. :P
---
#66RemyLebeau_88Posted 10/28/2013 9:12:10 PM
Why does this need it's own thread? Be right back, need to create a thread about music, stealth, and life sim games (also, Mirror's Edge specifically).

Do other people's names in-game break your immersion more than chats/names in FPS games or seeing a player's name in SC2? I can't remember the last loot fest ARPG that I thought of as immersive, even if you stuck to single-player. It's always about finding purple/orange (i.e. rare) gear, by fighting elite mobs and upgrading stats/skills.

Diablo 2 did have a chat feature, unless you don't count the out of game chat and only ever played locked games (seriously, who didn't have an open game invaded by a chat bot at least daily?).

KillerTruffle posted...
I wasn't LOOKING for an MMO. I tried it because it looked more along the lines of Torchlight or Diablo, but with a gigantic skill tree to explore.

That is what PoE is. You could toggle auto-joining chat channels off and it plays quite a lot like D3 in many ways.

---
http://www.ddgamer.com/76561198001005811/camo_sig2.png http://i.imgur.com/K69QYwN.gif
[i5 2500] [8GB DDR3] [GTX 560 Ti] [Corsair 650TX] [Win 7 x64] [1920x1080]
#67my_name_is_EdPosted 10/28/2013 9:21:49 PM
I'm sorry if Sephiroth and Legolas being taken upsets you. It must suck to not be creative or original
---
http://i.imgur.com/cSf50Qs.png
#68bravo1Posted 10/28/2013 10:27:03 PM
KillerTruffle posted...
I'll look at the link when I have some time... but the comment that you can't explain it reminds me very much of the quote: "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough." I've found that to be true in a whole lot of cases, and it seems like it could apply in this instance. How can it not be possible to explain what makes a boss fight great? If it's the working together aspect, how does it apply to your WoW example and not Guild Wars (the original), for instance? Because I've played GW boss fights where you basically had to have a well-coordinated team, each playing certain roles and doing them well - coordinating where one person would apply a curse or debuff, and another had to take advantage of that to lay on additional conditions or whatever. Sure that's kind of fun when it all works, but I don't know about "thrilling." So I'm still very curious what actually makes these raid bosses so much better. So far I haven't really heard anything "incredible."

I've never played Guild Wars, so I can't comment on that but,

I suppose it's different for each person, and I could totally understand how someone wouldn't enjoy raiding, but there is something almost magical about the cohesiveness and teamwork required for progression raiding. It does require a good, fun but serious raid group. Without that, and you've set yourself up for misery.

Sure, when you lock down bosses for farming it all starts to seem mundane, but when you're clawing for progression there's very little margin for error. Progression raiding generally requires 10-25 people operating as a singular well oiled machine. If you've got a tight raiding group that you're progressing with, naturally you develop friendship or, at the very least, a sense of camaraderie, that makes the victory seem so much more satisfying.

Defeating a single player boss that's intensely difficult is a thrilling experience in it's self, now picture being able to share that elation with 9-24 other players that you've spent god knows how many hours working for that moment. Plenty of team based activities offer this, but that's meaningless if you don't enjoy it.

You mentioned holding people back earlier, so I can see why it may not be your cup of tea. Most raiding groups don't see gearing up other raid members as a chore. Usually you spend that time joking, laughing, making the best of it because you know it's going to pay off.
---
3DS FC: 3952-7065-0089
#69KillerTruffle(Topic Creator)Posted 10/28/2013 11:54:42 PM(edited)
RemyLebeau_88 posted...
Why does this need it's own thread? Be right back, need to create a thread about music, stealth, and life sim games (also, Mirror's Edge specifically).

Do other people's names in-game break your immersion more than chats/names in FPS games or seeing a player's name in SC2? I can't remember the last loot fest ARPG that I thought of as immersive, even if you stuck to single-player. It's always about finding purple/orange (i.e. rare) gear, by fighting elite mobs and upgrading stats/skills.

Diablo 2 did have a chat feature, unless you don't count the out of game chat and only ever played locked games (seriously, who didn't have an open game invaded by a chat bot at least daily?).

KillerTruffle posted...
I wasn't LOOKING for an MMO. I tried it because it looked more along the lines of Torchlight or Diablo, but with a gigantic skill tree to explore.

That is what PoE is. You could toggle auto-joining chat channels off and it plays quite a lot like D3 in many ways.

[EDIT: Competitive] FPS and RTS are not about *roleplaying* like RPGs are. Irrelevant point. Also, I don't *want* it to play like Diablo 3, since that game is s*** too. Permanent server connection required = s***. Particularly since I was dumped to the title screen within the first 10 minutes. This perfectly proves a point I have always made that single player games should absolutely NOT require online connectivity, period.

As for Diablo 2's chat feature, I didn't say it didn't. But the only place it was universal was in the game lobby, IF you connected online, BEFORE you entered the game. Once you were in-game, there was only chat between the 4 of you. You were not constantly seeing spam about people joining, leaving, looking for groups, wanting to sell stuff, etc. That was all in the lobby, NOT the game. Big difference.

my_name_is_Ed posted...
I'm sorry if Sephiroth and Legolas being taken upsets you. It must suck to not be creative or original

Nice troll with the insults and all, but you have no idea what names I was going for - and they were not common names, not anime names, not LOTR names (I did say MERPS, but they weren't typical names).
---
#70RemyLebeau_88Posted 10/29/2013 12:08:57 AM
So you tried it because it appeared to be similar to Torchlight/Diablo, BUT that isn't what you wanted it to be. Are you a masochist or just not sure what you want to play? I won't mention any more about in-game names since it seems you find Diablo and Torchlight immersive, but are you really still trying to say there wasn't plenty of chat spamming in D2?
http://i.imgur.com/zhPgkRv.jpg

---
http://www.ddgamer.com/76561198001005811/camo_sig2.png http://i.imgur.com/K69QYwN.gif
[i5 2500] [8GB DDR3] [GTX 560 Ti] [Corsair 650TX] [Win 7 x64] [1920x1080]