This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I remember yet another reason I hate MMOs

#71YukitoRamboPosted 10/29/2013 12:13:48 AM
This world doesn't only revolve around your idea of what roleplaying games are supposed to be for.

I'll continue using names like 'Clay Davis', 'Obamacare' and 'CrazyMofo' all I want because I paid for the damn games too. If you can't cope with that concept, by all means, stay away from MMOs.

And in this day and age, there's no excuse to not research any game you want to buy first. If a game turns out to be not in the genre you somehow thought it would be, then you're the one at fault here.
---
"Blessed is he who expects nothing, for he shall never be disappointed" - Alexander Pope
#72DaedalusExPosted 10/29/2013 12:21:40 AM
KillerTruffle posted...
As for Diablo 2's chat feature, I didn't say it didn't. But the only place it was universal was in the game lobby, IF you connected online, BEFORE you entered the game. Once you were in-game, there was only chat between the 4 of you. You were not constantly seeing spam about people joining, leaving, looking for groups, wanting to sell stuff, etc. That was all in the lobby, NOT the game. Big difference.

You can disable all the chat. In fact, you said you did that if I'm not mistaken. So what exactly are you complaining about? Clicking a button once?
#73a687947Posted 10/29/2013 12:24:08 AM
i added two extra letters to my own name and it was free
#74Sk0rbutPosted 10/29/2013 1:02:04 AM
Multiplayer, hmm? Who needs that stuff anyway?

http://www.gamefaqs.com/poll/5280
---
I am the bringer of death. Fall to your knees and beg for mercy... Or give me a sandwich, I'm pretty hungry.
#75KillerTruffle(Topic Creator)Posted 10/29/2013 9:19:28 AM
RemyLebeau_88 posted...
So you tried it because it appeared to be similar to Torchlight/Diablo, BUT that isn't what you wanted it to be. Are you a masochist or just not sure what you want to play? I won't mention any more about in-game names since it seems you find Diablo and Torchlight immersive, but are you really still trying to say there wasn't plenty of chat spamming in D2?
http://i.imgur.com/zhPgkRv.jpg

Frankly no - when I played D2, there was absolutely none of that crap. And while it sure is nowhere near something like Planescape or something, you still end up fairly well invested in your character since you are continually customizing it, and that's simply harder to get into when you have a ridiculous name.

Also, keep in mind that I didn't say this is the biggest problem I have with it, just that it's *another* one. It's a problem I don't think about often, but one that remarkably stood out this time because of how long I sat there trying to find a name that was unused. That is all. I don't care if YOU are cool with having symbols or non-names as your name... I'm not - simple as that.

YukitoRambo posted...
This world doesn't only revolve around your idea of what roleplaying games are supposed to be for.

I'll continue using names like 'Clay Davis', 'Obamacare' and 'CrazyMofo' all I want because I paid for the damn games too. If you can't cope with that concept, by all means, stay away from MMOs.

And in this day and age, there's no excuse to not research any game you want to buy first. If a game turns out to be not in the genre you somehow thought it would be, then you're the one at fault here.

If you'll re-read several of my posts, you'll note that you're not saying anything new or surprising. I DO stay away from MMOs for a wide variety of reasons - they are my most hated genre across the board. I stated straight out that I had missed that the game was flagged as "massively multiplayer" on Steam. The implication in that statement is that I *said* it was my fault, so your pointing that out is rather redundant.

I love how so many people seem to jump out to attack anyone who says anything critical about MMOs, as if everyone should absolutely love the genre, and anyone who doesn't has invalid opinions. I'm not criticizing you for liking MMOs. And I'm not complaining that I was duped. No, I didn't research the game in great detail - just basic reading and watching videos, and I never saw any indicator it had MMO features. I'm simply pointing out another thing I see as a flaw inherent in the genre. You may not see it as a flaw, and that's fine, but *I* dislike it, and *I* see it as a flaw, and that's fine too.
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23
#76majinbuu58Posted 10/29/2013 10:06:17 AM
Worknofun370 posted...
HippopotamusRex posted...

I'm very curious to get a list of these "difficult and impressive boss fights" that you've done that weren't from MMOs.

Shadows of Colossus immediately came to mind.

Uhh.. Monster Hunter? Lol