This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Something has gone horribly wrong; no video output, not graphics card.

#1DawnshadowPosted 10/28/2013 5:24:39 PM
Over the past few weeks, my computer has sporadically been crashing while playing WoW. Because it's happening very rarely and in specific circumstances (flying in a specific area of the world-- unfortunately, since it's where the current expansion is taking place it's hard to avoid) and what happened (locked up with no input to the video card) I figured it was a driver issue, reported it to Blizzard and Nvidia, and dealt with having to restart once or twice a week-- it was a very inconsistent bug.

So not too long ago my computer crashed again from that bug; I hit the reset button and... nothing happened. It felt sort of weird when I pushed it-- a different sort of clicky feeling than usual. I held down the power button on the front of the tower, it turned off. Counted slowly to five, pushed it again, and the blue LED around the power button did not come on, although I could heard some fans and the hard drive spinning up, the LEDs on the motherboard lit up, and the hard drive light flashed. The screen stayed on 'no signal'-- not even a BIOS. The speaker on this tower has never functioned, so I don't have any diagnostic beeps to work with.

First suspect: video card. I pulled the video card out and put it aside, plugged my screen into the onboard video, then turned the computer on again to the same result-- no video output. I also tested the screen-- it receives television input from the HDMI cable box just fine, but plugging the computer's HDMI output into it doesn't work, either.

So, I put the video card back in, but I'm at a loss of what to do next. I don't have spares to swap in to test the case and power supply (my next suspects-- I have a gut feeling it's the power/reset buttons on the case.)

I'm just wondering if anyone has any advice on how to possibly fix this, or narrow down options for what's causing the problem. Thanks for your time.
---
I have a blog! Warcraft and other gamer musings.
http://oilstainedlibram.wordpress.com/
#2Erik212Posted 10/28/2013 5:33:13 PM
Try reseating the RAM.
---
Another idea I had was the spy/sniper being able to climb into the soldier's rocket launcher and be launched across the map, dealing more damage, but no splash.
#3Dawnshadow(Topic Creator)Posted 10/29/2013 8:26:54 AM
One of two things fixed the problem-- either reseating the RAM, or unplugging the reset button from the motherboard. It works now. :D
---
I have a blog! Warcraft and other gamer musings.
http://oilstainedlibram.wordpress.com/
#4Erik212Posted 10/29/2013 8:51:37 AM
I had pretty much this exact problem three weeks ago, and reseating just magically fixed it. Gotta love how that works.
---
Another idea I had was the spy/sniper being able to climb into the soldier's rocket launcher and be launched across the map, dealing more damage, but no splash.