This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Looking to get a $3000 gaming laptop

#41cancerstormPosted 10/30/2013 8:44:42 AM
chrono625 posted...
Pepys Monster posted...
OldSorrow posted...
no such thing as gaming laptop

Damn guys, I guess the xoticpc link that keeps getting posted doesn't exist. There's no such thing as a gaming laptop according to this guy.

They don't. It's a marketing gimmick to get people to spend thousands on something they will need to keep plugged into a wall to play for more than an hour and half to two hours.

you're taking the definition of laptop too literally
---
http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/2996/cancerstorm.jpg
#42Knighted DragonPosted 10/30/2013 9:07:13 AM
Truth is, the whole gaming laptop label is a gimmick. Laptops with a ton of power are just mobile desktops. Good for people who travel or need to condense space. If you don't move around a lot or LAN with friends there is really ZERO need for a "gaming" laptop.

This. They are a pretty dumb idea, it's not that much harder to just have a small portable desktop to take to LANs. That's what I do with my old comp, it only takes me a few seconds to unplug it and take it with me, not much more hassle than it is to lug around a 15 pound laptop that has to be on the charger 24/7.
---
Matthew 7:21
http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/2492/gyenyame.jpg
#43occonoPosted 10/30/2013 9:36:07 AM(edited)
chrono625 posted...
occono posted...
ATARIJAWA posted...
josh_bazzell posted...
Go with Asus. They are reliable, and are great for gaming. Mine has a 460m and I can still max out almost every game out there. Also you can overclock the monitors and get a 100hz refresh rate which is nice... (not a joke) I have a G73JW, there are better, newer ones like the G75VW have 3d and everything. They work great for rendering, adobe, CAD, all that stuff too. And just plain rock for gaming!

What are you talking about? I had a 2 gb 560m in my last laptop and it was too weak for modern gaming. My new one has SLI 765ms and i'm still not maxing every game out.

Who said he was maxing games out?

He did

Ah okay, sorry I glanced over it. Yeah that's not right. Probably noticeably better than current-gen consoles, but yeah.

This. They are a pretty dumb idea, it's not that much harder to just have a small portable desktop to take to LANs. That's what I do with my old comp, it only takes me a few seconds to unplug it and take it with me, not much more hassle than it is to lug around a 15 pound laptop that has to be on the charger 24/7.

Yeah that does sound far too heavy. Mine's 2.6 Kilograms (5.7lb).
#44josh_bazzellPosted 11/2/2013 3:48:54 AM
Dragnfyr posted...
josh_bazzell posted...
Go with Asus. They are reliable, and are great for gaming. Mine has a 460m and I can still max out almost every game out there. Also you can overclock the monitors and get a 100hz refresh rate which is nice... (not a joke) I have a G73JW, there are better, newer ones like the G75VW have 3d and everything. They work great for rendering, adobe, CAD, all that stuff too. And just plain rock for gaming!

A 460M definitely cannot come close to maxing every game out there unless you're playing at 1366x768 or lower.

Go ahead and tell yourself that. It overclocks to 850 on the core and almost 3000 on the memory. I only play at 1080 as well. I play Skyrim at completely maxed and get 50fps average. You do not know of what you speak. I can max bf3 except for ambient occlusion and all that crap and get about 50 as well. I got 45 fps on Max Payne 3 with only setting a couple options down a notch. Trust me, the 460m is a bit better than you think. Arkham City with tesselation off and a few dx11 fixes and I get a stable 60 for the most part.
---
My gaming rig: ASUS G73JW: I7 740qm, 8 gigs ddr3, Nvidia Geforce 460m.
I like single player games. Nothing is quite as enjoyable as playing with myself.
#45overkillwfo1978Posted 11/2/2013 6:06:59 AM
ugh. All the broke people come out of the woodwork. Someone who makes decent money, travels alot and likes to game would be well off buying a gaming laptop. If $3k is the end of your world when talking about hobbies, you need an income upgrade.
---
"If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten" -George Carlin
#46shdwdrgnixPosted 11/3/2013 5:54:33 PM
3000$ can be made easily in a couple months
#47LaMichael_JamesPosted 11/3/2013 6:22:19 PM
shdwdrgnix posted...
3000$ can be made easily in a couple weeks

only the poor peasants complain about people who want mobile gaming power
---
bust rb
#48DiehardFFv2Posted 11/3/2013 7:06:37 PM
shdwdrgnix posted...
3000$ can be made easily in a couple months

This. Between Now and January first, I will have about 3500 in discretionary income. All of that on a job that most anyone on this board could have so long as they were willing to get off their ass and not be lazy.
---
3570k | r9 280x | 8GB DDR3 | 256GB SSD | 3TB HDD
#49daftpunk_mk5Posted 11/3/2013 7:22:00 PM
You totally need a $3000 laptop to play Minecraft on high.
---
Some say that his voice can only be heard by cats, and that he has two sets of knees... all we know is, he's called the Stig.
#50kelemvorPosted 11/3/2013 8:49:32 PM
Why do people get so pissed on this board about people spending money on laptops?

Yes, we get it, desktops have a better price/performance ratio. And yes, I promise you, the TC already knows this. Some people make a lot of money and spend it on fancy cars, some people spend it on computers. For example, maybe the TC drives a Honda Civic instead of an Acura TL or whatever, and can afford to buy a sophisticated laptop in addition to his i7 desktop with SLI 780s...

The point is, let him blow his money however he wants. Instead of honest and helpful opinions, he gets negative feedback, to put it mildly. More like unwarranted cries of heresy and idiocy, to put it bluntly. Typical of the PCH board.
---
Kelemvor Lyonsbane