This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Need recommendations for a new PC build.

#1Alucard188(Moderator)Posted 10/29/2013 2:04:54 AM(edited)
This is what I have in my current PC:

-AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Quad Core Processor 3.2GHZ AM3 8MB Cache 125W Retail Box
-MSI NF980-G65 ATX AM3 nForce 980A SLI DDR3 3XPCI-E16 2XPCI-E 2XPCI SATA RAID GBLAN Audio Motherboard
-MSI GeForce GTX 460 Fermi Cyclone OC 725MHZ 1024MB GDDR5 Dual DVI Mini-HDMI DX11 PCI-E Video Card
-Silverstone Strider ST60F 600W ATX12V 20/24PIN Modular Power Supply W/120MM Fan Active PFC
-Antec Nine Hundred Mid Tower Gamer Case 900 ATX 9 Drive Bay No PS Top USB2.0 1394 Audio
-Samsung SH-S182 DVD+RW 18X8X16 DVD-RW 18X6X16 DL-8X DVD Writer IDE Lightscribe Black OEM W/ Software
-Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB SATA3 6GB/S 7200RPM 64MB Cache 3.5IN Dual Proc Hard Drive OEM
-OCZ Vertex 3 120GB 2.5IN SATA3 6Gbps SandForce SF-2281 Solid State Disk Flash Drive SSD (Part#: VTX3-25SAT3-120G)
-Corsair CMZ8GX3M1A1600C10 Vengeance 8GB 1X8GB DDR3-1600 CL10-10-10-27 240PIN Dual Channel Memory Kit

The PSU, case, and DVD tray are all 6+ years old. The mobo, CPU, and GPU are 3 years old. The HDDs and RAM are 1.5 years old. I need to replace my PSU, as my computer will randomly power off without so much as a BSOD or error code. I figure that 6 years is a long life for a PSU, so it may be time to replace it. Nvidia is also doing a Holiday Bundle Sale where if you buy a GTX 660, 670, or 680, you get Splinter Cell Blacklight and Assassin's Creed 4 for free. They have the same bundle for the GTX 760, 770, 780, and TITAN cards, but you also get Arkham Origins with the other two games. I figured that if I was upgrading those two parts, I might as well go the full monty.

I don't need to replace my RAM or HDDs, as they're still relatively new. I want to upgrade my mobo to take advantage of SATA3 and USB 3.0. My only question marks are on the mobo and CPU itself.

I haven't paid too much attention to PC parts lately, but on the cusp of building a new rig, I've decided that I need to research a little on what components I want for it. I've been an AMD guy since my first build, because the chips were always faster and only ran minimally warmer than Intel chips. Hyperthreading was huge when it came out, but it made the Intel chips more expensive than the AMD ones. Is Hyperthreading still a large advantage over AMD, or has AMD finally come up with something comparative in nature? I see that the i5s and i7s are still the relative standard for mid to high range CPUs. I spied this CPU on NCIX:

Intel Core i5 3470 Quad Core Processor LGA1155 3.2GHZ Ivy Bridge 6MB Retail

At first glance, it looks about the same or weaker than my Phenom II, and it's a hair over $200 CAD. The CPU isn't the most important part of my build, and if my current chip is still good, then I can forego upgrading it and focus on the Mobo and the rest of the computer itself.

Right now, I'm just spit-balling, but I'd like yon computer gurus to offer some advice or tips on what I ought to look for. I should also specify that I don't have a budget in mind, as I'm looking for parts right now, and then will grow it into a budget. To put it in perspective, my last full computer build was around $1200.
---
Face it Cloud is a gaming icon and has appered in lots of games while mario has only appeared in 2 games sunshine and 64~xSlashbomBx
#2TimePharaohPosted 10/29/2013 2:18:04 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]
#3Alucard188(Topic Creator)(Moderator)Posted 10/29/2013 2:18:43 AM
TimePharaoh posted...
Anyone who posts advice in here is basically turning over Anne Frank

O...k?
---
Face it Cloud is a gaming icon and has appered in lots of games while mario has only appeared in 2 games sunshine and 64~xSlashbomBx
#4PhilOnDezPosted 10/29/2013 3:13:46 AM
There's not really any comparison between your phenom and an i5, they might both be 3.2 ghz quad cores but clock for clock the i-series is going to run circles around it. If you're upgrading your mobo already then there's no reason not to go intel this time around. AMD's FX parts might have a lower purchase price but their stock cooler is apparently bad enough as to be unusable while intel's works so long as you aren't OCing. AMD also uses more power, enough so that after 2 years the 4670k more than pays for the difference between it and an 8350 at stock clocks, if you OC it pays for itself even faster.
---
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez
#5KabtheMentatPosted 10/29/2013 5:03:55 AM
I have the same CPU as well, and have been looking to upgrade my CPU. IMO, I'll probably go with the i5-4670 over the FX-8350. From what all I've seen the newer i5s just generally perform better than the 8350 in gaming, which is all this machine is set up to do.

As for GPU, out of those you've mentioned, I'd go with whatever you can get the better deal on. All of them you listed are suppose to be pretty good and don't think you can really go wrong with any of them.
---
Big Money. Big Women. Big Fun.
Skillz Ferguson
#6tiger8191Posted 10/29/2013 6:44:21 AM
AMD's FX parts might have a lower purchase price but their stock cooler is apparently bad enough as to be unusable

Lol wut?

My stock heat sink on my fx6300 has done nothing but do its job perfectly fine.
---
www.youtube.com/user/FearsomeBeaver
www.twitch.tv/fearsomebeaver
#7ShubPosted 10/29/2013 6:50:03 AM
Alucard188 posted...

At first glance, it looks about the same or weaker than my Phenom II

Good heavens no, it's a lot better than a Phenom II. But I suggest you look at the Core i5-4430, 4440 or 4570 instead. Or if you have any interest in overclocking, an i5-4670K.
---
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.
#8Alucard188(Topic Creator)Posted 10/29/2013 10:06:10 AM
Shub posted...
Alucard188 posted...

At first glance, it looks about the same or weaker than my Phenom II

Good heavens no, it's a lot better than a Phenom II. But I suggest you look at the Core i5-4430, 4440 or 4570 instead. Or if you have any interest in overclocking, an i5-4670K.

I gathered as much, seeing as my processor was bought 3 years ago for around the same money, I think. I was taken back by how it has the same relative numbers as mine. I knew that I wasn't going to buy the i5 that I detailed above, but I threw it up there for comparison. Thanks for the suggestions so far. To open another discussion, what would be a good mobo to pair with the i5 you mentioned and a Geforce GTX 760?
---
#9ShubPosted 10/29/2013 10:13:06 AM
Right, you'll find that things like clock speeds have mostly plateaued these days, which is why your 3.2 GHz, quad-core Phenom II X4 might look identical to a 3.2 GHz, quad-core Core i5-3470 on paper. That's where the similarities end, though. For many years now, CPU development has shifted from minor changes in architecture and incremental boosts in clock speeds, to more encompassing architectural modifications if not complete revamps, retaining similar clock speed levels.
In other, shorter words, the Core i5 is able to do more in a single clock cycle than the Phenom II X4 even though they have the same clock speed, giving an obvious edge to the Core i5.
See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Megahertz_myth for more on that topic.
---
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.
#10Alucard188(Topic Creator)Posted 10/29/2013 10:18:52 AM
Ah, I see. I suppose that you can only increase the bus speed so much before it becomes like trying to coax 2 more MPH out of a Bugatti Veyron. So, an i5 4000 series chip sounds like what I'll go with.
---