This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

About game reviews in general ... a must read!

#11reincarnator07Posted 10/29/2013 4:40:11 AM
The problem is many people just look at the scores instead of the justification for those scores. As stated, a review is just someone's opinion on the game. Things that make a game good for someone will make it bad for someone else. Many fans of CoD love the simplicity of the game and the mechanics, while fans of games like ARMA may hate this simplicity.
---
Fan of metal? Don't mind covers? Check out my youtube and give me some feedback
http://www.youtube.com/sircaballero
#12Bellum_SacrumPosted 10/29/2013 5:47:29 AM
ECOsvaldo posted...
Cool_Dude667 posted...
How is this a must read exactly?

It's common sense.

This is aimed for people who rely on review scores to make their "smart and educated" purchases.

And somehow you believe people dumb enough to rely on review scores are going to read more than one line of text
---
"Now go ahead and leap ignorantly to the defense of wealthy game companies who don't know or care about you."
#13SinisterSlayPosted 10/29/2013 5:51:19 AM
I like the scores.

When reading reviews, I read the highest, the middle, and the lowest to get an average about the opinions.

I couldn't get an idea about how positive or negative a review is without those scores.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#14Unbridled9Posted 10/29/2013 6:34:34 AM
I loved DLC quest. I also gave it a 3 in my review because, as a game, it is nothing more than a critique of the current trend of DLC and not an actual game. The only reason it even got a 3 was because of how fun the game was. If it hadn't been fun it would have been lucky to get a 2. With that said, I loved the game and don't regret buying it at all.

A score is only part of a game review. Explaining why is, by far, the more important part. No one reads why though. They only see a score and, if it doesn't align with their expectations, people go ballistic.
---
Sanity. The most important, yet most lacking, thing in the world these days. Try sanity today! Accept no substitutes!
#15Hi CPosted 10/29/2013 6:34:45 AM
Labeling your own post a "must read" should be grounds for instant suspension like joking about being underage.
---
You'll be my John G.
#16BlackWizardMagusPosted 10/29/2013 6:59:43 AM
I dunno, I like the numbers as a broad metric. I don't base my decisions off them completely, or even mostly. But if I read several reviews for two or more games, and I'm torn about which to buy (and don't say buy them all, I have bills to pay), but there is a notable difference in their average scores, I'll get the higher one. If people are too dumb to do that, well, that's their loss. Besides, I don't read EVERY review, I get a smattering of the low scores, high scores, and in-between; but I need scores to tell me which kind I'm reading.
---
"The black wind howls. One among you will shortly perish"
Magus
#17ECOsvaldo(Topic Creator)Posted 10/30/2013 12:44:41 AM
Hi C posted...
Labeling your own post a "must read" should be grounds for instant suspension like joking about being underage.

Really?!?! I guess you're one of them who take game reviews seriously!
---
PSN ID: ecosvaldo | 3DS Friend Code: 2707-1633-0103 | PC: http://pcpartpicker.com/b/ABH
#18CatToyPosted 10/30/2013 2:15:05 AM
Scores are typically arbitrary. There's never a break down of what is removing how many points. Sites like IGN and Gametrailers use a ten point scale with decimals, effectively making them a 100 point scale, without explaining just how the review is affecting the score (IGN grades different areas of the game individually but the final score is not an average). This problem is compounded by the fact that most people are going to ignore games under 6 anyway, making 1 to 6 basically pointless.

In my opinion, a review score should realistically be only four points:

1: Bad game, nobody should play it.
2: Hardcore fans of the genre may enjoy the game.
3: Everyone interested in the genre may enjoy the game
4: Nearly everyone can enjoy the game.

Because that's really what the 10 point scale has boiled down to anyway. Just cut the fat and the arbitrary decimals.
---
pon pon way way way ponpon way pon way pon pon, way way ponponpon way way pon way pon way way.
#19SlaynPosted 10/30/2013 5:04:06 AM
I don't know the purpose of this. Do you really think this is enlightening? Are you a jr. college freshman philosophy major? Are you really changing anyone's mind on reviews? Should I just not pay attention to reviews, and buy a game on a whim?
---
You can buy a $500 console and a $500 computer and have two crap machines, or you can spend $1000 building your own computer and have the best of both worlds.
#20MashYouGoodPosted 10/30/2013 5:06:34 AM
All the consumer needs to know is video games are adjudicated upon using the tried and trusted '8 to 10' scale; where 8 = passable and 10 = whoever is paying the most advertising dollars to the site giving the review.