This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Need Gaming Laptop -- $1700-$1800 Budget

#11self-immolationPosted 10/29/2013 12:44:53 PM
yes

alienware is the best though but for similar specs you're going to spend about $300-400 more
---
SMELL THE GASOLINE
I LIGHT THE FIRE INSIDE
#12The_Down_BelowPosted 10/29/2013 1:45:33 PM
I would be more worried about one of your components failing due to heat problems than upgrading in a span of 5 years. Based on experience gaming laptops barely reach the 2 year lifespan.
#13theblurch(Topic Creator)Posted 10/29/2013 1:47:50 PM
The Asus I had lasted 3 years.
---
XBL: T Skillet ///// Steam ID: The Blurch
Currently Playing: Shadowrun Returns, Rogue Legacy, Civ V BNW
#14SilentHawk29Posted 10/29/2013 3:02:17 PM
TC, you could look at Clevo/Sager. I went from an ASUS G73jh to a Sager NP9170. Was a wonderful jump, just have to deal with this stupid Enduro now (Optima if I swap to an Nvidia card). My next laptop will have no power saving secondary card to avoid these issues, but that won't be for awhile.

self-immolation posted...
yes

alienware is the best though but for similar specs you're going to spend about $300-400 more

But have a better warranty in the process with house call service.

The_Down_Below posted...
I would be more worried about one of your components failing due to heat problems than upgrading in a span of 5 years. Based on experience gaming laptops barely reach the 2 year lifespan.

None of my gaming laptops have failed because of heat. Most of the problems due to heat are fixed due to a simple CPU/GPU repaste. Thermal reflective tape is also a cheap mod that works wonders.
---
PSN - Srikar || Steam - SilentHawk29
My car: http://img708.imageshack.us/img708/8583/86coupe.jpg
#15theblurch(Topic Creator)Posted 10/29/2013 4:25:11 PM
So would the MSI be able to hang with the next generation of games, at least on decent graphics settings?
---
Sent from my iPhone via PowerFAQs 1.12
#16theblurch(Topic Creator)Posted 10/31/2013 7:54:03 AM
i wouldn't go beyond 16 gb ram. and if it's a laptop i'd definitely buy a 256 gb ssd and use that to boot from. probably can get one black friday $150 or less

theblurch posted...
My main concern is getting a laptop that won't need to be upgraded for a few years and will be able to play next gen games once they start coming out for PC

that's inevitable but you'll be able to play game on medium-high for at least 5 years. gtx 780m right now will let you play some games on max but basically everything on high settings at native 1080p

Is there a reason for not going beyond 16GB RAM?
---
#17DiehardFFv2Posted 10/31/2013 8:19:52 AM
theblurch posted...
i wouldn't go beyond 16 gb ram. and if it's a laptop i'd definitely buy a 256 gb ssd and use that to boot from. probably can get one black friday $150 or less

theblurch posted...
My main concern is getting a laptop that won't need to be upgraded for a few years and will be able to play next gen games once they start coming out for PC

that's inevitable but you'll be able to play game on medium-high for at least 5 years. gtx 780m right now will let you play some games on max but basically everything on high settings at native 1080p

Is there a reason for not going beyond 16GB RAM?

There's no real use for it beyond certain programs or for extremely specific scenarios. Even 16GB is more than needed for right now and with RAM prices still being double what they were not to long ago, now isn't really a good time to stock up for what if scenarios.
---
Intel i5 3570k | Sapphire r9 280x | 8GB DDR3 | 256GB SSD | 3TB HDD
#18Fade2black001Posted 10/31/2013 8:25:40 AM
If you HDD drive died why not just spend 70 bucks on a new one then?
---
We're Americans! We don't quit just because we're wrong.
We just keep doing the wrong thing until it turns out right.
#19theblurch(Topic Creator)Posted 10/31/2013 11:28:18 AM
Fade2black001 posted...
If you HDD drive died why not just spend 70 bucks on a new one then?

Even though it's 3 years old, it was getting long in the teeth anyway. I didn't spend much on it and it's having a hard time playing newer games.
---