This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Anyone else struggle to be impressed by realism graphics anymore?

#1thefabregas22Posted 10/29/2013 5:36:25 AM
Even when playing the best looking pc games at max settings I can always notice "oh that texture is sorta muddy" "oh that poster on the wall isn't the highest res ever and could be improved" "oh that can on the floor doesn't look so I good that I'd believe it were a true can" "oh the blood effects spurting out of this guys neck doesn't look like the real thing"

I can always notice the flaws in games that are going for high realism graphics, frankly I think they only way I could be impressed by realism graphics now is if it were truly lifelike in every sense of the word.

Anyone else agree?
---
NNid: AdmiralClassy
Psn: AdmiralClassy
#2Cool_Dude667Posted 10/29/2013 5:42:28 AM
Have you played Metro:Last Light?
---
Not changing this sig until Christ returns -- Started 30 A.D
3770K @ 4.2Ghz | 16GB Corsair Vengeance | GTX 670 SLi
#3thefabregas22(Topic Creator)Posted 10/29/2013 5:44:19 AM
Cool_Dude667 posted...
Have you played Metro:Last Light?

not yet no
---
NNid: AdmiralClassy
Psn: AdmiralClassy
#4LostHisHardcorePosted 10/29/2013 6:02:01 AM
I feel that graphics have reached an apex and that aside from a few bells and whistles that PCs can power through, it's the art direction that makes the biggest difference these days.
---
"What we've got here is a failure to communicate!"
"I'm you, I'm your shadow!"
#5clowningPosted 10/29/2013 6:17:18 AM
LostHisHardcore posted...
I feel that graphics have reached an apex and that aside from a few bells and whistles that PCs can power through, it's the art direction that makes the biggest difference these days.

Pretty much this.
---
It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. ...one begins to twist facts to suit theories.... Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
#6SinfullyvannilaPosted 10/29/2013 6:44:31 AM
LostHisHardcore posted...

Keep in mind realism is an artistic direction.

I just think graphics have had massively diminishing returns since about 2003.
---
Also, Chess is a game of skill much like all gameplay only video games. So it is pretty mindless if you think about it.-mtjormitch
#7bluemooglePosted 10/29/2013 6:44:41 AM
I think people that believe any aspect of technology has peaked has been consistently proven wrong time and time again. Graphics will continue to become more life-like, even if it seems implausible now.
---
The statement below is true.
The statement above is false.
#8SinisterSlayPosted 10/29/2013 6:46:13 AM
Eventually there will be dedicated engines and tools for certain things.

We already have physics engines that other devs just buy and use.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#9SinfullyvannilaPosted 10/29/2013 6:58:47 AM
Yeah, in theory, graphics will always be able to look more and more lifelike until we reach a point where the current technological paradigm will reach its physical limit.

However, I believe that it will get to a point where the labor necessary to improve graphics will become unjustifiably expensive and it will pretty much hit a wall there, with the only improvements stemming from techniques that will be more cost effective and less labor intensive.
---
Also, Chess is a game of skill much like all gameplay only video games. So it is pretty mindless if you think about it.-mtjormitch
#10Sc24lifePosted 10/29/2013 6:59:36 AM
I have never been a huge fan of the giant realism push in graphics. That said I was really astounded when Crysis came out.
---
"planetside 2 would only have 30 people running around on a small map fighting."
- GunWolfAlpha